PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the playoffs started today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously there will be changes before the season's end, but I find it amusing (although also disturbing) that the Pats would be playing Oakland in Oakland in the Wild Card round:

NFL playoff picture after Week 10, if playoffs started today - Don Banks - SI.com

I know your point is to show how absurd that sounds at Oakland. But, I want to go another route. I feel SD will win the AFC West. If we don't win the East, good chance our first playoff game is there or Indy. We've beaten the Chargers lately. But, it seems like a struggle for our offense. Don't want to travel to Indy at all in the post-season. Winning the East is of the utmost priority if we want to advance in the playoffs.

Of the teams that have more than one overtime game, four are playoff contenders: Atl, Bal, Buf, GB, KC, NYJ, Was

Of the remaining playoff contenders, four have not had an overtime game (Chi, Ind, NYG, Sea).

Does playing one or two extra quarters have an impact on the ability of a team to go deep into the playoffs (i.e. more minutes means more opportunities for injuries, more wear and tear, etc)?

The AFC contenders look more likely to be beat up than the NFC contenders.

Last edited:
Articles like this are so stupid it's painful. They've played 9 games. The playoffs don't start today. Stop. Just stop.

If New Year's Eve was today we'd be drunk. If it was 2096 today we'd be travelling in flying cars. Banks can't find something a little more relevant to write about?

Articles like this are so stupid it's painful. They've played 9 games. The playoffs don't start today. Stop. Just stop.

If New Year's Eve was today we'd be drunk. If it was 2096 today we'd be travelling in flying cars. Banks can't find something a little more relevant to write about?

This is the column you write when you can't think of anything else. It is ludicrous...and is best pointed out that in just one week, the Steelers went from the best team in the NFL, to "most likely to fade". And so it goes in the "what have you done for me lately" world of the NFL media watch. :rolleyes:

What is not relevant about discussing key upcoming match-ups for each division? We have multiple threads on this board about the upcoming games and their importance.

Last edited:
What is not relevant about discussing key upcoming match-ups for each division? We have multiple threads on this board about the upcoming games and their importance.

Because that's not his primary focus--it's the bogus playoff angle that's asinine.

Probably not flying cars. The future always promises flying cars, but yet, here we are with tires and roads...will they ever come?

Probably not flying cars. The future always promises flying cars, but yet, here we are with tires and roads...will they ever come?

Spacely Sprockets will be the Microsoft of 2096 too. :D

I know your point is to show how absurd that sounds at Oakland. But, I want to go another route. I feel SD will win the AFC West. If we don't win the East, good chance our first playoff game is there or Indy. We've beaten the Chargers lately. But, it seems like a struggle for our offense. Don't want to travel to Indy at all in the post-season. Winning the East is of the utmost priority if we want to advance in the playoffs.
I agree; people keep talking about KC and Oakland, but I think San Diego is the best team in that division by far. At this point they're only a game behind and yet very few here or nationally are talking about them when it comes to the AFCW. It's as if they were written off a few weeks ago and because of that nobody wants to reconsider them.

It looks like the margin for error for a lot of teams is going to be razor thin this year, making every game vitally important. It's like one loss that should have been a win will be the difference between a first round bye with home games throughout the playoffs, and a wild card with three straight road games. Obviously it would be a huge benefit to not have to play at San Diego or Indy.

As for the "if the playoffs started today" question goes, it's fun to look at but at the same time it changes so often it's kind of meaningless right now. If I'm not mistaken a week ago the Pats would have been at KC, and the week before that it was a first round bye. I don't think the Chiefs or Raiders will make the playoffs, but we'll just have to wait and see.

This ones out of woburn
TransitionHess-2.jpg

but this one looks cooler
flying-car-m400.jpg

But seriously what is wrong with discussing what the playoff picture would look like if the season ended today. It paints a good picture of where you are and of where you need to go and what might need to be done to get there.

Lets use the Pats as an example. Sure we could pass the Jets but if we do then the Jets will likely be traveling to Oakland or SD if they pass OAK. It highlights that if we dont take care of business we could be hosed into traveling to the west coast to play a team with several more losses. I could have come to this conslusion without a fully painted playoff picture but whats the big deal with doing so?

Last edited:
Another stupid article about something that means nothing about anything.

The AFC South will come down to the Titans and Colts. I give the edge to the Titans as long as Britt can come back healthy and the injuries bring down the Colts.

The Raiders and Chargers are pretty even down the stretch in terms of strength of opponent, but with Rivers and his WRs coming back into the mix, the San Diego offense will stand to improve. Meanwhile, the Raiders have been playing beyond expectations with a QB controversy they can't seem to resolve.

I can't think of one team I would want the Patriots playing on the road in the first round of the playoffs. The Raiders and Chargers would be highest on the list.

That's so true....ever see "predictions of the future" from years ago? It's always w/the flying cars & stuff. When it comes to guessing the future, transport seems to be what everyone thinks of. Like 50 years ago, nobody was saying "the internet."

Interesting....just seems every generation feels they've invented everything, so the future will just be gussying up what we have now. So what's the great innovation we'll see in 50 years?

(I guess this is just a wee bit off-topic...)

Hey, at least this one is coming out after week ten. When these come out in week 6 or 7, teams haven't even played the same number of games yet :p

1. Jets (8-2)
2. Ravens (7-3)
3. Chiefs (6-4)
4. Jaguars (6-4)
5. Patriots (8-2)
6. Steelers (7-3)

Kudos to the Jaguars being in 1st place at Week 11.

Those pesky Jets just won't give us a damn break.

1. Jets (8-2)
2. Ravens (7-3)
3. Chiefs (6-4)
4. Jaguars (6-4)
5. Patriots (8-2)
6. Steelers (7-3)

Kudos to the Jaguars being in 1st place at Week 11.

Look who ISN'T on that list...

Colts anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back