• Super Bowl

Votes: 58 80.6%
  • League

Votes: 14 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a Pats fan but obviously it's better to have a regular season MVP and a super bowl victory. Besides, super bowl MVPs are kind of cheap; they're almost always awarded to the quarterback of the winning team.

On the other hand, regular season MVPs are much more difficult to attain because even though QBs are favored to win it, there's a lot of competition amongst QBs to see who will get it.

Brady has to compete with Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Aaron Rodgers every year to win the regular season MVP, and that's just counting the quarterbacks.

Ask Marino or Peyton, or any other player thats won the league mvp, if they would trade their League MVP for a SB MVP.

The answer is and will always be the Super Bowl MVP.

Everything else is second place.

This is the kind of thread I'd expect during the off-season. :confused:

This is the kind of thread I'd expect during the off-season. :confused:

Think of it as a welcome break from the "Chad shouldn't be on twitter!" threads.

No offense to the thread creator, but this question is absurd. Nothing.......and I mean nothing compares to winning the Superbowl. How many people can remember how many NFL MVP awards Dan Marino won compared to Superbowl MVP's won by Joe Montana, or even Superbowl titles won by Terry Bradshaw compared to NFL MVP's won by a QB in the regular season. In the end, only one stat really matters when rating a QB's legacy and ranking on the list of great QB's.

Last edited:
Going with SB MVP. It's tougher to win, never mind be #1 of all, in the playoffs.

I'm not a Pats fan but obviously it's better to have a regular season MVP and a super bowl victory. Besides, super bowl MVPs are kind of cheap; they're almost always awarded to the quarterback of the winning team.

On the other hand, regular season MVPs are much more difficult to attain because even though QBs are favored to win it, there's a lot of competition amongst QBs to see who will get it.

Brady has to compete with Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Aaron Rodgers every year to win the regular season MVP, and that's just counting the quarterbacks.

Not sure I agree, but a fair and well-articulated argument. Just wanted to say, Welcome Aboard!

Something about farm fowl and when you should count them in their life cycle.

Besides, super bowl MVPs are kind of cheap; they're almost always awarded to the quarterback of the winning team.

A fact I LOVE to point out to my idiot Steeler fan friends who just love to tout ol' fat Ben as being just as good as Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. Wonder why his WR's won those awards and not him? Because Ben is an avg. QB.

this is a joke right?

Ask Peyton Manning on what he thinks b/c he certainly lacks the bling bling bling

First of all, regular season MVP's rarely win the SB. The last QB MVP to win an SB and an SB MVP was Kurt Warner in 1999/2000.

So 11 years of data suggest that the League MVP is an individual award and not necessarily predictive of team supremacy.

I probably actually agree with you that the League MVP is a more prestigious personal award, but ultimately I feel that this is a team game, as I know perennial greats like Brady and P. Manning also feel, as well as the newest members of their rather exclusive club, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, would agree (no disrespect intended, but I'm afraid that Phillip Rivers has to do better than one trip past the Divisional round and an overall 3--4 Playoff record to be mentioned in the same breath with those guys, in my book).

But, I think that the SB MVP is worth a lot more than you allow. And, you really ought to check your facts before you make a statement like "...super bowl MVPs are kind of cheap; they're almost always awarded to the quarterback of the winning team."

45 Super Bowls have been played and there have been 46 SB MVP's (Harvey Martin and Randy White, both Defensive players, were co-mvp's in that memorable SB XII between the Cowboys and Broncos).

Of the 46, only 24 have been the starting QB, so if you consider 52% "almost always" you are using the term quite loosely.

37 of the awards have gone to players on the offense, so you could probably legitimately say that the SB MVP is "almost always" on the Offense (80%), eight have gone to players on the D and one (Desmond Howard in the Packers defeat of the Patriots in 1996) to a Special Teams player. The award was given to a player on the losing team once, Chuck Howley of the Colts in their classic loss to the (B) Colts in SB V.

So, I guess it comes in part from watching my team go to six SB's over the years, but I realize how hard it is to get to that game and believe strongly that the SB MVP Award is indeed not "cheap." Perhaps you'll see it differently when and if your team gets back there for a second time after, what?, 13 years.

Last edited:
League because I've got a fixed odds bet on at 11/2 to win it.

Week 2 and you guys are already talking Super Bowl??

And to answer original question, def SB MVP

No offense to the thread creator, but this question is absurd. Nothing.......and I mean nothing compares to winning the Superbowl. How many people can remember how many NFL MVP awards Dan Marino won compared to Superbowl MVP's won by Joe Montana, or even Superbowl titles won by Terry Bradshaw compared to NFL MVP's won by a QB in the regular season. In the end, only one stat really matters when rating a QB's legacy and ranking on the list of great QB's.
But his question starts with they win the SB either way.
In other words, which is better:

Patriots win SB, Aaron Rodgers is RS MVP Brady is SB MVP
Patriots win SB. Brady is RS MVP Woodhead is SB MVP

Winning the SB is included in both choices.
Its really a silly question, because the real answer is if we win the SB I doin't care who gets any awards. But your answer misunderstands the question.

It's true that certain players have played great in the SB and therefore the award wasn't cheap for them.

Players like Eli Manning though, got it even though they had lackluster performances. Everyone remembers that one throw he made and that one drive that won them the game; the rest of the game he played like crap.

And, if Patriots fans are being honest with themselves, Tom Brady won a cheap MVP in the 2002 super bowl. These were his stats:

16 of 27 passes completed for 145 yards and a touchdown.

I don't see how anyone can argue that those stats are worthy of an MVP.
i disagree

if you delve into eli's numbers in the sb, you'd realize they were alot better than his brothers, also his sb playoff run was alot better than peyton's sb playoff run as well

eli vs NE in the sb was actually 11 of 14 on 3rd downs , which is christ-like lol

his lone int coming off a pass his own wr tipped to a cb

OMG. I would not jinx TB or the Pats by voting in this poll prior to the 2nd game of the season!!

could someone delete this jinx thread?

let's focus on beating san diego before you plan the superbowl parade.

Would you rather have Brady be named Super Bowl MVP or League MVP? Only pick one. What is more impressive..a 3rd SB MVP or a 3rd NFL MVP?

Would you like to conduct the poll again? I just want to get into the playoffs. After that, let's see what happens.

This thread was not some kind of a prediction, just a question. Don't make it into something it is not.

This thread was not some kind of a prediction, just a question. Don't make it into something it is not.

I'm just asking. Can't we ask the question a week later? Personally I could care less about MVP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back