PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Pats are to win, four future HOFers must be key players

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think this may be one of the weakest teams overall in the BB era in terms of a Patriots playoff team and I think the best chance of this team to advance past this next game and further deeper in the playoffs will require the guidance,play and words of our 4 guaranteed future Hall Of Famers which are...

Tom Brady
Fred Taylor
Junior Seau
Randy Moss

I think Brady needs to be the conductor of the offense while Moss helps out the younger players in learning how to win in do or die games.

Taylor needs to be the mentor to Maroney,BJGE and Morris since he has been through so many battles before,not just the playoffs but in his whole career,Fred is the elder guy here with the experience and he needs to show the backs what it takes to come up big.

Seau is the least likely to see much playing time but he needs to show his value to the team in the locker room and in the short time when he gets on the field and get the young players together as one cohesive unit as he did in SD and I still believe him being a positive leader is why BB resigned him,this is the time to show why he is one of the GOAT defenders.

The key to winning is these 4 guys...Can they pass on experience and knowledge enough to the other players,especially the rookies?....Advancing in the playoffs with many of these guys having little experience will require it IMO.

Last edited:

The key to winning is these 4 guys...Can they pass on experience and knowledge enough to the other players,especially the rookies?....Advancing in the playoffs with many of these guys having little experience will require it IMO.

interesting idea, especially given all the experience on D that was lost in the off season. so, yeah, if Junior is a locker room presence (and I don't know if he is or isn't), then that's a good idea. I think Brady's going to lead on the Offense no matter what, but maybe Taylor can quietly whisper the magic words in Maroney's ear ("Don't Fumble"). As for Randy, I don't know whether he's into the whole "mentoring" thing, but I'm sure he has a lot to impart if he is.

It's hard to mentor winning when you haven't ever had a role in leading a team doing that. Brady is it on this team. as far as HOF'ers go. He's having to lead the guys you cite, too... (although Junior is unique in that at least he's been to two superbowls and nearly won a ring in one which Randy was also on the field for...).

If the Pats are to win, what the whole team needs to do is what Bill always implores them to, just do your job.

I think you are putting way to much stock in the playoff experience thing. Is it a bad thing to have a team full of playoff tested vets? No, is it neccessary? No!

How much playoff experience did the Ravens or Cardinals have last year? How about Green Bay or the Giants in 2007? The list goes on.

And many members of this team have playoff experience/SB victories:

Wilfork
Warren
Wright
Green
AD
Tully
Woods
Sanders
Springs
Merriweather (didn't play much)
Mcgowan
Seau

That is just the defense, on offense:

Brady
Faulk
Maroney
Taylor
Moss
Watson
The entire O-line minus Sebas

If they win it is cause they played well, if they lose it is because they didn't play well enough to win. None of it will because they didn't have any playoff experience. They have plenty of vets, especially on the defensive side of the ball that have been there and done that.

interesting idea, especially given all the experience on D that was lost in the off season. so, yeah, if Junior is a locker room presence (and I don't know if he is or isn't), then that's a good idea. I think Brady's going to lead on the Offense no matter what, but maybe Taylor can quietly whisper the magic words in Maroney's ear ("Don't Fumble"). As for Randy, I don't know whether he's into the whole "mentoring" thing, but I'm sure he has a lot to impart if he is.

I think Randy had something to do with Jabar Gaffney having a good season in 2007...Gaffney was already decent,but Moss's mentoring probably helped a little more.

Seau over Wilfork?? Wilfork is the most important player, next to Brady, on Sunday.. He must stuff that OL and allow the LB to do their job and stop Rice..

Seau over Wilfork?? Wilfork is the most important player, next to Brady, on Sunday.. He must stuff that OL and allow the LB to do their job and stop Rice..

Seau is here to more 'teach' the young guys on defense than he is to play,thats why I say he is important to help the youngsters actually know what they are diving into the next week and hopefully weeks down the road,Seau was not resigned here to just come in a few plays a game,I think there was more to it and this is the week I think he needs to gather up the troops for defensive therapy.

Wilfork is on the field to stop the run game as he does well so often, but I still don't think he is a locker room presence, I could be wrong but just think he is not a motivator,more of a solid player doing his job..no one knows but the guys in there but I think Junior is definately loud inside there.

Last edited:
I think this may be one of the weakest teams overall in the BB era in terms of a Patriots playoff team and I think the best chance of this team to advance past this next game and further deeper in the playoffs will require the guidance,play and words of our 4 guaranteed future Hall Of Famers which are...

Tom Brady
Fred Taylor
Junior Seau
Randy Moss

I think Brady needs to be the conductor of the offense while Moss helps out the younger players in learning how to win in do or die games.

Taylor needs to be the mentor to Maroney,BJGE and Morris since he has been through so many battles before,not just the playoffs but in his whole career,Fred is the elder guy here with the experience and he needs to show the backs what it takes to come up big.

Seau is the least likely to see much playing time but he needs to show his value to the team in the locker room and in the short time when he gets on the field and get the young players together as one cohesive unit as he did in SD and I still believe him being a positive leader is why BB resigned him,this is the time to show why he is one of the GOAT defenders.

Against the Ravens, I wouldn't be surprised if Seau plays quite a bit. If we can stop the run and take Mason out of the game, we win, and Seau helps us do the former much, much better than Guyton can.

Against the Ravens, I wouldn't be surprised if Seau plays quite a bit. If we can stop the run and take Mason out of the game, we win, and Seau helps us do the former much, much better than Guyton can.

Junior was a beast in his prime and is a physical specimen but it'll take a lot more them HIM alone to stop the Ravens rushing attack. It will be a collective effort with PLENTY of 8 in the box. The Pats are going to force the Ravens to throw the ball. Flacco will have to have a solid game and at least 2 passes of 25 yds or more ( to force pass coverage), otherwise it will be tough sledding for the RB's.

Last edited:

Agreed. Gary Guyton recalls the very worst of Monty Beisel when it comes to run D.

....I agree and would also add that if the Patriots are to make any noise in the playoffs this year they need to return to the Patriot offense of old. In the good old days (before this QB and this coaching staff fell in love with this high powered passing attack) this team could power run when they needed to, would dink and dunk when they needed to, they would ultiize ALL their personnel and ALL their playbook. THAT needs to return to this team or we don't get by the Ravens. My hope is the injury to Wes has brought Tom Brady and the coaches back to "reality". The Patriots have won a grand total of 2 playoff games and zero Super Bowls with the focus of this offense being on the high powered high priced big ego passing game. ~Time to get back to playing PATRIOT FOOTBALL~ Enough already with this St Louis Rams Greatest Show On Turf imitation.

I think Randy had something to do with Jabar Gaffney having a good season in 2007...Gaffney was already decent,but Moss's mentoring probably helped a little more.

yeah, i do remember reading about that...thanks for reminding me...i wonder if he's spent any time with edelman...

I hope we're not depending on Seau being a key player. Love Junior, but the under 40 players need to carry the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes