Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats add another WR, who should go?

• Wes Welker

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Julian Edelman

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Brandon Tate

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Taylor Price

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Deion Branch

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Keep them all

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Don't add another WR

Votes: 22 26.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
There has been much discussion over the last few months by many people stating the opinion that the Patriots need to add a wide receiver to the current roster for the 2011 season. Specifically the terms "deep threat" or "speed receiver" are often used to describe this player that Pats fans covet.

Last year the Patriots went typically with five receivers on their 53-man roster and four on their game day 45-man roster: Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, Deion Branch, plus an inactive Taylor Price. Yes, I know Matt Slater is listed as a WR also, but the reality is that his roster spot is a special teams player, not a receiver.

And yes, I do realize that it is way too early to make such a determination as that is what training camp is for, and often times an injury makes the decision much easier; however as fans we do get the luxury of debating these topics even without up close observation.

Assuming the Patriots were to obtain another receiver once free agency begins and trades can be made, then which one of the above would you have the Patriots cutting or trading to make room for this addition?

Last edited:
If Tate doesn't learn that you don't have to jump every time you catch a ball, I suspect he won't make it through camp.

I said keep them all but out of the group if any were to go I wouldn't cry if Tate left but I don't think that will happen due to his KR skills. I think it's too early to cut ties with Price and obviously I want to see Branch, Welker, and Edleman remain.

The one WR I would like to see released with the addition of another is Matthew Slater.

I think the longer the lockout drags on the less likely it is to assume they add a FA WR let alone trade for or trade away one. The transition into this disciplined, demanding and precise offense and working with Brady isn't something that comes easy to even veteran WR's. Absent an offseason in the playbook and OTA's I just don't see anyone catching up or on in camp.

If someone HAS to go, I would choose Tate. But I think the jury is still out him.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are pretty harsh on Tate. I thought that was a pretty decent year considering it was his first real season. Especially when one considers his performance on kickoffs. David Givens barely looked like an NFL player his first year.

If Tate doesn't learn that you don't have to jump every time you catch a ball, I suspect he won't make it through camp.

There is no chance Tate doesn't make the team. He is developing into an elite return man, cutting him makes no sense. He is also going into what is really his second NFL season. He had a good year last year for a reciever who was coming off of a torn ACL as a rookie.

If they have to get rid of one, I think it will be Tate!

Wes and Deion are safe, and to me I think Edelman is aswell, he adds the dynamic punt return!

And Taylor Price has only played one game, and played pretty well.

The one WR I would like to see released with the addition of another is Matthew Slater.

Slater is a WR only because there's no "ST" position.

I don't think anyone is likely to go but if you had to pick one I actually think Branch is the most likely to go simply because football players tend to decline very sharply once they hit the wall and who knows how far Branch is from that wall.

I could also imagine a Welker trade-he only has one more year under contract, Edelman is a decent backup slot receiver, and I wouldn't resign Welker for much given his age, injury history, and how relatively easy it is to find a good slot receiver.

every reverse play he is in nets 10-15 yards:)

I voted last option.

but ALL WILL MAKE IT

Last edited:
Mallett and Tate go to AZ in the Larry Fitzgerald trade.

i say they all make it cause even if the pats do add a WR it will be some over the hill vet or a JAG that wont have a nuff time to pick up the system and will end up inactive or cut

Welker and his understudy slot receiver Edelman seem same.
---------------------------------------------
Tate had a reasonable year as our #3. He really shared that role with Hernandez.
Price has not even started. He will be given a chance.
Branch is the most likely to go if one goes. He may or may not have another year of effective play in him. If we had a high profile receiver, I suspect that it will be Branch that goes.
--------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE
I don't think anyone will go. We'll add a receiver or two, but they may or may not make the team. Besides, there are always the injuries and retirements. So, I suspect all of our 5 will make the 53.

HOWEVER, I don't see a 53 man roster. I think that the will be at least 56 players. A wide receiver could fill one of the extra spots.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you were blind. My condolences.

In what was really a rookie season, Tate made important catches in the Minnesota and Pittsburgh games and the TD in Miami was critical. The kid made plays to help win games.

This was also done with the trade of Moss meant a mid season change to the offense. The only really bad game was in Detroit. I was at the game and somebody should have told him to take a knee on those kickoffs

In 2010, Price had the fastest 40 at the combine. Take that with good size, and it's pretty obvious Hoodie had the "deep threat" thought out. i would say that not drafting or trading for a receiver means Price's red shirt season was well spent.

My guess is Tate would have been more productive if Moss was still on the team for the season. However, a team has to do what you have to do.

Also, receiver is a very tough position to transition. That's why they are usually given 3 year development.

Welker and his understudy slot receiver Edelman seem same.
Tate had a reasonable year as our #3. He really shared that role with Hernandez.
Price has not even started. He will be given a chance.
Branch is the most likely to go if one goes. He may or may not have another year of effective play in him. If we had a high profile receiver, I suspect that it will be Branch that goes.
--------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE
I don't think anyone will go. We'll add a receiver or two, but they may or may not make the team. Besides, there are always the injuries and retirements. So, I suspect all of our 5 will make the 53.

HOWEVER, I don't see a 53 man roster. I think that the will be at least 56 players. A wide receiver could fill one of the extra spots.

Where do you come up with some of this stuff... Roster size was never on the table unless they went to an 18 game season, and even then adding 3 was unlikely. Changes to PUP and IR rules were a lot more likely. When the dust settles the cap is going down. As for Branch, he isn't going anywhere (short of IR if he gets injured once the lockout is over)...

First of all Slater will be gone,his only job being a gunner should make him expendable. Second Welker in the last year of his contract and thirty years old will see his carries greatly reduced because of the TE's and RB's (Gronk,Hernandez, Woodhead,Vereen)use recieveing in the short to intermediate passing game. Also the redundancy of Branch and Edelman also playing the same areas. So I believe BB will seek to trade Welker if he can get a 2nd or 3rd for him out of division. BB likes to get value in return for players at the onset of decline. This spot on the roster will be filled with a trade for a true deep recieveing threat. That threat will be aquired in a trade for our first and second rounders going to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerrald provideing agreement can be reached on a long term contract. Arizona would be wise to move him now because they will get nothing for him after the season with his no franchise clause. Another possibility being that Arizona looking for a QB of the future and the Pats haveing picked one up basicly for future trade, Mallett and our first for Fitzgerrald.

Last edited:
I could conceivably see either Tate or Edelman going, depending on the skillset of the WR that we acquired. Also, I would be surprised, but not completely shocked, to see Welker traded. Doubt it'll happen, but it wouldn't be the most surprising move that Belichick has made.

Last edited:
If anyone goes it will be Welker or Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots