PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots won't sue the Boston Herald, maybe we can boycott their advertisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phokus

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I think there is a disincentive for the Pats to sue the Herald, even if they have enough evidence that the Herald had malicious intent in posting the story about the taping of the Rams practice. They obviously want this story to be put to rest.

And of course we are all boycotting the herald. However, I think if we could go one step further and boycott their advertisers and advertisers started to withdraw their finances from the Herald, it would have just as big an impact. What do you guys think?

Re: If the Patriots won't sue the Boston Herald, maybe we can boycott their advertise

There's not enough evidence to sue the Herald and there never has been.

And boycotting the Herald doesn't include clicking on Tomase articles and telling him what a fat bastard he is.

Re: If the Patriots won't sue the Boston Herald, maybe we can boycott their advertise

And boycotting the Herald doesn't include clicking on Tomase articles and telling him what a fat bastard he is.

Which equals entering your email adress/info, and then the Herald selling it as a "lead" for a boat load of doe, to some compay. Sh*t, the way to hurt them - is to buy the globe, support mediums like radio and not read ANY Herald articles at all. Stay off thier website, and don't talk about them. Newspaper is a dying medium, and the best way to hurt them is to support thier competitors. Sadly, all this negative attention is pumping up thier numbers.

Last edited:

Which equals entering your email adress/info, and then the Herald selling it as a "lead" for a boat load of doe, to some compay. Sh*t, the way to hurt them - is to buy the globe, support mediums like radio and not read ANY Herald articles at all. Stay off thier website, and don't talk about them. Newspaper is a dying medium, and the best way to hurt them is to support thier competitors. Sadly, all this negative attention is pumping up thier numbers.

I agree with supporting the Globe over the Herald, but radio outfits like WEEI are just as bad and vicious towards Boston based sports.

I think we should boycott Espn and its advertisers... the news paper biz is dying a slow death...

Thats what the discovery process is for. The internal memos regarding Tomase's article would certainly be of interest.

The point of suing the Herald wouldn't be to win monetary damages, it would be to bring the entire process to light. Who was their source, when did he come forward, what other steps did the Herald take to confirm the story, this would all have to come out. It would expose the entire story as the fraud it is, and who the fraud is, whether its Tomase or his source. The Patriots would be completely exonerated once everthing is out there.

I'm not buying another Herald until they come forward with an explanation. And if it takes a lawsuit to do it, I'll be a Globe subscriber from now on.

Thats what the discovery process is for. The internal memos regarding Tomase's article would certainly be of interest.

The point of suing the Herald wouldn't be to win monetary damages, it would be to bring the entire process to light. Who was their source, when did he come forward, what other steps did the Herald take to confirm the story, this would all have to come out. It would expose the entire story as the fraud it is, and who the fraud is, whether its Tomase or his source. The Patriots would be completely exonerated once everthing is out there.

I'm not buying another Herald until they come forward with an explanation. And if it takes a lawsuit to do it, I'll be a Globe subscriber from now on.

Except there's not even enough grounds to get to discovery. The Herald did not defame or libel the Patriots, they reported on rumors. Whether or not the rumors were true and if they were poor journalists has no bearing.

They could certainly file a suit. Florio (whom is also a lawyer) wrote they had a case today and could win it if they forced the issue.

The question is whether or not they will force the issue. Personally, I think they should but you could round up 20 lawyers who specialize in libel and you could find 20 different opinions.

What you seem to be saying is carelessness is something that has no bearing on libel or defamation suits and I'd like to hear from a higher authority on that because it doesn't sound believable. That would imply that every libel or defamation suit that's ever been won was won because the defendants were proven to have malice. Not a single one was lost because of carelessness i.e. shoddy reporting. I find that amazingly hard to believe.

Last edited:

I am thinking a nice email campaign to their key advertisers asking if they condone of this and if their continued business with the Herald indicated their agreement with the Heralds tactics.

I switchwed to Boston globe since superbowl , i don't read the herald losers anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes