PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots let Brady’s top target walk two seasons in a row…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes forever, lifetime contracts all around. We will put a nursing home in Patriots Place and just wheel them over after the games.

images

You watched his career in St Louis, or guessed how much better he would have been last year without two ripped groin muscles.

I know you think your evaluation is better than Belichicks, I just don't know when you evaluated him.

The best way to end something with me is to answer the question, or address what you said.

I think my evaluation is better than Belichick? Well since I made mine in hindsight 20/20, yes it is better.

I think you are focusing to much on Amendola and this really has nothing to do with him. He is under contract, this is to do with Edelman being allowed to walk one year after Welker. The fact that they replace them is really not something to be impressed by it would by horrifying if they let Welker walk and didn't sign a viable replacement.

It doesn't have anything to do with Danny Amendola.

You made a comment about how Brady and Gisele are pissed and talk about the lack of receiving options that Belichick has brought in, and I just stated why I thought that was wrong based on the 3 big contracts from Gronk, Amendola, and Hernandez.

The 2013 receiving options were poor due to the injuries, the arrest of our TE, and the fact that they had planned to go younger and faster at the position in the draft. This created the perfect storm of sorts for a pretty bad year in terms of receiving options.

I don't think it had anything to do with Belichick misusing the savings from Brady's contract (which you're greatly exaggerating). You claimed that you thought that Tom and Gisele sat around the dinner table complaining about the misuse of savings from his latest deal.

It doesn't have anything to do with Amendola.

You made a comment about how Brady and Gisele are pissed and talk about the lack of receiving options that Belichick has brought in, and I just stated why I thought that was wrong based on the 3 big contracts from Gronk, Amendola, and Hernandez.

The 2013 receiving options were poor due to the injuries, the arrest of our TE, and the fact that they had planned to go younger and faster at the position in the draft. I don't think it had anything to do with Belichick misusing the savings from Brady's contract (which you're greatly exaggerating). You claimed that you thought that Tom and Gisele sat around the dinner table complaining about the misuse of savings from his choice to rather see 55 million in guaranteed funds in the last handful of yrs of his career.

Amendola could have caught 200 footballs and the receiving corps would not have been much different in my opinion. The problem is much bigger than Amendola, and letting the Edelman walk is not going to benefit the team in any way shape or form.

I think if he lets two players that Brady obviously valued leave in back to back years then he is not valuing the things that are important to Brady. If that is not misusing the saving provided by Brady I'm not sure what is.

Amendola could have caught 200 footballs and the receiving corps would not have been much different in my opinion. The problem is much bigger than Amendola, and letting the Edelman walk is not going to benefit the team in any way shape or form.

What if they pay JE 6 mil a year or whatever and he gets injured like he has 4 out of the last 5 years or whatever it is.

What if they pay JE 6 mil a year or whatever and he gets injured like he has 4 out of the last 5 years or whatever it is.

Then he will fall in line with amendola :D

We would be screwed...

But at least I can spend all of next offseason bashing the Edelman contract.

I think my evaluation is better than Belichick? Well since I made mine in hindsight 20/20, yes it is better.

You guessed what a season he would have had without two torn groin muscles and four missed games.

Since he didn't play 16 games healthy as the starting slot receiver (leaving Edelman a special teamer and occasional receiver) you fantasized what it would have been like.

That's not an evaluation, that's imagination, right?

I think if he lets two players that Brady obviously valued leave in back to back years then he is not valuing the things that are important to Brady. If that is not misusing the saving provided by Brady I'm not sure what is.

They haven't let Edelman go. They're in negotiation, from what I've read.

How do you know what's important to Brady? He sure seemed happy with Amendola in the preseason and Buffalo game. Don't you think Tom understands injuries and the salary cap?

You guessed what a season he would have had without two torn groin muscles and four missed games.

Since he didn't play 16 games healthy as the starting slot receiver (leaving Edelman a special teamer and occasional receiver) you fantasized what it would have been like.

That's not an evaluation, that's imagination, right?

Do you know what hindsight 20/20 is? You should relax take your hands off the keyboard for a second and recompose yourself. Right now you are so caught up in trying to quote everything I post with a dispute you are missing everything I write.

Relax buddy...

They haven't let Edelman go. They're in negotiation, from what I've read.

How do you know what's important to Brady?

Usually the #1 target on the team is important to the starting QB. I could be wrong maybe Brady really values the dime DB on defense the most.

I'm not suggesting anything about Danny Amendola aside from the fact that it proves that they were willing to spend money at the position. That seems to be what your beef is--the suggestion that they don't want to surround Brady with talent, or spend on the position from his savings.

Why? Our problem is on the outside, not in the slot.

Our obvious weakness has been in an outside, stretch the field, physical-type receiver.

How does keeping Julian Edelman help Brady and solve the problem if it prohibits the team from upgrading the outside receiving options, which is what the problem obviously is?

You're acting like Brady wants to be forced to have to throw 3 yard passes to Julian Edelman to be happy. It's quite possible that he knows what the weakness is and wants it addressed as well.

If there's a way to keep Edelman AND address the lack of outside/physical receiver, then I'd hope they can do that, but if Edelman has to go, it's likely because they wanted to help Brady....not hurt him, which is what you're suggesting.

Do you know what hindsight 20/20 is? You should relax take your hands off the keyboard for a second and recompose yourself. Right now you are so caught up in trying to quote everything I post with a dispute you are missing everything I write.

Relax buddy...

I guess, in hindsight, Edelman's indipensable, instead of the oft injured special teamer with the bad foot he seemed in August.

Is that what you mean by 20/20 hindsight?

Yes, what this forum really needed was another Edelman thread. Certain posters on this forum seriously need to realize that they don't need to make a new post every other day just for the hell of it. If you don't have a source or an opinion that hasn't already been beaten into the ground, then there's literally no reason to make a new thread. Just post on one of the other dozen Edelman/Amendola threads you've already created in the past two months. They should all be merged into a mega-thread anyway, as it is.

Also, the Pats paid Welker $10M+ in 2012. They paid Randy Moss a top of the market deal in 2008. Gronk and Hernandez both got handsomely paid two years ago. Any argument that the Pats don't pay money for targets in the passing game is dead on arrival. It's just stupid, self-evidently wrong, and not really worth entertaining with serious discussion. There were reasons why they let Welker go, and if Edelman walks there will be reasons for that too. Refusing to pay for receivers so clearly isn't one of them that I have to question the basic intelligence of anyone who continues to hold that position.

And lastly, the premise that Edelman is Brady's top target is just ******ed. Gronkowski is, and it's not even close.

I'm not suggesting anything about Danny Amendola aside from the fact that it proves that they were willing to spend money at the position. That seems to be what your beef is--the suggestion that they don't want to surround Brady with talent, or spend on the position from his savings.

Why? Our problem is on the outside, not in the slot.

Our obvious weakness has been in an outside, stretch the field, physical-type receiver.

How does keeping Julian Edelman help Brady and solve the problem if it prohibits the team from upgrading the outside receiving options, which is what the problem obviously is?

You're acting like Brady wants to be forced to have to throw 3 yard passes to Julian Edelman to be happy. It's quite possible that he knows what the weakness is and wants it addressed as well.

If there's a way to keep Edelman AND address the lack of outside/physical receiver, then I'd hope they can do that, but if Edelman has to go, it's likely because they wanted to help Brady....not hurt him, which is what you're suggesting.

If Brady was not about to turn 37 years old I wouldn't have nearly the issue with forcing him to find a new security blanket for the second straight season. Given that he is not a young man anymore and we should try and build some consistency around him at this juncture of his career.

Usually the #1 target on the team is important to the starting QB. I could be wrong maybe Brady really values the dime DB on defense the most.

You're judging our poor 2013 receiving options where Edelman was the #1 target due to horrible circumstances, and trying to suggest that he's suddenly "Brady's top option."

That's ridiculous in my opinion.

I think you're so honed in on last season, that you're failing to take other past or even future seasons into account.

The Wes Welker situation was completely different, since Welker and Brady had been on the same page for years and years.

You're judging our poor 2013 receiving options where Edelman was the #1 target due to horrible circumstances, and trying to suggest that he's suddenly "Brady's top option."

That's ridiculous in my opinion.

I think you're so honed in on last season, that you're failing to take other past or even future seasons into account.

The Wes Welker situation was completely different, since Welker and Brady had been on the same page for years and years.

I think that Edelman's targets were consistent with Welker's. Welker left Edelman stepped in and was actually targeted less than Welker. Brady is always going to target the primary receiver running the routes under 10 yards the most. I'm not sure why you do not see that and insist that Edelman was only targeted because of the lack of weapons. I can tell you that Edelman would not have had the highest catch ratio of any WR with 75+ targets in the NFL if he was being force targeted, he would have had a much lower ratio, because he would not have been open.

Welker was targeted just as many times in 2007 as Edelman this season, they were not on the same page then anymore than Edelman and he were this season.

Yes, what this forum really needed was another Edelman thread. Certain posters on this forum seriously need to realize that they don't need to make a new post every other day just for the hell of it. If you don't have a source or an opinion that hasn't already been beaten into the ground, then there's literally no reason to make a new thread. Just post on one of the other dozen Edelman/Amendola threads you've already created in the past two months. They should all be merged into a mega-thread anyway, as it is.

I'm guessing you're close to feeling like THIS guy......heh...me too....

20120914120348!Exploding-head.gif

If Brady was not about to turn 37 years old I wouldn't have nearly the issue with forcing him to find a new security blanket for the second straight season. Given that he is not a young man anymore and we should try and build some consistency around him at this juncture of his career.

I think your reasoning here is perfectly acceptable and I respect the thinking a lot. I think the concern makes sense for sure.

The past stuff wasn't making much sense to me, although obviously you feel differently or you wouldn't have written it.

The only thing we can do is leave it up to Belichick to try and address our WR corps as a whole---and if that means letting Edelman walk to try and improve the whole picture, so be it.

I don't agree with you at all that Brady would be remotely worried due to losing his "security blanket" from ONE season. I think that would be selling his overall body of work and ability to adapt/adjust like no other QB very short.

Many here actually think that the fact that Edelman WAS Brady's security blanket may have been part of the problem, although a much better explanation would likely be that it was his security blanket due to such horrid talent due to the rookies/injuries/etc.

Hopefully they'll be able to keep Edelman AND address the position as a whole, but the odds may not be too good.

He was the #1 target for 1 year...not multiple years here

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey