PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots are correct.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
.....then this will be an epic draft they just had, and let me elaborate.

The Patriots, based on their draft board, got some of their highest rated players at many positions.

Consider:

1. Solder must have been the Patriots 1st or 2nd rated offensive linemen in the draft. Only Smith to Dallas went before him. Castonzo and Carimi were there for the taking, and they took Solder.

2. The quite likely took their 2nd rated CB in Rowling, assuming Patrick Peterson was first. I bet anything that serious character issues on Jimmy Smith had Rowling ahead of him on the Patriots board. At worst 3rd, behind Amukamara. Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris and others that many had rated ahead of Rowling, but the Patriots passed and took Rowling.

3. Mikel Leshoure, Daniel Thomas and others were there when they took Vereen and again they passed, so obviously they had him rated higher.

4. No doubt that QB Mallet and OT/OG Cannon were rated much higher by the Pats than where they took them.

My point is that the Patriots board clearly was different than many of the national mock drafts we all saw. If the Patriots were right in their evaluations, they probably hit the jackpot. They got some of their highest rated players at the various positions. This draft clearly will tell us alot about their evaluation skills.

2. The quite likely took their 2nd rated CB in Rowling, assuming Patrick Peterson was first.

jk-rowling_8.jpg

:confused: ;)

The Patriots, based on their draft board, got some of their highest rated players at many positions.

Consider:

1. Solder must have been the Patriots 1st or 2nd rated offensive linemen in the draft. Only Smith to Dallas went before him. Castonzo and Carimi were there for the taking, and they took Solder.

2. The quite likely took their 2nd rated CB in Rowling, assuming Patrick Peterson was first. I bet anything that serious character issues on Jimmy Smith had Rowling ahead of him on the Patriots board. At worst 3rd, behind Amukamara. Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris and others that many had rated ahead of Rowling, but the Patriots passed and took Rowling.

3. Mikel Leshoure, Daniel Thomas and others were there when they took Vereen and again they passed, so obviously they had him rated higher.

4. No doubt that QB Mallet and OT/OG Cannon were rated much higher by the Pats than where they took them.

My point is that the Patriots board clearly was different than many of the national mock drafts we all saw. If the Patriots were right in their evaluations, they probably hit the jackpot. They got some of their highest rated players at the various positions. This draft clearly will tell us alot about their evaluation skills.

Given the expert's less than enthusiastic response to Devin McCourty last year, I think I'll put my money on BB's team's evaluations, rather than on those other boards or most of the draft day talking heads.

Consider:

All true, however it sort of goes without saying. If a team goes against the grain AND that team is right in doing so ... don't they always hit the jackpot?

Nice post, I agree completely. To add a few things: Solder had to be one of our highest rated players in the whole draft, as we could have easily moved up to grab someone we truly wanted, teams were dying to trade back. The other thing I would add is that Dowling had to be rated ahead of Amukamara, if we really liked him he would have been the pick at 17

I'm actually kind of excited to see what Markell Carter has to offer. I like what I've seen and heard of him thus far, and I think a lot of people are sleeping on him.

Doesn't the same go for any of the 31 teams? Assuming they picked the players that were highest on their boards.

1.) Most draft boards are different from the national mock drafts. That's why we see so many players called reaches and steals.

2.) The Patriots can be right with their evaluations without hitting the jackpot. The RBs are a perfect example. This was considered a weak draft for RBs at the top, so finding 2 that pan out better than the two most hyped would be no surprised at all. The same is true, even moreso really, with the QBs. For that matter, the same is true with the offensive linemen.

... The other thing I would add is that Dowling had to be rated ahead of Amukamara, if we really liked him he would have been the pick at 17

Doubt this could be true. If we had taken Amukamara, then we wd never have gotten Solder. In fact, I'm almost certain we had Am over Dowling, but obviously no way he was going to be around for 28 or 33 so we settled for second or perhaps third best.

IMHO, the players most likely to shine or bomb this season will be Vereen, Ridley and Dowling.....the others probably play backup roles and will only see action if someone gets injured.....

If Light doesn't get re-signed....add Solder to that list....:D

IMHO, the players most likely to shine or bomb this season will be Vereen, Ridley and Dowling.....the others probably play backup roles and will only see action if someone gets injured.....

If Light doesn't get re-signed....add Solder to that list....:D

I doubt Vereen will bomb. Our OL+ TE's are pretty good in the running game and Vereens hands will be an asset. He will be a good contributor at the very least.

When I look at position and value for this draft, I see Solder, Dowling, Mallet and Cannon as having first round ability at key positions. Solder's technique knocked him back from being a top 5 pick, but if Dante can teach him up a little, the Patriots will have hit it big.

Vereen and Ridley play a position that is not all that difficult to replace, but the Patriots had a great need. I can't see how a player like Vereen were rated highly by the Patriots given the fact they past on Jahvid Best multiple times last year, and so many scouts--and even Vereen--describe his game like Best's but with less speed. The Patriots had a big need at RB and they filled it with the best backs on the board for them. While this speaks highly of the players themselves, it does not mean they have first or even second round ability, as the picks of Solder, Dowling, Mallet might.

For those who have heard this before, I apologize, but this was a labor strife draft.. every one of this picks do not have to be ready for 9/12.. we sign Matt Light for a couple of more years as a bridge player and depth.

For all of our newcomers they will not benefit from Rookie Camp, OTA's, being around team mates working out, not being around the coaches and probably an abbreviated TC. These new guys will not benefit from the culture of the Patriots and the NFL..

Compare this to a team who drafted Newton, Gabbert. Locker or Ponder none of whom will be ready for opening day.. probably not to many of the top picks will be ready when the season begins..

This team is being rebuilt on the fly, and all of these draftees add quality depth to a 14-2 team..

Consider:

I think you have a good point here. The Pats had an opportunity to take the best players at their positions at OT, CB, RB and they took players that most thought were not good value there. This draft will truly show how smart BB and crew are smarter then the media if it truly pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes