PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the new CBA is signed before July 4th...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Metafours...I guess you'll need to become dyslexic to post here....I'm guessing it will take a FULL FIST of fingers to type now...:ugh:

McCourty, Bodden, Butler, Arrington, Dowling, Meriweather, Chung
Traded for and tendered Page (though he will likely be a UFA, they obviously want him)
Claimed and stashed Barrett for a year so they see him as part of the depth chart
Not to mention Sergio showing some potential last year
There are also a fi(Please be quiet - edited)l of safeties in the UDFA ranks

If everyone develops as expected and stays healthy, that looks to be a pretty solid group without Wilhite or Sanders. Take the millions saved and use them for the rush end that everyone is craving.

If someone flames out or snaps a ligament, Sanders and Wilhite are a solid plan B. I just can't see them fitting in the depth chart (I see Dowling getting safety snaps) where their experience and salary makes sense.

Edit: I understand you can't say S-T-F-U in polite conversation...but censoring f-i-S-T-F-U-l is just unAmerican.

So you really think cutting a guy with six years of experience in this system is a good thing for this defense? You want to replace a guy that saved the Colts game and was the nail in the coffin versus Pittsburgh for, let me get this straight, special teamer Sergio Brown and another special teams player that missed a year? Or a UDFA safety that has missed most of the offseason already? 1st / 2nd round safeties aren't even instant starters in this defense.. And you think James Sanders is overpaid even though he plays 80% of the snaps? Shaking my head...

Last edited:
Named plaintiffs getting special treatment is nothing new in these types of suits.

Specifically, what kind of 'special treatment' are they referring to, Deus? Not to sound ignorant, but the concept did catch me off guard when I read it.

Specifically, what kind of 'special treatment' are they referring to, Deus? Not to sound ignorant, but the concept did catch me off guard when I read it.

It's reportedly the same "special treament" that the named players got last time (Reggie White case), where the named plaintiffs couldn't be franchised.

Last edited:
It's reportedly the same "special treament" that the named players got last time (Reggie White case), where the named plaintiffs couldn't be franchised.

Okay, that makes sense I suppose. Thank you.

There are 10 players on the Brady vs NFL complaint.....

Brady,Brees,Manning,Mankins,Vrabel,Jackson,Leber,Robison,Uminyora, and Von Miller...

Manning and Mankins are already tagged and it would be nullified if they get special consideration status?

Last edited:
So you really think cutting a guy with six years of experience in this system is a good thing for this defense? You want to replace a guy that saved the Colts game and was the nail in the coffin versus Pittsburgh for, let me get this straight, special teamer Sergio Brown and another special teams player that missed a year? Or a UDFA safety that has missed most of the offseason already? 1st / 2nd round safeties aren't even instant starters in this defense.. And you think James Sanders is overpaid even though he plays 80% of the snaps? Shaking my head...

Nope. If Sanders is targeted to get 80% of the snaps then there is no way he should be cut, even with his cap number. My point is that I can't see him getting that many snaps with the current DB crew.

- Bodden and McCourty should get most snaps
- Chung needs to as well and he should be the QB of the secondary
- Meriweather needs to get a majority of snaps or he should be traded
- Butler and Dowling need to get a good number of snaps for their development

That is most of the game snaps right there. Haven't mentioned Page and Arrington yet, but they are capable of rounding out the gameday actives. Sergio and Barrett are ST guys that only get snaps with injuries.

If you want to trade Meriweather or turn Chung into a nickel guy or pseudo LB, then my perspective completely changes. Keeping Sanders as a $3M big nickel or dime DB doesn't seem as effective as using Page and/or Sergio in that role. More cost effective and those players would still be considered as "advancing" in that role.

Every player isn't competing just to be in the top 53. In Sanders' case, he is competing with Meriweather and Chung to get the bulk of safety snaps. Meriweather is in a contract year and Chung needs the training wheels taken off. I expect those 2 to step up and Sanders to be cut or traded for a low round pick to a team needing a stabilizing influence at the back end of their defense.

The Pats 3rd down defense was obviously horrific and the soft area was in the intermediate middle. That involves Mayo, Chung and Sanders. I don't see Mayo or Chung moving aside to get Dowling into the game to address this area. Not a knock on Sanders. He is just a victim of the Dowling pick and a numbers game.

Didn't Sanders have some injury issues last season?

That may generally be true but there are some considerations. For example, I'm pretty tight against the rumored cap with current contracts. I have a guy with a $7M salary. If the cap is $125M+ I want to keep him. If it is under $120M, he has to go. If I let him in the facility before the cap number is signed and delivered and he blows out his knee jogging out for stretching, I could be hosed.

There are probably lots of other problematic situations if you resume football activities without having all teams get under the cap first. If all parties could get the cap number settled in court in an expedited way, your scenario could play out with the other settlement details being worked out later. That seems like a stretch. Would like to be surprised though.

Well you take that chance, or you can forbid the guy going out on the field by just scheduling a medical, that will buy you a week, by then the agreement should be in place. But I would take the chance on a season ending injury by jogging in order to have the players in 2 weeks earlier.

The last time this happened.
The difference being the last time this happened there was no FA and the case went to trial and after 4 years of wending it's way through the state court the plaintiff won in a jury trial and the settlement averted court ordered imposition of unfettered FA and/or years more on appeal...

This time we haven't gotten past the injunction stage...

well this deal is not getting done by july 4th and if there is no progress in 2 weeks to announce a deal, i will be stunned that they dont reach it by then... i was optimistic by the draft then after well its going to get done by the summer, these bunch idiots are not going to throw the game into chaos... the rookies will not be much help this year when this thing gets done... but i would hope they settle this so we dont have a generic product on the field in sept...

The difference being the last time this happened there was no FA and the case went to trial and after 4 years of wending it's way through the state court the plaintiff won in a jury trial and the settlement averted court ordered imposition of unfettered FA and/or years more on appeal...

This time we haven't gotten past the injunction stage...

There is no difference. In both cases, it was about named plaintiffs not being subject to the franchise tag.

Last edited:
Well you take that chance, or you can forbid the guy going out on the field by just scheduling a medical, that will buy you a week, by then the agreement should be in place. But I would take the chance on a season ending injury by jogging in order to have the players in 2 weeks earlier.

You just don't get it. There is presently nothing for them to come in for...and nobody there to greet them or means to house them or feed them... Staff and coaches are on vacation now. So are most players. Camps open in three weeks. Off season programs traditionally end at the end of June so coaches and players can take a break from their usual grind before gearing back up for TC. One of the items the two sides are negotiating is a reduction in off season work. They aren't going to randomly create organized activities in the midst of sufficient chaos managing free agency in a tiny remaining pre camp window. The window for getting players in for any off season OTA's closed about a week ago. And the only reason you would take a chance is because it's not your career or your money at risk... For those whose risk it is, it's a business and they have to get the business of football taken care of before they get back to work on the game of football.

Belichick scrapped his off season plans weeks ago and put his staff to work on creating a new TC program based on the lack of any OTA's.

If the new CBA is signed before July 4th...

:pigsfly:....:rofl:....:wha:....:ugh:....:yawn2:

here's ANOTHER if....

flying-pigs.jpg

and ANOTHER one....

found%20bigfoot.jpg

Last edited:
found%20bigfoot.jpg

They found JO ? :D

I am sure they all plan to all work over the holiday weekend to get this done.

:lol2:

Tick Tock....

Mo, well Breer just noted that he believes it will be a two stage process also.

Who cares if the coaches and staff are on vacation? You don't think BB told his guys to be ready to get back at a min notice? House or feed them? I don't get that, are all the caterer's shut down July the 10th? No hotels? 75% of the vets live in the area.

You don't think Dante can organize activities for Bill, while he delves into FA? The medical staff can't do physicals? The assistant coaches can't do evaluations on conditioning? Believe me they can get a lot of work done towards getting the team ready for training camp when it starts 2 weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back