Welcome to PatsFans.com

If the government legalized and regulated marijuana today...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mogamedogz, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

How much of a boost would it give to the economy?

10 billion dollars spent in 2008, fighting the (very unwinnable) "War on Pot".

I’m having a really hard time understanding how in this day and age, the cons out weigh the pros, when it comes to legalizing the bud.

Discuss. :)
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 10 / -26

I wrestle with this, on one hand great idea.. but sometimes I personalize some of the excesses that I have seen.. not sure I want my grandson, who is 13, toking up.. the only thing that slows this down is the illegality of it all.. know a whole bunch of people who this has effected seriously.. but then know a whole bunch of boozers whose life has been effected.

I would certainly generate income, taxes, reduce the prison population.. obviously the 10 billion spent on this whole marijuana war has had little effect..

Right now the country is so polarized, not sure if anything like this could ever happen.. not much common ground here.
  3. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

That's very true, and while I agree... Im sure you feel the same way about him boozing up or smoking cigs even.

When i go down the list of things it would do to help the economy right now, it just seems a little silly (given the evidence we have on the effects of it), not to at least consider legalizing the stuff.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 10 / -26

Like I said I wrestle with this whole thing, there is a lot to consider.. not only on a personal level, but on a societal level as well. Taxes are a nice benefit, along with the reduction in the Prison Population.. but overall it is a tough decision I am not sure as a society, and as political entities we are ready to discuss this on the national stage.. "Reefer Madness" still is in the heart of many people.. it may turn into a better discussion on the state level.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -2

I voted Yes on Question 2. I think that both pot, and prostitution, should be legalized, regulated, and taxed. I think if each are done properly (I doubt the gubmit can do anything properly), it could work realtively smoothly. Nevada has a regulated prostitution industry, and it seems to work rather well.

With each, I must stress, that I personally think it should be up to the individual states to decide.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Prollem is the Feds think their rules supercede the laws of the states, so technically, the feds can come into Mass and round up every pot grower even if Mass allows its People to grow in the yard.

The federal rules/laws have to be removed and then we can let the states roll their own laws. I don't think illegality ever had an effect on pot use short of keeping the windows up in the 74 Impala (with the "Arrive Stoned" front plate) and holding the joint down when the cops pass.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -2

Oh, I understand that about the fed rules. I think the federal gubmit has totally whizzed on states rights of all kinds, and I'd personally like to see that reversed.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

It should have been legalized long ago, it's easier to buy now than if it was legal, every kid and most grown ups in the country are using it, you can buy it in church.

A lot of other drugs should be legal also, America loves it's drugs and America will get it's drugs, legalize it and put the smelly millionaire drug dealer out of business, shut the Columbian & Mexican bastards down, if drugs are legal the only people that will be using drugs are the same friggin people that are using them now.
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I vote no. If we accept people being hooked on drugs what does that really tell us about society? I see useage getting more commonplace if legalized and it sends a message to teens that it's acceptable. if you want to legalize it then the dumbing down of america will continue. it's a war we'll never win but we should wage.

it's the same reason we shouldn't lower the drinking age to 18 because then suddenly more 14 yr olds are using it and it becomes more accessible to high school students.

why don't we legalize steroids for the adults and athletes? because it tells kids they need to use it to get where they are.

you give people an inch and they want a foot
  10. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

10 billion is NOTHING

they just spend HUNDREDS of Billions on stimulus packages.

they spend that much on Iraq per month.

the saving money excuse is WEAK. government saves money and balances budgets, legalizing drugs don't
  11. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

why don't we legalize moonshine? because it's potentially deadly.

marijuana can be laced with other drugs. i could see the FDA wanting to test all this and they would just spend that 10 billion dollars on regulation, testing, and employing another big pay official. do you really want big corporate like those cigg compnaies start lobbying govt and then brainwashing your kids with commercials and media?
  12. PatriotPat

PatriotPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Union: The business behind getting high.

BC's illegal marijuana trade industry has evolved into a business giant, dubbed by some involved as 'The Union', Commanding upwards of $7 billion Canadian annually. With up to 85% of 'BC Bud' being exported to the United States, the trade has become an international issue. Follow filmmaker Adam Scorgie as he demystifies the underground market and brings to light how an industry can function while remaining illegal. Through growers, police officers, criminologists, economists, doctors, politicians and pop culture icons, Scorgie examines the cause and effect nature of the business - an industry that may be profiting more by being illegal.

Lot's of info about marijuana.

I say legalize it, tax it, research it's medical uses, use the same laws as alcohol, and let law enforcement go after the real criminals.
  13. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Marijuana is not addictive.
    If they sold it in stores (California) there would be no chance of it being laced. As it is now, pot does get laced, when government pays to have the fields sprayed with poisons. There was a program on MSNBC concerning Marijuana. An area of California (the Emerald Triangle) is rampant with pot growers and is the main source of revenue for that area.
    Steroids? I wouldn't take steroids unless a Dr. presribed them due to some condition in which I couldn't get over. Got a joint, that's another animal.
  14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +449 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

We already do it with alcohol, I don't see the difference. Coming from someone who has never tried, even once, any drug other than alcohol it seems like the time may have come to re-examine this.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Where? Your church? I think I just found religion!
    Hallelujah! Pass the plate!
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You mean like they do with tobacco and alcohol and sex and murder and assault and religion and war and ....cut the crap. You're lying!

"Marijuana can be laced with other drugs? So can any fluid and food! No one can get addicted to weed. I tried in college (and beyond) and no matter how much I smoked, I would wake up with an empty bag and nothing happened until I got another bag the next Friday night.

Moonshine is potentially deadly? So is a 12-pack of Bud Light or a fifth of Schnapps. So is driving when you're tired or on the cell phone or arguing with your wife in the seat next to you. So is climbing a ladder.

How many people have had their lives ruined with these stupid prohibition laws? How many kids get arrested for a joint and have the course of their lives forever altered (We regret to inform you that Harvard does not accept your application because of your arrest record.....)? How many adults are in prison for having too many plants on their property? How many people aren't allowed to have jobs because of an arrest in the past?

What bullsh!t....:mad:...please keep your 12-step attitude to yourself and let everyone else live their lives like adults.
  17. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Of course they should legalize it. Stop spending money on enforcement and jails. It would also open up industrial usages just like in the old days. Cloth, paper, oil, etc.

I don't think the tax angle will work too well, though. There is a reason they call it "weed"
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -2

Why not tax it? The gubmit could "raise revenues".
  19. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

From last December: Untitled Document

CA alone collected 11 billion dollars in tax revenues generated from their legal grows in the north. Read your history and you'll discover that one of the reasons prohibition ended was due to the economy.

The Drug War alone costs 800 billion per. Right up there with our War On Terror,and with pretty much the same results.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  20. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Actually,moonshine was born during prohibition. When people couldn't buy legal alcohol they began to make their own using homemade things. Deadly stuff indeed, and when prohibition ended, moonshine lost it's 'appeal".

There's an excellent case to be made that drugs like meth,crack,PCP etal are the new moonshine. Think about that.