Welcome to PatsFans.com

If The Draft Is Before Free Agency?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by mgteich, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

If we presume that the draft takes place BEFORE free agency, it might affect our predictions and priorities. If we don't consciously make that assumption, we will have those presuming the signing of certain free agents before the draft.

For example, I think that we will come to a 3 year agreement with Light. HOWEVER, that belief is not so strong as to not draft an OT in the top 3 picks if he isn't signed before the draft.
  2. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Usually, most teams have at least a couple free agents in the bank going into draft weekend. Without those, and with the possibility of only a short (and perhaps, problematic) free agent period before the regular start of camp, I would think it would have to alter many draft strategies.

I also wonder if it doesn't change the market for free agents a bit if teams believe they already have some of their needs filled through the draft before free agency opens for business.
  3. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

There is nothing stopping teams from signing UFAs before the draft. The NFL has said as much in the days following the Super Bowl.
  4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Any Free Agents have to be signed before the current CBA expires on March 4. I think that IF you see teams signing players, then an agreement is close. If you see no players getting signed, then I would expect an impasse.

I guess if you were a gambling man, you could get ahead of the other 31 teams if you just went out and signed some guys before March 4, but these owners didn't get to be millionaires by making risky fianancial moves............

If this happens (no free agency movement) then I think that it might change BB's drafting philosophy. Usually BB fills any glaring holes in free agency so he is not trapped into drafting a certain player/position on draft day. The exception to that rule was after Washington left and the Pats entered the draft without a Nose Tackle, and miraculously Wilfork fell to 21 (NOBODY THOUGHT THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, I think back then we were imagining that BB would have to trade up to 10-15 to get him). I guess you could say that Mankins was another first round NEED pick, so he is 2-2 there (turning a bling eye to the Maroney pick (which I have to admit that I was all for, (Draftnik head now hung in shame)).

My guess is that Mankins gets franchised, hopefully they could sign him to a long term deal. Light has been more than servicable at LT for years. But if they do not resign him, the Pats enter the draft with a gaping hole at Tackle (RT or LT depending on what you want to do with Vollmer). If that happens then look for the Pats to go LT at #17, once again putting off any hopes of BB drafting a pure pass rusher.
  5. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +132 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

step 1 is complete. Mankins has been franshised. Light will be interesting because he is willing to talk after the cba is completed. If they are not completed by the draft I am assuming BB will have decisions to make. I want Light back, from I've seen of these OT's I almost feel pressured into taking one every mock because it is a glaring need. But to be honest none of these guys impress me as much as some of the guards. Regardless if they sign Light or not they will need to draft a LT replacement. If not this year, the next. Btw,I think Sherrod,Carimi, Costanza or Smith will by there at 28. Not all,but 1 of them will. I hope we don't pass on on one. At 28 Heyward, who may be an excelllent pick would possibly be there, but his injuries scare me a little. Maybe he goes Curtis Martin on us and proves everyone wrong about him?

Looking back on the Wilfork deal, I honestly sighed a breath of relief when he dropped to us. I remember thinking how mad I was when he dropped as far he did and Belichick didn't move up for him. Whe his name was finally picked I had felt like we had just moved up to the 8th spot for him. He was that good and to this day I will never understand how someone that talented dropped that far.
  6. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think most players will side with their union bretheren and not sign until a new CBA is reached and that will almost assuredly be after the draft like Light has. Franchising Mankins is a low risk move and it doesnt prevent us from lifting it later. Having as many picks as we do should help, I would say that draft picks will be more valuable this year because it adds flexibility and lowers payroll. Its just like BB to fill the major hole with a 1st round pick:Wilfork, Mayo, Mankins, Maroney, and Seymour are just a few. With Light, Mankins, and a pass rusher likely being the most obvious holes I would guess those positions to go 1,2,3 with the G/C to be groomed a year early for the other side if Mankins stays. If trade down value bumps our 4th pick up to a red chipper(17+60 for say 24 and 40..whatever draft value chart says) I can certainly see us massaging our way down as usual. I think if its looking like a lockout the owners will surely take any question marks off their boards too and some of those incredibly gifted athletic airheads will lose more money this year than ever before. You might be able to get a guy like Randy Moss in the 3rd round, LOL.
  7. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Seems to me this applies to players who are currently UFA (or "street free agents"). Most "valuable" players won't become free agents until their current contracts expires at the same time that the CBA expires and "limbo" starts. So, the statement probably doesn't really apply to them.
  8. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Is that true? Do contracts expire at the same time as the league year? Can a team try to use a franchise tag on a player under contract, a la Mankins? I thought that contracts ending after the 2010-2011 season had already expired.

If not, I guess my point is invalid.
  9. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It may vary some, but I think it's true in most cases that contracts expire along with the official end of the league year which, in this case, is also the expiration date of the CBA, of course.

I don't know whether or not there's ever been a restriction on when a team can apply a franchise tag. Obviously, the Pats don't think so.
  10. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If a CBA is reached after March 3, but before the draft - like April 10 for example, is it possible that this new CBA will push the draft back a few weeks to accommodate free agency?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  11. meggett

meggett Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nah. the draft is happening regardless of what happens with the CBA. After March 4, free agency will start whenever an agreement is made. Whether it be march 10th or sept 10th...also, no trading players at the draft or for draft picks. alot of teams are gonna be affected, maybe not us as much, but i would hate to be a 49ers, panthers or or vikings fan right now
  12. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Interesting that at least one contract voided five days after the Super Bowl:

Source: Contract of Washington Redskins WR Santana Moss to void - ESPN

So if the Skins were to franchise Moss (they won't), but subsequently the Dolphins signed him to a free agent contract before March 5, we would get to see how it all got to play out. Snyder would b!tch and scream at Ross, but in the end, I think Moss would be awarded to Miami...perhaps with minor compensation due the Redskins.
  13. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Like I said, "most", though not all, expiring contracts would end with the end of the league year and the CBA. Asomugha's contract voided similarly, IIRC, making him technically a FA right this minute and, hypothetically, available to be signed. However, with no CBA on which to base terms of new contracts, there might be little incentive for teams to make relatively high-profile signings, especially for big money, without knowing for certain that critical terms wouldn't be invalidated within a new CBA framework later (assuming that the CBA would supersede individual contract terms).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.