PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the chargers big 3 played...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
i,e rivers ,LT and gates would it be better for our defense. Iam not saying it makes it easier , iam just wondering that considering our D takes what the opponent does best , we would take away LT and gates and let rivers beat us. What if LT doesnt play ..who do we take away ? turner, sproles ? Iam wondering what the pats D will try and do then .

Re: If the chargers big 3 played ..

I think it's much tougher, especially Gates. Tomlinson doesn't normally play with Turner and Sproles anyway. I think BB goes into this game determined to take away the running backs on screen passes. That goes for all 3 of them.

I think it's much tougher, especially Gates. Tomlinson doesn't normally play with Turner and Sproles anyway. I think BB goes into this game determined to take away the running backs on screen passes. That goes for all 3 of them.

i,e rivers ,LT and gates would it be better for our defense. Iam not saying it makes it easier , iam just wondering that considering our D takes what the opponent does best , we would take away LT and gates and let rivers beat us. What if LT doesnt play ..who do we take away ? turner, sproles ? Iam wondering what the pats D will try and do then .
i think letting rivers beat you is the same mistake tennessee and indy made

i don't think Belichick will decide to make that mistake

i think he's going to try and figure out a way of sending an extra blitzer from various positions all game to mess with PR's timing and not let the chargers offense establish any sort of rhythm

i think that will be his plan, that and to watch the screen closely, he's probably got some kind of genius disguises in store for san diego tomorrow, hope my team is smart enough to react quickly to them.

Losing Gates would be a significant loss for SD. He is a matchup nightmare. I'd actually prefer Rivers to play assuming he is going to be gimpy. Our pass rush against the Jags was pretty good but Garrard was able to worm his way out of a number of close calls and make some big plays. Not sure if a beat up Rivers would be able to do that. SD is deep at running back and I expect them to be able to get some yards on the ground no matter who is playing. Assuming our offense plays well we only need the defense to come up with 2 or 3 stops all game and we should be fine.

I expect only Tomlinson will be close to his usual self today. He'll probably play and play well. Rivers and Gates are injured. Gates will play, but with that toe limiting him, he's just not going to be the same Gates that causes teams problems. He'll be a much more ordinary guy to cover. I think he'll play, but not to cause the typical Gates matchup problems. And from what I hear on Rivers, the team is for the most part leaving it up to him as to how he feels in warmups. The man has 2 banged up knees, and specifically the right knee, the plant knee, is gonna cause him some problems if he plays. I dont realistically expect he'll be much of a factor today. I honestly hope he doesnt take the field and risk further injuring either leg. But if he does, I'd think it would only help our D in handling an injured QB. He wont have any mobility whatsoever. And they can ill afford to get behind in this game. Switching Qs down a couple of scores wouldnt be a good thing for them.

Imo, the biggest injury outside of Rivers is Jamal Williams ankle injury. I think the key to their pressure will be from right over center with the nose tackle, and if Williams cant go, or plays at less than his usual self, they wont get that pressure. Brady will be able to step up in the pocket away from that outside pressure that Merriman and Phillips will be bringing, and make his plays. And I dont think Williams has practiced all week. Huge factor there. In the Baltimore game, that nose Ngata was a MAJOR factor. Anytime you have a huge presence over the ball and demand a double team from a C and a G, it can cause a breakdown in protection. Without Williams in there, I just dont see that happening.

But no excuses from either side today. We've suffered losses as well starting with Marquise Hill, and then of course Colvin and Sammy Morris, and Watson for a little while. And all of the injuries last year factored in as well, but that's just football. Im thankful that most of these guys have made it to this point pretty healthy.

Last edited:

A fully healthy Chargers team would be much more difficult than what we'll probably see today.
Fwiw, Rivers didn't exactly lead the Bolt's to victory last week. Volek, Norv, & the running game did. Not to mention the mountain of inopportune turnovers that Indy committed.

If completely healthy, I still think letting Rivers beat you, but taking LdT, and doubling Gates works more often than any other option.

Tennessee didn't make a mistake in their defensive game plans, they just have the 2nd most pathetic offense in the league next to Baltimore's.

I think Rivers and Gates will be relative non-factors if they play or not. Their injuries are too significant to make them close to their normal selves. LT, on the other hand, will make a difference.

Volek will play and be very effective. He is more consistent and experienced than Rivers. LDT will play and will only be slowed slightly. Turner will spell him. Gates is still hobbled. How many injections did he take this weekend? Is his toe any better than last week. Can our D account for Gates at 70%. I think so.

Volek has me worried. I think he is better than Rivers honestly. Rivers is so up and down. Teams always play harder when the back-up starts. If the Pats D can't get pressure then it won't matter who is back there. They will find the open man RB or WR.

Also look for LDT to loft a pass or two in the redzone or in a 4th down situation.

Going to be tougher than the last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back