Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If Talib is not re-signed, how do you address the CB position?

• Prioritise a Free Agent replacement

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • A high draft pick (name please)

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Go with what we have and add later round value

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
How would you address the CB position?

1. A big name Free agent signing.

2. A high draft pick (name please)

3. Rely on the starters we have and go for late round value at the position.

4. Other.

I vote for the high draft pick. Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennardif they fall but more likely Bradley Roby.

4. Other.

The only way that I can see him not being re-signed if he's looking to get paid in the same stratosphere as the better CB's in the league. That said, if he isn't, the need at CB jumps up quite a bit. I would first take a look at second tier guys like Grimes, Shields, Davis, etc. and see what they're looking for. None of those guys are Talib, but they can come in and play the position without much drop off. Well, maybe not Davis because he's a dumb ass... but still.

After that, even with Talib, I'd look at a taller corner in the draft. Difference is that, with Talib, I wouldn't start looking for them until round three or so. Without him, we may need to look a bit earlier. Second round at the latest. Gilbert, Roberson, Purifoy, etc. Jean-Baptiste is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I would love to keep Talib, draft Jean-Baptiste in the third, ease him in on the outside during the season and push Dennard into the slot. That would give us three very physical CB's that are hard to get separation against when playing press.

As for the starters we have? No. I don't have faith that either Ryan or Arrington could replace what Talib gave us.

4. Other.

If Talib is not resigned, I think it leaves us real shorthanded. I do not love any of the top free agents, although I think Sam Shields is intriguing as is Rodgers Cromartie but it's going to force us to draft one.

You saw what happened when he went down against the Broncos, I like Dennard and think he is a good number 2 but we would definitely need an upgrade.

I think someone in the draft like Justin Gilbert or Keith McGill would be options. For the sake of the poll, I am going to say we would need to draft someone and pretty early.

If Talib is not resigned, I think it leaves us real shorthanded. I do not love any of the top free agents, although I think Sam Shields is intriguing as is Rodgers Cromartie but it's going to force us to draft one.

You saw what happened when he went down against the Broncos, I like Dennard and think he is a good number 2 but we would definitely need an upgrade.

I think someone in the draft like Justin Gilbert or Keith McGill would be options. For the sake of the poll, I am going to say we would need to draft someone and pretty early.

McGill's latest injury concerns (which, frankly, also sound like conditioning concerns) scare me. But his size is tempting though.

Glad to see another Gilbert fan. I think he's being underrated generally. As much as I like Darqueze, and I do, Gilbert is the closest thing to Talib in this draft as I see it.

I do like Roby's current value though.

I don't think you can expect a rookie to step in and play #1 CB at an elite level. Look how Morris Claiborne, Dre Kirkpatrick and Dee Milliner have struggled. I like both Gilbert and Dennard, but I really don't think either one can step in and replace Talib to the extent that Alterraun Verner or Brent Grimes could.

I would probably sign a UFA and draft someone like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Louichez Purifoy or Kyle Fuller if Talib left. If Talib re-signs, I would probably wait until day 3. I want as many as possible out of Antone Exum, Aaron Colvin, Jonathan Dowling and Dontae Johnson for depth at both CB and S.

But far and away my preference would be to re-sign Talib.

My number 1 option would be to resign Talib. He is a proven fit in this defense and has shown the ability to shut down top 5 WRs in the NFL when healthy. Number two option would be to find a cheaper replacement in free agency, but all free agent corners are pricey, it's just a matter of how much you're saving vs what you're giving up in talib.

And of course there's always the draft. To be honest BB's track record of drafting corners has been very spotty outside of Dennard and Logan Ryan, who looks to be improving. Ras I Dowling was a disaster, Darius Butler never turned out, Wheatley was a bust, and he has had many many other misses in the 2nd round.

Drafting for secondary appears to have been a big weakness in the Belichick era. Will Tavon Wilson ever turn out or how about Duron Harmon? With Dennard did we just get crazy lucky or was that great scouting? Can Logan Ryan turn into a starter caliber player at outside corner?

I like Dennard if he falls to 29, that's about it for a Talib replacement

Verner would be a great replacement in the draft i like stanley jean baptiste in the 2nd or 3rd and then Gilbert and Dennard and Roby

The only way that I can see him not being re-signed if he's looking to get paid in the same stratosphere as the better CB's in the league. That said, if he isn't, the need at CB jumps up quite a bit. I would first take a look at second tier guys like Grimes, Shields, Davis, etc. and see what they're looking for. None of those guys are Talib, but they can come in and play the position without much drop off. Well, maybe not Davis because he's a dumb ass... but still.

I agree, and I certainly hope Talib re-signs. When fully healthy he's near shutdown, he fits in to the team nicely, and continuity is important after all the secondary upheaval of recent years.

After that, even with Talib, I'd look at a taller corner in the draft. Difference is that, with Talib, I wouldn't start looking for them until round three or so. Without him, we may need to look a bit earlier. Second round at the latest. Gilbert, Roberson, Purifoy, etc. Jean-Baptiste is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I would love to keep Talib, draft Jean-Baptiste in the third, ease him in on the outside during the season and push Dennard into the slot. That would give us three very physical CB's that are hard to get separation against when playing press.

Much as I like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, I think right now I'd wait until day 3 to draft a taller corner in the draft. Antone Exum (6' 220#), Aaron Colvin (5' 11 1/2 195#), Jonathan Dowling (6' 2 1/2" 198#) and Dontae Johnson (6' 2 1/2" 199#) all have tremendous upside, and versatility to play safety as well. I wouldn't mind snagging 2 of them depending on our comp pick situation.

As for the starters we have? No. I don't have faith that either Ryan or Arrington could replace what Talib gave us.

Again, I strongly agree.

Verner would be a great replacement in the draft i like stanley jean baptiste in the 2nd or 3rd and then Gilbert and Dennard and Roby

I think Verner would be a tremendous pickup, but I have a hard time seeing us being able to afford him. There are teams out there with 35+ million in cap space that are in dire need of a corner and will probably offer him the moon.

I would go high pick and then double dip with a guy later. I would prefer big guys, so Jean-Baptiste, Purifoy, Desir in the 2nd/3rd and someone in 5th or later.

Sherman
Revis
Talib
Peterson
Haden

are the only "shutdown" CBs in the NFL. If Talib is not re-signed, the CB1 position is downgraded and BB can no longer play his defense the way he sees fit. (Put Talib on Graham 1 on 1, have Talib follow the best WR)

If Talib isn't resigned, I'll just be upset. :D No other free agent CBs are close to shutdown and the next best thing in Grimes turns 31, the start of a decline for CBs usually.

Also, the idea of a rookie CB being thrust into a CB1 spot. :rofl: My TV may be thrown out the window if we draft a 1st round CB.

Sherman
Revis
Talib
Peterson
Haden

are the only "shutdown" CBs in the NFL. If Talib is not re-signed, the CB1 position is downgraded and BB can no longer play his defense the way he sees fit. (Put Talib on Graham 1 on 1, have Talib follow the best WR)

If Talib isn't resigned, I'll just be upset. :D No other free agent CBs are close to shutdown and the next best thing in Grimes turns 31, the start of a decline for CBs usually.

Also, the idea of a rookie CB being thrust into a CB1 spot. :rofl: My TV may be thrown out the window if we draft a 1st round CB.

Like Devin McCourty you mean? Did Sherman or Revis start their rookie years? It's not that laughable a notion.

I voted to re-sign Talib, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

The top rounds need to be saved to find us help at DE, TE, SS, C/G & DT.

We really can't afford to lose Talib. Just can't.

I mean, he does have that re-occurring hip injury which needs to be looked at closely and he's missed some games-- big games. But it's one of those situations where we won't find any better options (talent or scheme knowledge) in FA, and although I really like the depth at CB in this draft class, there isn't a rookie corner that can come in and be a top 5 CB in the NFL-- which is exactly what Talib is when he's on the field.

I'm hoping we can get him for something like 4 years at 30 million with 15 guaranteed (7.5 per).

I still hope we draft one or two corners in this class; good class of corners.

Guys like fuller or ej gaines in the 2nd or third round. Hopefully by end of year they'll be developed. Maybe they tag and trade talib for a pick.

I know he doesn't fit the big corner blue print (zZz) but if Lamarcus Joyner is their at the end of the second we gotta get him.

I know he doesn't fit the big corner blue print (zZz) but if Lamarcus Joyner is their at the end of the second we gotta get him.

I'd like to agree but I just don't see how he fits on the roster. I was pimping Joyner before last years draft so I'm a fan but a) I don't see BB taking a 5'8" guy that early and B), second round guys are projected to be year one starters. Whose starting spot does he take? The only one that makes sense is Ryan/Arrington but I think BB will feel he has too much invested there to draft another for that position so high. I have the same problem trying to justify Picking Kyle Fuller.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back