PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Steelers win the Super Bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bball831

On the Roster
Reaction score
it will be the greatest accomplishment in a single postseason in NFL History. A 6-seed beating two #1 seeds, a #2 seed, and a #3 seed all on the road except for the Super Bowl. I have to say that is just amazing. Three straight wins on the road and all pretty impressive wins. Anyone disagree?

bball831 said:
it will be the greatest accomplishment in a single postseason in NFL History. A 6-seed beating two #1 seeds, a #2 seed, and a #3 seed all on the road except for the Super Bowl. I have to say that is just amazing. Three straight wins on the road and all pretty impressive wins. Anyone disagree?

It would be really hard to argue otherwise. I think they might have a tougher time with Seattle than I had originally suspected though.

It was that #4 seed that would have done them in though.

huskeralk said:
It would be really hard to argue otherwise. I think they might have a tougher time with Seattle than I had originally suspected though.

Pats didn't win it in 1985, but they beat the iron of the league on the road.

Hard to say how you'd compare them.

bball831 said:

#3 seed was a seriously overrated team that hadn't won a playoff game since the Reagan administration; #1 seed has Peyton Manning as QB; #2 seed has Jake Plummer as QB; SB opponent are the Seattle Seahawks of all franchises.

I'll take beating Oakland, who had among others, a SB-winning coach, an MVP, and a Heisman trophy winner, in a blizzard at Foxboro Stadium's swan song; beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh with statue of QB; and finally bringing it to the 14 point favourite, "Greatest Show on Turf".

It doesn't really matter, it would/will just be one Super Bowl.

Not to taint our legacy, but can we stop referring the weather at the tuck rule game a "blizzard?" If my memory serves me right, about 4-5 inches of snow fell fell that night. It was a standard, slow things down for a day New England snowstorm. The Miami game in '03 was much closer to a blizzard.

Now that's out of the way, I must agree that the '01 playoff run was the greatest I have ever witnessed.

BelichickFan said:
It doesn't really matter, it would/will just be one Super Bowl.

I know that, that is why I said that it would be the greatest accomplishment in a single postseason.

Seymour93 said:
#3 seed was a seriously overrated team that hadn't won a playoff game since the Reagan administration; #1 seed has Peyton Manning as QB; #2 seed has Jake Plummer as QB; SB opponent are the Seattle Seahawks of all franchises.

I'll take beating Oakland, who had among others, a SB-winning coach, an MVP, and a Heisman trophy winner, in a blizzard at Foxboro Stadium's swan song; beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh with statue of QB; and finally bringing it to the 14 point favourite, "Greatest Show on Turf".

Well then you can say that the Patriots beat a team with Kordell Stewart as their QB, and the Rams had Mike Martz calling the offensive plays. And plus, the Patriots were at home for the first game. The Steelers beat an MVP QB also and beat a Denver team who had not lost at home all year. That is pretty impressive stuff.

Seymour93 said:

I'd also like to add that the Steelers had a lot of injuries this year, hell they had Tommy Maddox back there for a few games. This team was much better then a sixth seed, could have competed for a number 1 or 2 had they been healthy (just like the 4th seed). The two best teams were the Steelers and the Pats, both were lower seeds because of injuries and injuries alone. Unfortunately the Pats dropped the ball, quite literally. Otherwise the Steelers road would have been much more difficult. As it is, the Steelers run is still impressive, but it is quite clear that the Steelers were much better then the teams that they beat, its not so shocking or amazing that they won.

dante828 said:
I'd also like to add that the Steelers had a lot of injuries this year, hell they had Tommy Maddox back there for a few games. This team was much better then a sixth seed, could have competed for a number 1 or 2 had they been healthy (just like the 4th seed). The two best teams were the Steelers and the Pats, both were lower seeds because of injuries and injuries alone. Unfortunately the Pats dropped the ball, quite literally. Otherwise the Steelers road would have been much more difficult. As it is, the Steelers run is still impressive, but it is quite clear that the Steelers were much better then the teams that they beat, its not so shocking or amazing that they won.

That is very true, but the still the fact that they beat 3 playoff teams on the road is still very impressive.

I'm going to have to disagree with this post...

Usually their be no way I could argue this, but lets look at the facts.

1-6 up and down this may of been the best bracket in the playoffs in NFL history.

Look who they beat, 1,2 and 3 all ofensive teams. Esspecially when they went through Cinci and Indy.

If they had faced the Pats BB more then likely would of been able to expose them, they were able to throw the ball knowing that teams were looking to stop the run and we know BB would of had his team well coached and it would of been harder.

It's a accomplishment with out a doubt, but I won't say it's the best.

bball831 said:

Plus, the Steelers will have beaten 4 division champs
the top 3 teams in terms of regular season wins
4 teams who had a total of 51 regular-season wins.

If the Steelers pull it off, their postseason run has to be considered among the league's best.

As of now, I'd say the paths are comparable. The thread addresses "if the steelers win"

RayClay said:
Pats didn't win it in 1985, but they beat the iron of the league on the road.

Hard to say how you'd compare them.

bball831 said:
I know that, that is why I said that it would be the greatest accomplishment in a single postseason.
Understood, to me it's just not a big deal. They certainly won't have to beat a team as good as the Rams were in 2001 (remember they had a top five defense in addition to their offense). It's difficult enough to compare dynasties, even tougher to compare single seasons in which there's a smaller sample size. Pittsburgh or Seattle will win the Super Bowl. Congrats to whichever does. But it doesn't make them better than any other SB champion of recent years.

I agree with you........

Seymour93 said:

I'll take the Pats 2001 campaign as the greatest SB win by a team that had to play a heck of a tough playoff schedule to get there...(heck any of our "roads to the superbowls" were HARDER than what the squeelers did.....like you say....Wash was overrated, Manning is a choker/*****, and The real "Jake" was bound to come out eventually during the playoffs (unfortuneatly we didn't make him beat us last week.....or things could have been drastically different..)...........

Guys,

Not to all of you, just to some of you. There is no shame in another team accomplishing great things. And to be honest, I would love seeing Bettis Ward and Rothlesburger with rings.

Personally, I think if the Steelers win this whole thing, it will be the greatest post season accomplishment in History. They not only would have won all there games on the road, they would have beaten the refs as well. They overcame probably the worse call I have ever seen in post season history! And that tackle by Rothlesburger was amazing!

They are a great team, about ready to accomplish great things. If they do, it takes nothing away from the Pats. And I am happy for them!

When the Pats beat them at Heinz field this season, those guys had nothing but praise for the Pats and showed a lot of class!

We can't win it every season, and as long as it isn't Manning, who better then the Steelers!

I agree that it would be an amazing feat, maybe the best ever in playoff history. But again, as others have said, the #6 ranking is very specious, as they were a much better team than that that was (to borrow a Martzian phrase) held hostage by the QB position mid-season.

I will be rooting for PIT in the SB as well. I think PIT winning it all will be a great thing for the AFC as it will shift the focus of power to the Pats & Steelers. I think that sort of parity among the upper echelon is essential for gridiron drama.

And the best part is that the Pats & Steelers will be regarded as the Big Boys of the league, with Indy once again playing the role of Perenniel Pretender. :)

Three in succession on the road is a hard ask, no question.

OK, maybe Cincinnati weren't as good as their record, but they were certainly up for the game. Whatever we think of Indianapolis, their performances this season (not least against the Steelers and the Patriots in the regular season) were excellent. And the home field advantage in Denver is never to be ignored.

So I give credit to the Steelers, however much I dislike Cowher and whatever the motivation of the thread starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back