PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If someone says this about a QB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
that he will throw a couple to the other team in each game and if they catch it they can win else they stand no chance how would you feel ?
i saw nfln,espn and all networks talking this about Favre the HOF quarterback and HERO with the GIFT and powers... is this really a +ve endorsement for a quarterback ?

Re: If someone says this about a QB..

that he will throw a couple to the other team in each game and if they catch it they can win else they stand no chance how would you feel ?
i saw nfln,espn and all networks talking this about Favre the HOF quarterback and HERO with the GIFT and powers... is this really a +ve endorsement for a quarterback ?

I hear this about Favre a lot, but I never see a breakdown of when and where the interceptions happen, so it's kind of an incomplete argument for everyone. A pick on 3rd and long from around the 50 is a lot different from a pick on first and goal.

Favre is like Bledsoe, in that they are players who came in at the end of one era and will have left during another. The time of the gunslinger has been replaced by the time of the game manager, as coaches have taken to looking at risk first and reward second.

Last edited:

I hear this about Favre a lot, but I never see a breakdown of when and where the interceptions happen, so it's kind of an incomplete argument for everyone. A pick on 3rd and long from around the 50 is a lot different from a pick on first and goal.

Favre is like Bledsoe, in that they are players who came in at the end of one era and will have left during another. The time of the gunslinger has been replaced by the time of the game manager, as coaches have taken to looking at risk first and reward second.

That's what makes players like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning so special. They have all the production of a gunslinger, but do it through hard work, intelligence, and discipline. All the production, half the risk.

That's what makes players like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning so special. They have all the production of a gunslinger, but do it through hard work, intelligence, and discipline. All the production, half the risk.

But that doesn't really make them special, in my eyes. They are both great players, but they came into the game during the game manager era, so they learned under that system. Almost every quarterback today plays the same way, and some of them can compete in the production department. A guy like Drew Brees is a perfect example, I'd argue.

However, as good as Brees is (he may be the best QB in the league right now, with Brady and Palmer out and Manning struggling), he's not in the same class as Favre has been for his career. What makes a player like Manning/Brady/Favre special is that they are a step above everyone else in their era, no matter what that era might be. That's why Favre will go to the Hall of Fame, and Bledsoe will have trouble getting in despite having Hall of Fame numbers. Bledsoe was among the very best in his time, but he never separated himself with either Super Bowl wins or other noted achievements.

Could Brees/Manning/Brady survive in the 1970's? I'd give that a 99.99% likelihood of the answer being "yes". Would they thrive the way they do today? We really have no idea, because the era changes tend to accompany significant rule changes. Manning's timing game would be destroyed by the bump-and-run coverages of the 1970's, for example, so he'd have to completely remake his game. On the other hand, I think guys Bledsoe and Favre would absolutely dominate in that era, with their ability to throw the ball a country mile and their willingness to hold the ball until they see a sliver of a chance to go deep.

Last edited:

So far this year, Favre throws 2+ picks, Jets lose. Throws 1 or 0, they win. Not sure how that breaks down for other QBs across the league, but here's to hoping for a pair or more. :)

So far this year, Favre throws 2+ picks, Jets lose. Throws 1 or 0, they win. Not sure how that breaks down for other QBs across the league, but here's to hoping for a pair or more. :)
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Favre threw one INT against us and lost, and he threw two and three INTs against the Bengals and Chiefs (respectively) and won.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Favre threw one INT against us and lost, and he threw two and three INTs against the Bengals and Chiefs (respectively) and won.

Could have sworn I had read that last week in a handicapping trend column. Maybe I was thinking it's when St. Louis has 2+ picks they win games, but I thought it was in conjunction with Favre having the exact same stat. Either I misremembered or I need to start reading a new handicapping trends column!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots