Welcome to PatsFans.com

If society broke down, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 23, 2009.

?

if society broke down, would you...

1. leave your community

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. stay put

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

consider this a bit of an essay contest... let's at least TRY to avoid the partisan snapping for a thread, if we can...

it's a morbid hypothetical, i know... but indulge me... not about whether it's even gonna happen, or who was to blame... but how you would try and survive and keep your loved ones safe...

imagine complete and sudden economic collapse after an internet or bio-attack, or some such, tipped our teetering boat over the edge... the banks fail for good, auto industry goes belly up, airlines stopped, massive layoffs, internet and cell phones barely work, grocery trucks couldn't get out, civil disorder ... blackouts ... if basic daily services began to erode, and rumors of imminent martial law were rampant (but maybe not yet enforced), even rumors of war ... what would be your first plans? ... would you stay put? go to family out of state? what would you barter with, if anything? would you take your boat? raid the supermarket and stock up?.... would you brave the highway system? would you go into survivor mode in your community? could you? do you have horticultural skills? basic first aid? .... know how to find clean drinking water? ... or, would you accept fate and wait it out quietly in your home, hoping for federal rescue?

No one has to reveal personal information, and you can keep it vague...

("i'd pray" is fine... but, please, no pontifications of religious theory here..)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +36 / 5 / -3

Get our gun collection out of my dads basement, add more security to our property and bring protection with me wherever I went. I wouldn't try to leave unless there was no other choice because things might be worse wherever I try to go. We have a lot of family in my town and it would be best to keep near those who I know and can trust. Of course attaining food and water is another issue but raiding markets is just something I could never bring myself to do.

Martial law would suck but I'd take it over NOTHING.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +266 / 10 / -11

I'd probably get stoned, but once I sobered up, I'd pack my bags and leave. The lesson of history seems to be that those who stay in dire straits suffer more than those who choose change.

[​IMG]

4. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +36 / 5 / -3

A problem I have with trying to "brave the highways" and get the hell out of there is the part about getting gas. I'm sure it would be absolute mayhem trying to leave and get gas. I wouldn't bother trying.

5. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Good morning everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +538 / 6 / -2

I've thought about this all my life. It's probably cuz of all the movies I've watched, begining with "The Day After" back during the Cold War, when I was a kid. The Armagedon type, Red Dawn, Escape from NY doomsday scenario stuff that makes you think about what you would do in a similar situation. If it happened today, my aunt and uncle next door would be the first people I'd check in with, then I'd go straight for my fiance's house, to pick up her and her mom, and then try to get to the town my parents, sister, and bro's family live in (they all live in the same town). My bro has 7 or 8 rifles at his house, so I'd round those up, and probably move to set up shop at my mom's, or sisters. Probably my sisters since she's close to a pond. Whatever happened

This is an interesting thread topic PC. With some of the uncertainty that exists today, you could see a scenario where the gubmit could fail, at some point down the road. Minute obviously, and extremely unlikely, but it is more plausible than ever before. I'm pro gun control, and don't like guns at all, but I've been considering owning one over the last couple of years for some reason. I guess I'd rather have one locked up and available, than be standing without a chair when the music stops. If I do guy one, I'd probably buy a safe to put it in, and lock it up for emergency use only. One thing I do know, I wouldn't be staying here in Chelsea.

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I live in a rural area and have enough land to grow some crops (grew family gardens growing up) and there's plenty of wild country to do fishing and hunting (lots of experience growing up). There are a few streams and rivers near where I live so water wouldn't be a problem. Heat would be a problem in the winter though. A wood stove or fireplace would be a necessity. I did burn wood for heat for ten years at my previous house. I guess I'd probably have to make sure I had a gun and a dog. Having some chickens would be a good idea too. Thankfully my wife is an RN. Maybe treating neighbors for some health issues would get us some bartering clout. I think an advantage goes to people growing up in rural environments. Anyone know how to make a still?

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

most say to get out of the cities if it were ever to go down... not just out of fear of nukes, but general civil unrest and population density ...

9. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I'd be praying.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You do that...I'll pick you up in my urban assault vehicle when you're done. You can pray all the way to the mountain camp in upstate NY, brother! We got lost of water, the whole towns armed to the teeth. Lots of game, fish, land to grow weed and you can ferment anything to get booze. My bro-in-law makes an awesome blueberry and apple wine.

I'll probly be taking some important cultural stuff with me like my concert ticket collection and this cool neon beer light.....All I need is this lamp...and this ashtray....and definitely bringing the dog and pool table. Damn! I might have to rent a U-Haul.

11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

oh, i'll be doing some of that, but id be thinking about the big picture too ;)

Hey, your last couple of lines sounded like Steve Martin in "The Jerk"
    "......and thats all I need...." classic.

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

YouTube - Picard's response to Rick Warren

13. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -2

#80 Jersey

Since I have no natural worth while skills that would help me survive this type of a scenario without doing so.... I would likely become one of the bad guys that you would need to protect yourself from.

I hate to think like this, but if we are being really honest here... that's just the way it would be for me. I would take whatever I could by force from whoever I could take it from (I wouldn’t target families with children or disabled people), until I get killed or thrown into a military prison.

Basically… if it’s kill or be killed… I would choose kill.

14. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

this is just a great thread.

Americans have been so spoiled and softened up there is no way 75% of the population wouldnt have a complete mental breakdown when they realized they couldnt get a Big Mac on demand or would have to actually walk down the street or ride a bike or not have internet access or television or nothing to entertain themselves for over 5 minutes.

There would be wailing and gnashing of teeth that a decent cup of coffee wasnt available or mtv wasnt available. Children would be unconsolabe that they would have to eat what was served to them or they might have to read a book or go without brand new sneakers for a while.

You wouldnt be able to think with all the screaming, crying, complaining, and sighing.

thats when everyone will just start shooting each other.

Modern America - Doing Without.

I dont think we are capable of it like our grandparents and great grandparents did.

15. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Go to Harrys house it would be safe there. :D..... Seriously at first Stay put and assess the situation. There is plenty of game around here and i live right on a river that flows out of the hills so the water is drinkable.

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I'd probably go to a warm climate where food can be grown year round. Staying in New England could be a death sentence without fruits and vegetables. Also, disease seems to spread faster in cold winter climates.

I've actually considered calling my family for an action plan, but I know they'd think I was psycho, so I haven't. If I did, I would figure out a meeting place for all of us and then travel from there.

17. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

children will eat their parents. then if they have to, they will eat their dogs.

18. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Thats my first thought,but i'd want to do it in the safest way possible. Therefore assess the situation first. I'm talking Central America not Florida although my daughter lives there.

19. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

For a recent example, go back to Hurricane Katrina and how people reacted when civil order was disrupted. In Mississippi, I saw firsthand, neighbors helping neighbors where one had water, another propane and a third food and they worked together to feed,arm and protect themselves and to dig out and get order reestablished.
    Not everyone will be so self-sufficient, you'll still have those waiting on bridges for Uncle Sam and he may not come next time...

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +372 / 11 / -28

At one time prided myself on being a survivalist, but have lost a step and this edge lately. As much as I think I would do this, would probably be immersed in protecting my grandchildren and my wife. Have access to really great gear, guns and know where to go.. but why to to the woods where there will be as much chaos in the elements??.