PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Seymour is injured before the deal is final in August...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
...can we call the whole thing off?

I'm just wondering, having read that the deal won't be official until later in August when they hit the one year mark on the renegotiated contract that followed his hold out last year in camp. That means, assuming he doesn't skip camp, if he suffers a Colvinesque career threatening injury in mini-camp or early in camp, it would make no sense for the Patriots to commit that much of the cap to Seymour.

If it were just about money adhereing to the spirit of the contract would be the right thing to do - but from a football sense you wouldn't tie up that much in the cap to a player who might not play again.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here - I'm hoping there's a way that Seymour and the team could buy a private insurance policy that would cover Seymour in case something happened before the contract was signed, assuring him of receiving the full value of his contract from an insurance policy if God forbid something like that happened.

In that case, Seymour would get his money, and the Pats would rip up his contract with no adverse cap consequence.

I'm guessing that's what is happening between now and August - but does anyone else have any inights into such matters?

Last edited:
Seymour's agent had to protect his client with a guarantee clause.

Example

Seymour is due to receive $20 million in salary and roster bonuses in 2009. That amount will be guaranteed if the Pats do not pick an option for the 2010 season by August. That amount will be reduced if the Pats do pick up the option.

Miguel said:

Example

Seymour is due to receive $20 million in salary and roster bonuses in 2009. That amount will be guaranteed if the Pats do not pick an option for the 2010 season by August. That amount will be reduced if the Pats do pick up the option.

That's interesting information as well - but I thought the contract wasn't official until August of 2006.

(and I assume you mean if the Pats don't pick up his 2010 option THIS August then $20 million in salary and roster bonuses due in 2009 become guaranteed.)

But it seemed like everyone was clear that although sent the contract to the league for review, it would not be official until 1 year from the time he signed his contract (starting from August of last year).

So, if Seymour pulls a "Kelvin Winslow" while celebrating today, does he get his money or is that not official until some time in August?

So do players in that situation protect themselves with private insurance policies given the fact they have an agreement in principle?

Hopefully it's a moot point (unless BB is infatuated with putting Seymour at fullback in Training Camp!!!)

Miguel said:

Example

Please note the above numbers are theoretical.

Miguel said:
Please note the above numbers are theoretical.

I am also assuming that since the NFLPA is citing increased contract numbers for Seymour that the contract IS signed sealed and delivered and is currently active.

If that's NOT the case then I'd still be interested in knowing what a player does to insure himself prior to a contract taking effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back