PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If San Diego brings the blitz tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchback Jack

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Kevin Faulk is going to have the game of his life.

This man is severely underrated in terms of production and clutch first down pick ups. If we go underneath to Faulk tomorrow, it's going to be a long and painful day for the Chargers.

The Chargers LB's are a pretty fast blitzing group, but not fast enough where Tom can't pick up on it and dump it.

kevin faulk is under rated, I always say that every time the guy runs. I hope he has a huge game sunday, that'd be great.

kevin faulk is our reggie bush. there isnt much difference between the two besides age. i'd like to see him get recognition someday, he def gets into the pats hof.

I agree, Kevin will have a big game as will Wes. I've always said Kevin Faulk is one of the most important players on this team, and without him we wouldn't be nearly as good. It seems like every time we need a big play, for as long as I can remember, this guy has been there.

We do have lots of options against the blitz. If I were SD I would try pressuring Brady, it likely won't work but not pressuring him is guaranteed not to work.

If San Diego brings the blitz tomorrow, they will lose. Jaworski said that Brady has been blitzed more than any QB has this season, and the result was that Brady won his first MVP award and set QB records. The Jaguars played the right strategy against the Pats by not blitzing-- that game would have been a lot closer if the Jags had better receivers. The only thing teams can do is try to get fumbles on those dunk passes by hitting guys like Faulk and Welker hard, or otherwise just make our receivers get afraid to get hit so they don't run crisp routes.

They'll have to bring some sort of a blitz. I'm sure after watching last weeks game films, they certainly won't leave Brady unmolested in the pocket a la Jacksonville. Faulk, Welker, and Watson should have a great day catching the stuff short.
Would be nice to see Maroney having another day like he did with the Jaguars and take some of the pressure off Brady.

kevin is an unsung HERO! no doubt about it,hope the chargers forget about him,like everyone else. except us:D he will make them pay

I see some well designed Maroney screens, as well as the quick hit receiver screens to Donte & Jabar.
SD is a solid tackling, fast bunch, so these plays may or may not be effective immediately, but it will help wear down the D as the game goes along.

If San Diego brings the blitz tomorrow, they will lose. Jaworski said that Brady has been blitzed more than any QB has this season, and the result was that Brady won his first MVP award and set QB records. The Jaguars played the right strategy against the Pats by not blitzing-- that game would have been a lot closer if the Jags had better receivers. The only thing teams can do is try to get fumbles on those dunk passes by hitting guys like Faulk and Welker hard, or otherwise just make our receivers get afraid to get hit so they don't run crisp routes.

Im not sure how a strategy that sees Brady going 26-28 with one of the 2 incompletions being a terrible drop is the right thign to do.
Personally, I dont think doing the same thing consistently, no matter what it is will ever stop this offense.
If I'm devising the gameplan to stop the Pat offense, I am going to constantly change what I do. That way, you stand the chance of putting the Pats into something they aren't expecting. If they know what you are going to do, and have the right play called against it you have absoilutely no chance.

If they bring more than 4 on a blitz Brady will make them pay. 6 guys cannot cover Watson, Moss, Welker, Gaffney and Faulk. They can generate pressure with a 4 man pass rush, though, and drop 7, and I think if they're smart that's what they'll try to do.

Frankly I hope they try to do what Jax did, make it a ball control game. People seem to think that just because they became a prolific passing team this year that they do not have the ability to grind it out in a time of possession game which I think is completely untrue.

Brady is too good this year to fall victim the blitz. He can think he on his feet and if you sacrifice coverage to blitz him, he WILL connect with one of the open receivers. I saw some stat that said Brady has something like a 118 QB rating when faced with the Blitz. The only way to slow him down is to get pressure with great pass rushing, but not employ the blitz. Easier said than done with O-line the Pats have this year.

Im not sure how a strategy that sees Brady going 26-28 with one of the 2 incompletions being a terrible drop is the right thign to do.
Personally, I dont think doing the same thing consistently, no matter what it is will ever stop this offense.
If I'm devising the gameplan to stop the Pat offense, I am going to constantly change what I do. That way, you stand the chance of putting the Pats into something they aren't expecting. If they know what you are going to do, and have the right play called against it you have absoilutely no chance.

Because they used a strategy to keep things from getting out of hand and it would have worked if Jax had better receivers. If SD is going to win tomorrow, they have to keep things close and then win by a few points because they happened to have the ball last. It's a strategy of containment and it was sound.

Frankly I hope they try to do what Jax did, make it a ball control game. People seem to think that just because they became a prolific passing team this year that they do not have the ability to grind it out in a time of possession game which I think is completely untrue.

Sure, they can grind it out, but the hope for Pats opponents is that you can get a random turnover that turns a close loss into a close win. Our defense can be scored upon. So, you don't need to take a lot of chances defensively to stop our offensive attack. Just make the Pats work for every 1st down and hope the law of averages catches up to them and they make a mistake. If you blitz and allow Brady to get a TD after picking up only 2 or 3 first downs on a drive, you are going to lose that game against us.

The game will be somewhat close in the first half ... they will be within 14 points ... then the 2nd half they will be spent and the game blows wide open.

Sure, they can grind it out, but the hope for Pats opponents is that you can get a random turnover that turns a close loss into a close win. Our defense can be scored upon. So, you don't need to take a lot of chances defensively to stop our offensive attack. Just make the Pats work for every 1st down and hope the law of averages catches up to them and they make a mistake. If you blitz and allow Brady to get a TD after picking up only 2 or 3 first downs on a drive, you are going to lose that game against us.

The Patriots average fewer than one turnover per game. Cutting the number of possessions puts more pressure on the opposition's offense than it does on the Patriots, as the Chargers now have to score touchdowns on nearly all of their possessions and they are more likely to turn the ball over than the Patriots. The Chargers can't make this a game of attrition; they will lose.

Kevin Faulk is going to have the game of his life.

This man is severely underrated in terms of production and clutch first down pick ups. If we go underneath to Faulk tomorrow, it's going to be a long and painful day for the Chargers.

Shakadave's Prediction Checker(TM) gives you an A, Jack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes