PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Samuel gets traded, who do we trade with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I would have to assume the some of the more likely suitors for a cornerback include Buffalo, NY Giants, Tennessee, Green Bay, Cleveland and Atlanta.

What would be the most likely destination? Who may be willing to give up the most now to get a quality cover corner entering his prime?

I think Dallas (needs a CB) or Washington (tried to trade for Bly) would be interested. Atlanta needs a CB and tried to trade for Deltha O'Neal, but I don't know if they have the cap room. New Orleans has a big need at CB.

I think a lot of teams would be interested in Asante.

Trade with atlanta see if they give a one and a 3 or flip flop 24 and 8 and they send us 2 number 2's 1 this and 1 next..

But then again I want Assante on the team this yr, because there is no other allternative...

Trade with atlanta see if they give a one and a 3 or flip flop 24 and 8 and they send us 2 number 2's 1 this and 1 next..

I don't think Atlanta would do that deal. If the Pats can't get a deal done, I'd love to see them move Asante and/or some combination of picks to move up and take Willis.

Atlanta has elevated Jimmy Williams to start across from DeAngelo Hall. They're set at CB.

I see no benefit from getting another low #1 just another over priced rookie, if we're going to trade him I think it needs to be some kind of package deal to get into the top 10 to get Landry or Johnson(unlikely is an understatement)

The saints need another CB to replace thomas who got resigned but is still crap

Samuel would be a nice complement next to Mike McKenzie and the pats might be able to get a first rounder for Samuel and a 3rd or maybe a 5th

Some of the deals being suggested here are ridiculous. There is NO WAY other teams are going to give us MORE than a #1 pick, especially if it's top ten. It's probably best to set more realistic expectations.

I don't think Atlanta would do that deal. If the Pats can't get a deal done, I'd love to see them move Asante and/or some combination of picks to move up and take Willis.
Cousins,
Just a donut and some coffee (chocolate flavored)for breakfast this A.M. (snuck a couple of bondie squares too) after some o.j.
Don't want to let Assante go but this is business. I understood he would sign for Blye money? Seemed reasonable.....wah happened? I guess we maight have to resort to plan "B".

How about a WAT (Wild A** Trade) for fun. Lets make it a blockbuster! People are gonna torch ole' DW Toys, but lighten up! It actually makes sense. Randy Cross has said that the Raiders should trade for Matt Cassel. I have suggested this in another thread already. Cassel worked with new Raiders HC Kiffin at USC. They have chemistry. The feeling is Cassel with his background in the high profile Pats system and some great, although limited experience, would be a better choice than Russell or anyone down the list.

Al Davis would actually like to get out of the #1 for money reasons. The Raiders have some "groceries" that the Pats could use. The Pats have some immediate young starters for the Raiders.

Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB on the Raiders. He had 8 interceptions and a sack in 2006 and he is good size at 6' 2", 206 lbs (you mean he's not a smurf CB?) and only 25. They also have Michael Huff whom the Pats coveted in 2005 with now, one year experience in the Pros. He had 78 tackles at SS in 06.

The Raiders desperately need more than just a QB. They need OL and DL help, NOW!

Here is my WAT. We lose Matt Cassel in 08 unless we up his $. Assante wants to go. We need a solid young safety. We can use a #1 to trade down and even use some of the trade in 08 if we want, i.e. we are not as player desperate as the Raiders.

I say trade Cassel (a CA guy) and Samuel, plus OT O'Callaghan (another CA guy), DE Hill (he's not going to play here but still made the squad the last three years and was a second rounder) and our #28 in the first, for Nnamdi Asomugha, Huff, their number #1 and their third rounder (#65).

Wins:
Raiders get a starting QB, OT, DE, excellent CB, and if they don't screw up the choice a quality first rounder at #28 (Merriweather? Kinda fits there anyway).They change 22% of their starting rotation and get young but experienced guys, not junk.

Wins:
Pats get a great CB to replace a great CB, with maybe more of an upside. They pick up a sure 10 year talented starter at SS we desperately need. We get a first choice pick that we will definitely drop down for more numbers. Maybe at #8 to the Falcons who covet Calvin Johnson and they have the 39th and 44th in round two.

Wins:
Atlanta gets Johnson they covet, perhaps the best player in the draft, at the first choice and a 3,000 value. They give the Pats the #8 choice at 1,400 value and two second rounders at a combined value of 970. So at 2,370 the Falcons win the points duel.

Wins part #2 for the Pats:
They pick up Willis at #8 ahead of SF and Buf., still keep #24 for perhaps a Revis.They now have two high (#39 and #44) choices in round two for perhaps Blaylock and Gonzales or even a Woodley or Harris, who should be there (Lynch?). Now remember we have another third rounder from Oakland (#65) for maybe a Wendling or Gattis or a Weddle. Oh Yeh, we have our #91 in three.

Let's see? We would have #8, #24, #39, #44, #65 and #91. 6 out of the top 100!!! plus Nnamdi Asomugha and Michael Huff, two young talented starters.

Some "thread pounder" says I dream in Technicolor. Perhaps...This is just for fun and if you look at it from all angles, everyone has gotten what they want (including Assante) and all three teams are better. IT MAKES SOME SENSE!

What about QB for the Pats? Pick up a Fiedler who can play in a few games if needed and actually more ready than Matt Cassel if God Forbid..... and there are a few talented QB's late.

What about OT?
We have some young talent there, so we can loose O'Callaghan and a Blaylock makes it stronger.

DE? Nuff said about Hill.

Assante? A realistic draw with Nnamdi Asomugha.

Remember we also get Willis et, al and the Pats get younger very quickly.

Whew!

DW Toys

Cousins,
Just a donut and some coffee (chocolate flavored)for breakfast this A.M. (snuck a couple of bondie squares too) after some o.j.
Don't want to let Assante go but this is business. I understood he would sign for Blye money? Seemed reasonable.....wah happened? I guess we maight have to resort to plan "B".

How about a WAT (Wild A** Trade) for fun. Lets make it a blockbuster! People are gonna torch ole' DW Toys, but lighten up! It actually makes sense. Randy Cross has said that the Raiders should trade for Matt Cassel. I have suggested this in another thread already. Cassel worked with new Raiders HC Kiffin at USC. They have chemistry. The feeling is Cassel with his background in the high profile Pats system and some great, although limited experience, would be a better choice than Russell or anyone down the list.

Al Davis would actually like to get out of the #1 for money reasons. The Raiders have some "groceries" that the Pats could use. The Pats have some immediate young starters for the Raiders.

Nnamdi Asomugha is the best CB on the Raiders. He had 8 interceptions and a sack in 2006 and he is good size at 6' 2", 206 lbs (you mean he's not a smurf CB?) and only 25. They also have Michael Huff whom the Pats coveted in 2005 with now, one year experience in the Pros. He had 78 tackles at SS in 06.

The Raiders desperately need more than just a QB. They need OL and DL help, NOW!

Here is my WAT. We lose Matt Cassel in 08 unless we up his $. Assante wants to go. We need a solid young safety. We can use a #1 to trade down and even use some of the trade in 08 if we want, i.e. we are not as player desperate as the Raiders.

I say trade Cassel (a CA guy) and Samuel, plus OT O'Callaghan (another CA guy), DE Hill (he's not going to play here but still made the squad the last three years and was a second rounder) and our #28 in the first, for Nnamdi Asomugha, Huff, their number #1 and their third rounder (#65).

Wins:
Raiders get a starting QB, OT, DE, excellent CB, and if they don't screw up the choice a quality first rounder at #28 (Merriweather? Kinda fits there anyway).They change 22% of their starting rotation and get young but experienced guys, not junk.

Wins:
Pats get a great CB to replace a great CB, with maybe more of an upside. They pick up a sure 10 year talented starter at SS we desperately need. We get a first choice pick that we will definitely drop down for more numbers. Maybe at #8 to the Falcons who covet Calvin Johnson and they have the 39th and 44th in round two.

Wins:
Atlanta gets Johnson they covet, perhaps the best player in the draft, at the first choice and a 3,000 value. They give the Pats the #8 choice at 1,400 value and two second rounders at a combined value of 970. So at 2,370 the Falcons win the points duel.

Wins part #2 for the Pats:
They pick up Willis at #8 ahead of SF and Buf., still keep #24 for perhaps a Revis.They now have two high (#39 and #44) choices in round two for perhaps Blaylock and Gonzales or even a Woodley or Harris, who should be there (Lynch?). Now remember we have another third rounder from Oakland (#65) for maybe a Wendling or Gattis or a Weddle. Oh Yeh, we have our #91 in three.

Let's see? We would have #8, #24, #39, #44, #65 and #91. 6 out of the top 100!!! plus Nnamdi Asomugha and Michael Huff, two young talented starters.

Some "thread pounder" says I dream in Technicolor. Perhaps...This is just for fun and if you look at it from all angles, everyone has gotten what they want (including Assante) and all three teams are better. IT MAKES SOME SENSE!

What about QB for the Pats? Pick up a Fiedler who can play in a few games if needed and actually more ready than Matt Cassel if God Forbid..... and there are a few talented QB's late.

What about OT?
We have some young talent there, so we can loose O'Callaghan and a Blaylock makes it stronger.

DE? Nuff said about Hill.

Assante? A realistic draw with Nnamdi Asomugha.

Remember we also get Willis et, al and the Pats get younger very quickly.

Whew!

DW Toys

Hey can I have some if the stuff you are on

Hey can I have some if the stuff you are on
Lighten Up Francis. This was for fun.......but it does make you wonder. No one looses.
DW Toys

Does anyone think that the Texans might be a trade partner given their situation with their D and drafting Mario Williams, needing serious corner help and holding a high pick? (allergy meds forgive my incoherent struggle to use real sentences)

AS & 24 for Houston's 1 and a 3 this year or a 2 next?

Yes, no, Hell no alergy boy, maybe??

The Redskins.

Pats will be lucky to get a first round pick for Samuel and I doubt that would be a top half pick. Sorry guys, that is just the way it is going to be. Samuel won't command as much interest as Briggs and Briggs isn't getting more than a swap of firsts.

I like the idea of trading him to TEN and GB.

If they can grab a second round pick and fourth round pick in 2007 and a third in 2008, I'll be happy. Ideally, the Pats will need a corner I don't know if they can get one in a trade that is worth much to this team. Maybe Terrance Newman, but who knows?

Pats will be lucky to get a first round pick for Samuel and I doubt that would be a top half pick. Sorry guys, that is just the way it is going to be. Samuel won't command as much interest as Briggs and Briggs isn't getting more than a swap of firsts.

Yeah, I agree with that. Asante wont draw a 1st from any team. Maybe an early 2nd.

But, I would totally do it for a 2nd. Asante wants a payday, and we want cheap young talent to fill our depth chart.

And after the way BB/SP have proven they can find find productive players like Gaffney and Hawkins walking the street, you have to wonder why fans think it's so important to re-sign him. He's not a Ty Law calibre player, people.

Hobbs, Gay, Scott, Wilson... that's more than enough at CB. Take the picks. Maybe some GM will fall in love.

we got a 1st for Branch, who had never broken 100 receptions or 1000 yds receiving

and yet

we can't get a 1st for Asante, who led the NFL in INTs last season?

Cousins,

Some of you have skewed perceptions.

I realize that it makes no sense that the Pats got a 1st rounder for Branch and I think they can't get one for Samuel.

Samuel is probably looking for Bly money and I don't argue he might be worth it. Worse yet, if he is looking at Clement money, the amount would dwarf what Branch got paid. Branch got 39 million over 6 years. Clement got 80 million over 8 years. Bly money is worth it, but Clement money isn't.

What I am trying to say and this is just an opinion is that what team wants to give up a first round pick AND drop nearly 10 mil a year on a guy? Add to that, the guy hasn't even played a down or attending a practice for your team and had one great season.

Injury prone? Slightly.

Product of the system? Not really.

Benefit from the system? Yes.

You have to ask yourself, do the Patriots have leverage in trading him?

I have to say no. He is threatening to sit out the season in an attempt to get a trade or get a contract. He will need a contract upon being traded and what team is going to want to hammer out a contract prior to the draft? Even after the draft? Front offices are dealing with an extremely busy time and I think if you were going to trade him, the best time would had been at the beginning of free agency when teams have wide eyes and big wallets.

This is what might happen: Three teams will be interested in him. None will offer very much because they know that the problem in on the Pats shoulders. Not to mention, they didn't get their corner in free agency or a trade yet so they have already planned on getting one in the draft. Speculation will fly and in the end, no first round pick will switch hands.

I want a first rounder, but I don't see it happening. The Chargers will get a first rounder for Michael Turner before the Pats get one for Samuel. Talk about making no sense at all. That is AJ Smith for you.

I realize that it makes no sense that the Pats got a 1st rounder for Branch and I think they can't get one for Samuel.

Samuel is probably looking for Bly money and I don't argue he might be worth it. Worse yet, if he is looking at Clement money, the amount would dwarf what Branch got paid. Branch got 39 million over 6 years. Clement got 80 million over 8 years. Bly money is worth it, but Clement money isn't.

What I am trying to say and this is just an opinion is that what team wants to give up a first round pick AND drop nearly 10 mil a year on a guy? Add to that, the guy hasn't even played a down or attending a practice for your team and had one great season.

Injury prone? Slightly.

Product of the system? Not really.

Benefit from the system? Yes.

You have to ask yourself, do the Patriots have leverage in trading him?

I have to say no. He is threatening to sit out the season in an attempt to get a trade or get a contract. He will need a contract upon being traded and what team is going to want to hammer out a contract prior to the draft? Even after the draft? Front offices are dealing with an extremely busy time and I think if you were going to trade him, the best time would had been at the beginning of free agency when teams have wide eyes and big wallets.

This is what might happen: Three teams will be interested in him. None will offer very much because they know that the problem in on the Pats shoulders. Not to mention, they didn't get their corner in free agency or a trade yet so they have already planned on getting one in the draft. Speculation will fly and in the end, no first round pick will switch hands.

I want a first rounder, but I don't see it happening. The Chargers will get a first rounder for Michael Turner before the Pats get one for Samuel. Talk about making no sense at all. That is AJ Smith for you.

Did you follow the Dre Bly story or what?

The New Orleans Saints who are looking for a CB
in the draft were trying to get Bly from Denver.

This means they would pay Bly his contract+ send a draft choice to the Broncos

Conclusion:In a heartbeat,N.O.would give first round choice(#27) to the Patriots AND pay Asante
Bly's current contract.

The kicker is the Patriots would want MORE than just the #27 for Asante.

Did you follow the Dre Bly story or what?

The New Orleans Saints who are looking for a CB
in the draft were trying to get Bly from Denver.

This means they would pay Bly his contract+ send a draft choice to the Broncos

Conclusion:In a heartbeat,N.O.would give first round choice(#27) to the Patriots AND pay Asante
Bly's current contract.

The kicker is the Patriots would want MORE than just the #27 for Asante.

I think a low #1 is fair for Asante... there are a lot of people on this board who hugely overvalue Pats players ("Cassel for a #2! Britt for a fourth!") and there's maybe a tendency to not want to sound like too much of a homer when speculating about these trades. But the fact is that Asante Samuel is a top-tier corner and top corners are very valuable. After quarterbacks and tackles, the hardest positions to fill are at the corners. Asante would help any team much more than any rookie corner coming into the league next year, ergo he's worth a #1 -- I'd say worth anything from a #12-13 pick on down.

Normally you'd have to say you'd want the Pats to hold on to Samuel, but another way of looking at it is that the Pats are in a rare position to let a guy like this go. He's overvalued right now -- we all know Asante played a little above his head last year -- and the Pats are good enough that they could survive losing him. And if you can't sign him now, it may make sense to cash him in and get his replacement in the draft. Personally I'd rather spend the big money on Wilfork and Warren, and then maybe turn Wilson back into a corner. Although who knows -- maybe Miguel knows, how many more big deals can we even afford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back