PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Romeo gets fired ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
... well, I'll let you complete the rest of that question. :)

Peter King thinks it's a near-lock that he will. Robert Griffin III has Giants scrambling for answers in Week 13 - Peter King - SI.com

Forced fumbles aside, I'm not persuaded by how the defense has played. Bringing in Romeo would probably mean betting on older guys -- Romeo and Pepper -- over Matt Patricia, who would likely move on. Question, however:

At this point, how good a DC would Romeo be?

Maybe he can come back as a special assistant like McD last year

I wish he was our DC now but that wont happen because Patricia is here.:rolleyes:

Correct your thread title, please. It's not "if", but ... :D

... well, I'll let you complete the rest of that question. :)

Peter King thinks it's a near-lock that he will. Robert Griffin III�has Giants scrambling for answers in Week 13 - Peter King - SI.com

Forced fumbles aside, I'm not persuaded by how the defense has played. Bringing in Romeo would probably mean betting on older guys -- Romeo and Pepper -- over Matt Patricia, who would likely move on. Question, however:

At this point, how good a DC would Romeo be?
Asking if Romeo gets fired is like wondering if the sun will rise tomorrow...

Romeo has a great football mind, at his age he won't get another head coaching gig. If he want to continue to coach you find a role for him DC or not.

I personally hope they stick with Patricia. He has a degree in nuclear physics or something like that and has a bright future. There is such a thing as rookie coaches, not just players. Again, BB is looking at the long term and grooming a brilliant young man.

I personally hope they stick with Patricia. He has a degree in nuclear physics or something like that and has a bright future. There is such a thing as rookie coaches, not just players. Again, BB is looking at the long term and grooming a brilliant young man.

I think BB will.

I've said here for months that Romeo could end up here as a special assistant for the playoffs. He could assume that role, contribute to a ring and then still move on permanently to a gig of his own in college or as a DC. Could even accept a NFL DC position to take effect after the SB is done. Or he could simply retire as a geezer with lots of money and do consulting gigs if he's bored.

Daniel-Bryan.jpg

I see no reason Romeo would be back in New England unless he's willing to accept something below DC. Belichick has hand-trained Patricia to be the DC, and I see no reason anything would change there. If you fire him, then you lose out on one of the most intelligent coaches in the NFL, and you can't ask a guy to be demoted so a new guy can come in to be the coordinator.

I think the most realistic scenario that involves Romeo coming back would be Pepper Johnson being hired elsewhere, Graham moving from the DL back to LBs, and Romeo coming in as the DL coach, where most of his pre-coordinating experience is. I don't think that's overly realistic, mainly because I'm sure Crennel can find work as a DC as opposed to a position coach, but I think that's more likely than Crennel being the DC for the Pats.

The other issue is ego.

Apparently Romeo has a large one, has taken 2 head coaching gigs and not fared well. He may not be self aware enough to admt that he topped out as a DC. Would he be comfortable with a lesser role????

I have read here BB and he had their fair share of blowouts. Also, BB did not pick him up the last time he was available.

On a side note....I don't follow Notre Dame (or any college football for that matter), but they sure have done well in the absence of one Charlie Weiss.

Last edited:

How does having a nuclear physics degree qualify one to coach football?

What has Patricia shown that would indicate he has a future in football coaching?

I'm far less concerned whether Patricia eventually gets it and becomes a good coach than if we can win a few more Lombardis before TFB hangs up his cleats.

BRING BACK THE RAC!

A couple of reasons why he would come back

1. his relationship with BB
2. BB has clearly "assisted" Patricia the past few games with in game adjustments. We've seen it, and read about it from Bedard
3. ITs not mentioned much but McDaniels and Romeo are close (I think McDaniels is here to take over in the next 5 years)
4. Romeo would know this is his last stop and could stay another 10 + years.. His track record of head coaching isn't good and he wouldn't be lookign for another position

reasons why he wouldn't

1. Kraft doesn't pay well to the coordinators (Ty Law and Brown have made mention of this in questions with local Media)
2. BB might feel bringing in Romeo might not only damage Patricia confidence but other young coaches..
3. I might be wrong and BB might retire in 3-4 years with Brady and McDaniels isn't the successor.> So Romeo feels it would be short lived
4. Expectations might be to high and unrealistic with his return..

I said this earlier, i hope its a repeat of McDaniels.. Patricia clearly isn't in the same league as Romeo or BB.. He's been made out by the media and patriots news guys that he's smart.. Great he's smart.. Smart always doesn't mean you are good at your job

How does having a nuclear physics degree qualify one to coach football?
When you have no football acumen - it doesn't. But what about when an Einsteinian brain relates to Xs and Os and has a fire in his belly?

What about when a guy named Bill makes the hire after having a while to evaluate him?

And who here doesn't think that Bill isn't deeply involved with the defense anyway? As far as I'm concerned the DC in Foxboro is like an office manager, not an executive. Let's not confuse the issue about who makes the big decisions and has major input to the game plans.

I feel very strongly that McD will be the successor.

There isn't a way in hell Saban/Kelly will wait the 5+ years BB will want to retire. They're moving up before then.

And btw, Patricia's degree is actually in aeronautical engineering, more commonly known as rocket science.

Ive moved on from this notion. If the defense is doing well going into the post season how do you justify a demotion? Besides, the only player RAC has any familiararity with is the rookie Vince Wilfork. A lot has changed in New England since he left as well the passing game in the NFL. Who is to say he would be improvement over MP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes