PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Reese leaves and Caserio coaches, who's the de facto GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Reese go to Seattle, where he does not have the ability to pick the coach and has to share personnel decisions with a coach that someone else hired?

Is that situation so much better than working with BB?

Doesn't Reese & Carroll have a prior coaching relationship, or am I thinking of 2 other dudes?

We're losing a lot of our organizational staff here. We've had lots of turnover over the last few years and it's continuing. Is this the patriots being raided by other teams or is there another, more ominous issue here? There have been numerous stories about how underpaid our coaches and scouts are compared to other teams and the stinginess of the patriots towards player contract negotiations probably translates even moreso to negotiations with assistant coaches (which don't get much scrutiny in the press for that matter). Is the patriots organization just not a pleasant place to work anymore, with clashing personalities and a harsh culture? Are our coaches and assistants looking to leave the patriots, and will we have issues recruiting coaches? We promote from within, but this will be a lot of promotion of young, unknown, inexperienced people if we don't hire some real people who know our system...

Call Pat Kirwin, he sings the praises of Bill. He could give Bill another eye in the draft, with Bill having final say and Pat handling the contract end of it

Charlie Casserly :biggrin2:

Doesn't Reese & Carroll have a prior coaching relationship, or am I thinking of 2 other dudes?

Reese was DC in MN and Carroll coached the DBs.

What is with all the new posters with less than 10 posts claiming that the Patriots don't pay players??!!

Hello! There's a salary cap in the NFL. You can only pay up to the cap!!

What is with all the new posters with less than 10 posts claiming that the Patriots don't pay players??!!

Hello! There's a salary cap in the NFL. You can only pay up to the cap!!

I'm mostly a lurker, joined to post a few thougths years ago, continued lurking after.

Did the pats actually spend all the way up to it the past few years? Maybe I'm less informed than I thought. I don't really mind the fact that the patriots are thrifty when it comes to free agency and the draft, especially since they have been historically smart about it. And I like that they're trying to get younger. I was just bringing up the fact that perhaps with so much turnover year after year, particularly in the front office / assistant coaching area, it says more about the patriots' organization as a whole rather than about those who are leaving.

I'm not as comfortable with the majority thought on the board being "wow, we're so good, everyone wants our staff!!" or "good riddance, let's let these jokers ruin someone else's team; we're so much better off with some guy who has never done this before!"

I'm mostly a lurker, joined to post a few thougths years ago, continued lurking after.

Did the pats actually spend all the way up to it the past few years? Maybe I'm less informed than I thought. I don't really mind the fact that the patriots are thrifty when it comes to free agency and the draft, especially since they have been historically smart about it. And I like that they're trying to get younger. I was just bringing up the fact that perhaps with so much turnover year after year, particularly in the front office / assistant coaching area, it says more about the patriots' organization as a whole rather than about those who are leaving.

I'm not as comfortable with the majority thought on the board being "wow, we're so good, everyone wants our staff!!" or "good riddance, let's let these jokers ruin someone else's team; we're so much better off with some guy who has never done this before!"

Yes, they do spend to the cap. Typically they come to about $1 million of it, though this year I believe they are to about $3 million of it (though we still haven't closed out the 2009-2010 year and there may be incentives met that take them closer).

It's hard to speculate about paying coaches and administrators when those coaches and administrators don't exist. We only know that the people who leave New England (Crennel, Weis, Pioli, Dimitroff, Mangini, etc.) leave for promotions, so you can easily assume that they are making more money elsewhere, but anyone who leaves for a position with more responsibility is going to make more money.

Per Mike Reiss, Floyd Reese took the Seattle job. Now there's no one to negotiate contracts, and we have Vince Wilfork and Brady coming up.

The team needs to hire people in a hurry in this area.

This team needs a new Ass't General Manager ASAP.

UPDATE: I went back to the page and now there's a quote from Pete Carroll that wasn't there before. Apparently, the decision comes Monday.

Last edited:
I suspect that we will wait a couple of more weeks and assess all the options, including those from teams who will lose in the next 10 days.

So, Floyd Reese appears all but gone, and Caserio is rumored for OC. Even if Caserio stays in the front office, won't we be short some brainpower in that area? I know BB has final say, but don't we need someone with credentials/experience working personnel and contracts? Who's next in line? Anyone know?

A GM who is on the same page as BB is important, maybe someone with a different perspective. Their talent evaluations have only been about average. Got to love the Pats, never a dull moment.

Sidebar - Both kids are napping, why the heck couldn't their be a game on right now!

We're losing a lot of our organizational staff here. We've had lots of turnover over the last few years and it's continuing. Is this the patriots being raided by other teams or is there another, more ominous issue here? There have been numerous stories about how underpaid our coaches and scouts are compared to other teams and the stinginess of the patriots towards player contract negotiations probably translates even moreso to negotiations with assistant coaches (which don't get much scrutiny in the press for that matter). Is the patriots organization just not a pleasant place to work anymore, with clashing personalities and a harsh culture? Are our coaches and assistants looking to leave the patriots, and will we have issues recruiting coaches? We promote from within, but this will be a lot of promotion of young, unknown, inexperienced people if we don't hire some real people who know our system...

It had been reported that during the Good Old Days (2001-04), Romeo & Charlie were both underpaid compared to other top DCs & OCs, or even to average DCs & OCs. And ever since the exodus of assistants began, the number of replacements has never equaled the number of defections.

So what we had then were experienced, successful assistants who were relatively underpaid (and felt under-appreciated?) and who were replaced by inexperienced, untested sycophants, who were likely paid even less than their predecessors. But hey, it still beat what they would've received from their Division 3 gig. Not only that, but there were now fewer of these guys around, meaning that those who remained were given even more responsibility for which they were unqualified.

It is also not a stretch to imagine that the same de-evolution has occured in the scouting department. We have heard about those who have left (Lional Vital, Matt Russell, etc.), but what about those who have joined?

There is little doubt that Bill & the Krafts have not devoted as many resources on assistant coaches & scouts as other teams have, or as they should. When taking into account the fact that there is no salary cap over coaches, scouts & executives, there is simply no excuse for this. None.

If Bill's "system" is so damn hard to grasp that he has failed to acquire potentially valuable assistants & scouts - not to mention all those players - then perhaps it's time for ownership to re-evaluate the "system" itself, including its architect.

A GM who is on the same page as BB is important, maybe someone with a different perspective. Their talent evaluations have only been about average. Got to love the Pats, never a dull moment.

Sidebar - Both kids are napping, why the heck couldn't their be a game on right now!

How about a Mike Lombardi? (sorry if this was mentioned here before, didnt read the whole thread)

How about a Mike Lombardi? (sorry if this was mentioned here before, didnt read the whole thread)

Mike Lombardi, Phil Savage, and George Kokinis would all be solid options. Especially if Nick Caserio moves to OC, as has been rumored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back