PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Randy is claimed on waivers,.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallfamebrady

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I have some items to think about if Randy gets claimed off of waivers. I am basing these comments based on previous observations and previous comments from different people. The questions include:

1. What happens if Randy decides not to report to any team who claims Randy via waivers? Will he be fined and what can the acquiring team do?

2. Does acquiring team get the third round draft choice the Patriots supposedly would have received in 2012 if Randy goes elsewhere via free agency? I recall some people stating that we eventually gave Randy away for nothing since we would have received a 2012 pick if he left at the end of the season.

3. Can the acquiring team franchise Randy at the end of the season? I recall the Vikings had a deal to let him go to FA at the end of the season for showing up.

4. How are the above items impacted if Randy clears waivers?

My crystal ball: Randy is going to hold out if another team claims him. First, Randy can get more money this season if he clears waivers. Second, I think Randy wants to get back to New England. I am unsure if the Pats would take him back but you never know.

2. Does acquiring team get the third round draft choice the Patriots supposedly would have received in 2012 if Randy goes elsewhere via free agency? I recall some people stating that we eventually gave Randy away for nothing since we would have received a 2012 pick if he left at the end of the season.
The best the Patriots could have gotten, based on Randy's years in the league (see Faneca rule) is a 5th round pick in 2012.

I have some items to think about if Randy gets claimed off of waivers. I am basing these comments based on previous observations and previous comments from different people. The questions include:

1. What happens if Randy decides not to report to any team who claims Randy via waivers? Will he be fined and what can the acquiring team do?

3. Can the acquiring team franchise Randy at the end of the season? I recall the Vikings had a deal to let him go to FA at the end of the season for showing up.

My crystal ball: Randy is going to hold out if another team claims him. First, Randy can get more money this season if he clears waivers. Second, I think Randy wants to get back to New England. I am unsure if the Pats would take him back but you never know.
I think Moss gets substaintially LESS money if no one claims him.
I ca't imagine why the Patriots would want to bring him back after deciding to get rid of him.

There are conflicting reports on this. I've seen that Moss has to report. But I've also seen that Moss can refuse to report. So I'm not sure.

The Pats traded Moss to Minnesota for a 2011 3rd round pick. They also sent a 7th round pick to Minnesota. Had the Pats not traded Moss and he'd played out his contract, then the Pats would be entitled to a compensatory pick in 2012 if he signed with another team and the Pats did not sign any free agents who would off-set the Moss signing.

Good question. Supposedly, the Vikings agreed to not Franchise Moss. If they modified his contract to say as much, then my guess is that they would NOT be able to Franchise him.

If Randy clears waivers, he can sign with any team of his choosing, including the Patriots. Because he's a vested veteran, Minnesota would still be on the hook for the remaining 3.5 million or so on his current contract. Moss could then get MORE money on a new contract.

Any compensatory picks would be determined by when Randy becomes a free agent and whether or not he moved on from whatever team he was on.

As for franchising him, that would depend on the wording in his new contract.

The best the Patriots could have gotten, based on Randy's years in the league (see Faneca rule) is a 5th round pick in 2012.

Where do you get that from? If you are talking compensatory picks, then the highest pick is a 3rd rounder depending on the contract that is signed and whether or not there are any off-setting signings.

The NFL Network is saying that the Vikings have to pay his contract if another team fails to claim him. If he goes through waivers, I assume another team will have to offer him money to sign which would mean he gets more money this year.

Long term, this hurts is ability to get a big contract.

The NFL Network is saying that the Vikings have to pay his contract if another team fails to claim him. If he goes through waivers, I assume another team will have to offer him money to sign which would mean he gets more money this year.

Long term, this hurts is ability to get a big contract.

Not true.

Randy could sign a contract for the rest of this year, put up big numbers and sign a big contract next year with a new team.

how long is the waiver period?

Not true.

Randy could sign a contract for the rest of this year, put up big numbers and sign a big contract next year with a new team.

True although I am unsure if a team would do this given the drama associated with Randy.

Where do you get that from? If you are talking compensatory picks, then the highest pick is a 3rd rounder depending on the contract that is signed and whether or not there are any off-setting signings.

Moss has 10 accrued season. The most you can get is a 5th.

Also, even if he could gt a 3rd, Moss was never going to get a 2011 contract that warranted a 3rd rd comp pick. He's just not that good anymore. So it's a moot point.

1. If he doesn't report, he is violation of his contract and would most likely be put on reserve/did not report list or waived again.
2. Patriots get the third round pick from Minn, no other teams or picks involved. The 2012 3rd round pick comp people assumed the Pats would get would more than likely have been a fifth. If he clears waivers , he will be a free agent.
3. Any team signing/claiming him on waivers would be able to franchise him under the current rules/CBA.
4. If he clears waivers, he would be an unrestricted free agent.

None of this should affect the Pats getting the Vikings 2011 3rd rounder.

Not true.

How do you expect him to put up big numbers? He failed to do that in 2 stops, do you expect him to go to the California Fountain of Youths expansion franchise?

Moss has 10 accrued season. The most you can get is a 5th.

Also, even if he could gt a 3rd, Moss was never going to get a 2011 contract that warranted a 3rd rd comp pick. He's just not that good anymore. So it's a moot point.

It would have only taken a contract of more than 6 mill for it to be a 3rd round contract.

Also, it helps if you post your information on the max compensation allowed for a player with 10 or more accrued seasons.

AdamJT13: The explanation for the Faneca pick

And I just found it myself.

How do you expect him to put up big numbers? He failed to do that in 2 stops, do you expect him to go to the California Fountain of Youths expansion franchise?

You just love being the major contrarian, don't you Andy?

What part of "COULD" don't you understand? That doesn't mean I EXPECT him to.

Andy, it helps if you read what is said. Not what you think is said.

Oh, come on, what Andy said is at least a little bit funny.

Moss is a veteran who has been waived.He doesn't have to go to any team that puts in a waiver claim.

If he doesn't play for the team that claims him,the Vikings are still on the hook for the remainder of his 2010 contract.Moss would then be an unresticted FA at the end of the year and free to sign with any team in 2011.

My take on this is that the Vikings owners pulled the trigger,here,based on Moss's pc,yesterday.
I don't think Childress was the trigger,just the messenger.

You offered it as a possibility. Thats what I was responding to.
If I posted that Deion Branch will demand a renegotiation if he catches 100 passes this year, wouldn't I be implying it is a reasonable possiblity?

Moss is a veteran who has been waived.He doesn't have to go to any team that puts in a waiver claim.

If he doesn't play for the team that claims him,the Vikings are still on the hook for the remainder of his 2010 contract.Moss would then be an unresticted FA at the end of the year and free to sign with any team in 2011.

My take on this is that the Vikings owners pulled the trigger,here,based on Moss's pc,yesterday.
Moss has made himself unwanted 3 times before, why does everyone think this is an out of the blue decision by the Vikings and not another case of Moss acting like a d-bag and giving the team no choice but to get rid of him or watch him go through the motions?

Yes he does, All players must go through waivers after the trading deadline.

NFLN is saying it is definitely Childress who made the move as he has control over the roster and management is not thrilled with the move.

You offered it as a possibility. Thats what I was responding to.
If I posted that Deion Branch will demand a renegotiation if he catches 100 passes this year, wouldn't I be implying it is a reasonable possiblity?

No. You responded as if it was an expectation of mine. Otherwise, you'd have chosen different wording.

I offered it as a possibility. Not a probability or expectation.

As for your example, no. The way you have it written, you are implying it's fact. Not that it's a reasonable possibility.

For it to be a reasonable possibility, you'd have phrase it like this:
"Deion Branch could demand to renegotiate his contract if he catches 100 passes this year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots