PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If PSU gets the Death Penalty What Happens to O'Brien?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I overreacted yesterday (what else is new?) when I called for the total eradication of the Penn St. football program. I'm in agreement with Supafly. There has to be a stretch of time where football is not THE priority on this campus. Five years makes sense to me, after which a completely new organizational structure is created to run and oversee the football program. Rip out all vestiges of the Paterno legacy and then move forward.

It doesn't seem to me that people are coming out of the woodwork saying Paterno's emphasis on academics was a farce. It seems to me rather that people are upset at his defenders bringing up that indisputable fact again and again, as if it makes up for covering up child rape.

Having the athletes take real classes, go to class, get solid grades, and graduate at a good rate is all great. We all value that aspect of the program. It is, however, very much beside the point and in comparison seems laughably insignificant.

What I'm getting and hearing from a lot of people is that it was all a farce in total.

Plane flying over State College today:

u9mFj.AuSt.42.jpg

Update: Ohio man flying over Penn State won't name who ordered banner demanding removal of Joe Paterno statue | News | CentreDaily.com

I overreacted yesterday (what else is new?) when I called for the total eradication of the Penn St. football program. I'm in agreement with Supafly. There has to be a stretch of time where football is not THE priority on this campus. Five years makes sense to me, after which a completely new organizational structure is created to run and oversee the football program. Rip out all vestiges of the Paterno legacy and then move forward.

Seriously, I've spent time on that campus. Football is not the priority. I keep wondering what the basis is for such a statement. And this comes from someone who thinks it should get the death penalty.

New organizational structure? Like what?

Let's face it. Because of the laws in this country, there will not be totally open and transparent processes for investigating people accused of abuse. Because of worker's rights, there will always be oversight committees looking into this. If you're talking about the football coach holding too much power, I fail to see how they'll hold a $5 million a year coach accountable when he has 5 years or more on his contract.

Coaches derive their power from alumni and politicians, and at PSU--if anything--we've just seen the politicians grab more power than they've ever had before BECAUSE of the scandal. Things have the potential of becoming worse there, not better. The NCAA is certainly not a good organization to oversee such an overhaul, since it's a PR org that has made things worse for academics and athletics recently.

Probably the only hope for improvement is greater faculty involvement.

Seriously, I've spent time on that campus. Football is not the priority. I keep wondering what the basis is for such a statement. And this comes from someone who thinks it should get the death penalty.

New organizational structure? Like what?

Let's face it. Because of the laws in this country, there will not be totally open and transparent processes for investigating people accused of abuse. Because of worker's rights, there will always be oversight committees looking into this. If you're talking about the football coach holding too much power, I fail to see how they'll hold a $5 million a year coach accountable when he has 5 years or more on his contract.

Coaches derive their power from alumni and politicians, and at PSU--if anything--we've just seen the politicians grab more power than they've ever had before BECAUSE of the scandal. Things have the potential of becoming worse there, not better. The NCAA is certainly not a good organization to oversee such an overhaul, since it's a PR org that has made things worse for academics and athletics recently.

Probably the only hope for improvement is greater faculty involvement.

well, forgive me for having an opinion. I'm looking from the OUTSIDE in, and from where I sit it sure DOES look like football is THE major sports priority on the Penn St campus.Perhaps I'm just an outlier, although from the all the media and concerned citizen response in the outlets here around Boston, it's running near 100% anti-Penn St. football.

By new organizational structure I mean precisely that, a structure with ZERO ties to Paterno or anyone else involved in the current program. If that is an impossibility, then nothing constructive will come out of anything the current Penn St. regime does.

As far as the last paragraph you wrote, you FAIL to see how anything can/should be done about child raping??I don't have the ability to respond to a position like that.

well, forgive me for having an opinion. I'm looking from the OUTSIDE in, and from where I sit it sure DOES look like football is THE major sports priority on the Penn St campus.Perhaps I'm just an outlier, although from the all the media and concerned citizen response in the outlets here around Boston, it's running near 100% anti-Penn St. football.

By new organizational structure I mean precisely that, a structure with ZERO ties to Paterno or anyone else involved in the current program. If that is an impossibility, then nothing constructive will come out of anything the current Penn St. regime does.

As far as the last paragraph you wrote, you FAIL to see how anything can/should be done about child raping??I don't have the ability to respond to a position like that.

Yes, football is by far and away the main sports priority. I was reacting to your statement: THE PRIORITY on campus. Which I thought included academics.

When you wrote organizational structure, I thought you meant actual structures, not just people.

Obviously, O'Brien was brought in at PSU football with his own coaching hires. Athletic director is gone, so are his assistants. The President and Vice President are gone. So, they've already cleaned house people wise. The only thing left to do is reorganize the structure.

But that's where I become pessimistic. Why? Given what's happened at other schools with the BOTs, and the fact that the BOT is entirely in place at PSU, I am not optimistic at all, and I think the potential for a worse restructure is high.

This might have been answered already but what happens to the current players and new recruits in the case of a DP? They just lose these years unless they can transfer?

We're in agreement Tyrone. I'm usually in the one mistake shouldn't define a person if they've lived a life of value and social contribution, however, this is heinous and failed to protect our most valuable asset; our children.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing with the "one mistake" idiots.

On Monday not firing him and calling the cops is one mistake. On Tuesday not firing him and calling the cops makes two mistakes, etc. How many days of mistakes are we talking? It wasn't one. It is a couple thousand.

On Monday not firing him and calling the cops is one mistake. On Tuesday not firing him and calling the cops makes two mistakes, etc. How many days of mistakes are we talking? It wasn't one. It is a couple thousand.

Uh, it should be not calling the cops. He was retired BEFORE this happened.

JoePa is dead, Sandusky will spend the rest of his life behind bars. The others involved in the cover-up can be brought to justice and hopefully pay the price their actions deserve.

Why punish an institution for the crimes of individuals? I have never understood this approach. In fact the DP could potentially harm the futures of many young men who are currently playing football at Penn State.

Last edited:
JoePa is dead, Sandusky will spend the rest of his life behind bars. The others involved in the cover-up can be brought to justice and hopefully pay the price their actions deserve.

Why punish an institution for the crimes of individuals? I have never understood this approach. In fact the DP could potentially harm the futures of many young men who are currently playing football at Penn State.

Have you seen the BoT guys they're electing now? The "We Are Penn State" garbage and the constant cries about "fake media outrage" and JoePa being a victim? How about how the town, including elementary school teachers treated victims? The Freeh report reaffirms my disdaing for this creepy place; it has an insitutational problem with how it prioritizes football and i think that is what has to change.

This is Penn State's attitude right now:

New Penn State-Elected Leader: Anthony Lubrano - YouTube

They just elected this guy.

Every single scandal ever that has seen institutional-wide repercussions has involved "the actions of individuals" but the punishments make sure that the situation that allowed the individuals to do what they did no longer remain.

Last edited:
He becomes the offensive coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs and Brian Daboll will have to eat it as something else.

Daboll and Josh McDaniels were both graduate assistants almost the same year at Michigan State with Nick Saban in the late 1990s. I don't think Daboll will be as good a coordinator as McDaniels.

This might have been answered already but what happens to the current players and new recruits in the case of a DP?

They can immediately transfer without sitting out a year.

I agree (for the purpose of ease I lumped the whole scandal together).

The article from Jay Bilas is the best I have read on the topic:

NCAA better sanction Penn State administrators - ESPN

The problem I have with the NCAA is that often they punish people who have done nothing wrong the perps are long gone from the program.

They never touch the administrators or ban the coaches after the fact. In this case the AD Univ President and anybody else involved int he coverup should be banned from working at a University again. IOW If someone wanted to hire the PSU President who was in charge during this crime THAT Univ should get the death penalt.

If thye started cracking the University Presidents who preside over these programs then things would change.

BTW, listening to EEI right now and Shepard is going off on PSU big time...seems that the board of trustees have come out and vehemently declared that Joe Paterno's statue will stay where it is ...they say a lifetime of achievement should not be trashed because of a lapse in judgement...I really have to wonder what the hell is in the water over there in Pennsylvania

Apparently when it comes to the great state of Pennsylvania, sexual abuse is condoned apparently.
Whether we are talking about PSU or the Pitt Steelers.

I doubt they will get the death penalty. Instead, I think they should have their entire revenue from the football program from 1998-2011 revoked and be placed on a 5 year probation, one year bowl ban, and 2-5 year revenue stripped in additional to the other fine.

We won't see a tv ban bc it hurts the big 10 than it hurts Penn St. Big tv revenue is shared equally.

Also, tear down that freaking statue.

I doubt they will get the death penalty. Instead, I think they should have their entire revenue from the football program from 1998-2011 revoked and be placed on a 5 year probation, one year bowl ban, and 2-5 year revenue stripped in additional to the other fine.

We won't see a tv ban bc it hurts the big 10 than it hurts Penn St. Big tv revenue is shared equally.

Also, tear down that freaking statue.
By revoked you mean donated in full to organisations helping children affected by sexual assaults?

Penn State and everyone involved in this abomination must be severely punished. Some things in life there is and should be a zero tolerance policy. Child molestation is a zero tolerance issue in my eyes.

Last edited:
By revoked you mean donated in full to organisations helping children affected by sexual assaults?

Penn State and everyone involved in this abomination must be severely punished. Some things in life there is and should be a zero tolerance policy. Child molestation is a zero tolerance issue in my eyes.

I hope if the NCAA revokes the revenue, they do donate that money ( and we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars, last year alone, I believe PSU made around 50m in revenue from football) to organisations for victims of child sexual abuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back