PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Patten gets released...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagg

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Read this on ESPN in a section on possible June 1 cap casualties, do you think we might consider him? Obviously for less cash but..

WR David Patten, Washington: The nine-year veteran signed a five-year, $13 million deal with the Redskins last spring that included a $3.5 million signing bonus. But Patten played in just nine games and posted only 22 receptions for 217 yards, with two touchdowns. The acquisitions of veterans Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El this spring means Patten is probably no better than a No. 4 or No. 5 receiver. And his 2006 base salary of $1.085 million is a little pricey for that role.

Dagg said:
Read this on ESPN in a section on possible June 1 cap casualties, do you think we might consider him? Obviously for less cash but..

WR David Patten, Washington: The nine-year veteran signed a five-year, $13 million deal with the Redskins last spring that included a $3.5 million signing bonus. But Patten played in just nine games and posted only 22 receptions for 217 yards, with two touchdowns. The acquisitions of veterans Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El this spring means Patten is probably no better than a No. 4 or No. 5 receiver. And his 2006 base salary of $1.085 million is a little pricey for that role.

You know what?

I know a lot of people say he's old, washed up, etc.

But all I remember him doing here was playing well and we KNOW he loves this system. It earned him 3.5 million from the Redskions he never would have seen had he not played under Belichick/Weis and with Brady.

I'd like to see them give him a short term deal (2 years with a low signing bonus) and let him hammer it out in camp.

Wide reciever is an area of need, for sure.

We've got Branch & Brown, who are proven entities and Chad Jackson, who has a strong chance of becoming a top reciever some day.

After that, who's better than Patten?

Reche Caldwell? Bethel Johnson? Bam Childress?

I'd rather have Patten on the field before those guys!

ADPF

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
You know what?

I know a lot of people say he's old, washed up, etc.

But all I remember him doing here was playing well and we KNOW he loves this system. It earned him 3.5 million from the Redskions he never would have seen had he not played under Belichick/Weis and with Brady.

I'd like to see them give him a short term deal (2 years with a low signing bonus) and let him hammer it out in camp.

Wide reciever is an area of need, for sure.

We've got Branch & Brown, who are proven entities and Chad Jackson, who has a strong chance of becoming a top reciever some day.

After that, who's better than Patten?

Reche Caldwell? Bethel Johnson? Bam Childress?

I'd rather have Patten on the field before those guys!

ADPF

NO WAY would I want Patten on the field before Caldwell, Johnson or Childress.

As for knowing the system, it caused him to lead the team in drops in 2004 to the point they all but stopped throwing to him in the play-offs.

I would love to have Patten back for depth, but, realistically, he'd be the 4th or 5th receiver here in New England as well.

I would love to see David Patten back in a patriots uniform. I think he would be a very good reciever to challenge the others in training camp. A 1 or 2 year deal will allow Chad Jackson to develop.

DaBruinz said:

As for knowing the system, it caused him to lead the team in drops in 2004 to the point they all but stopped throwing to him in the play-offs.

I would love to have Patten back for depth, but, realistically, he'd be the 4th or 5th receiver here in New England as well.

concurrence from the mushroom

I'll take him over Bethel. But that would be it, I think he would make the squad as a 5th.

Right now (without Patten) I think (Hope) it will end up like this:

1. Branch (a reach on my part :D )
2A.Caldwell
2B.Jackson
4. Brown
5. Bam Bam

I would feel comfortable with that. Looking at that I am not sure Patten would make the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think he was good enough to make the team his last year here. I'd be OK with a one year, vet minimum, no SB deal. However, as has been stated many times, we'd be looking a our #5 WR, generally a special teams player, or a weekly inactive. I'd much rather fill that slot with a young guy with upside than a fringe receiver on the downslope.

yes..why not??? At least we can have another "Patton is not making the team" threads...and??? He may actually make the team and contribute!!!

Flying Fungi said:
concurrence from the mushroom

I agree with the sage judgement of my mycological friend. :)

Patten

I know Patten has made some big catches for this organization but after watching him play for a couple of years, it is obvious that he was a limited player who was only successful on a few routes. He was good for a go pattern, a quick throw when the DB was playing off him, and the little route in back of the endzone. Can anyone else remember a catch that wasn't off one of those three routes.

I would rather have a young hungry guy like Bam who at least has an upside. He's young and not as talented as other receivers but that kid is a sparkplug!

After some thought I think as insurance we might. I mean Caldwell is made of glass, Troy Brown is almost on Soical Security, Jackson is a rook, Bethel is a never been, I think he would provide some much needed security.

While ESPN may think $1.085M is a pricey salary for a 4th or 5th WR, cutting him after June 1 would result in a dead cap hit of $2.8M or $1.4M per year in 2006 and 2007 while keeping him as insurance this year would cost them $1.785M. I doubt they cut him to save $385K. If he is cut it will likely be to save a roster spot and not occur until after the pre season and the final cuts.

He had a lousy season with the 'Skins capped by an injury in week 9. That happens to a lot of guys in DC. Yet his WR production was similar to Caldwells and far in excess of Bethels in 2005. Bam has yet to see an NFL field and couldn't crack what turned out to be a very weak receiving corps last season. In 2004 in fewer touches he was more productive than David Givens in 2004-2005, so if he were cut I am sure BB would be keeping an eye on him. He's a player who would have something to prove and who could step in here at veteran minimum a week before the season starts knowing the system and the QB and be in a position to shore up the receiving corps. And if he were brought back it would likely be because BB felt one or more of the three above was not likely to contribute any more than he very well could. Bethel has the return game to fall back on but he may be challenged for that limited role as well.

This time last year NEM and others were predicting an all world WR corps that was going to set the NFL on it's ear and no room not to mention need for a Patten or any other easily replaceable WR. How'd that pan out? This year we have Branch (if his head is in it and not on his contract), a rookie with intrigueing first round potential, and a bunch of guys who have yet to make it here or elsewhere competing for the other 3 slots. And we haven't even factored in injuries yet. We can only hope we don't need Patten come September whether he is available or not.

MoLewisrocks said:
Bam has yet to see an NFL field

:D

1744900.jpg

Patriots' Bam Childress is tackled by Sam Madison, 29, and Reggie Howard, 25 of the Dolphins. The Miami Dolphins beat the New England Patriots 28-36 at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts on January 1, 2006.
Miami Dolphins vs New England Patriots - January 1, 2006
Gillette Stadium
Foxboro, Massachusetts United States
January 1, 2006
Photo by Michael Valeri/WireImage.com

No Thanks

After his alligator arms in the SB, I am done with David Patten. He did a nice job for the moat part while he was here. Wouldn't have won the 1st SB without him, but it's time to move on.

MoLewisrocks said:
Bam has yet to see an NFL field and couldn't crack what turned out to be a very weak receiving corps last season.

Wow. I'll bet two-thirds of the NFL would have loved to have the Patriots "very weak" receiving corps.

We're holding against Bam, an undrafted rookie, the fact that he couldn't beat out Branch, Givens, Troy, Dwight, and Andre Davis, with something like 37 years experience between them, most as a #1 or #2 WR?

My friend, you have some high expectations for rookies in our system.

This time last year NEM and others were predicting an all world WR corps that was going to set the NFL on it's ear and no room not to mention need for a Patten or any other easily replaceable WR. How'd that pan out?

Rather well, didn't it? We made the playoffs and won a WC game. Brady led the league in passing yards and finished second in TDs. Branch and Givens were very productive. Troy had his best year of the last several. Givens and Dwight did well enough to get significant contract offers from other teams.

What exactly were you expecting from our WR corps last year? What am I missing? Who was Patten going to replace and improve the performance of? Davis? Okay, maybe. But how many times did he step on the field? Patten would likely have had the same role, run a fly pattern deep and see what happens.

I really have a hard time believing our offense missed Patten last year.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
I really have a hard time believing our offense missed Patten last year.

Yeah, but Washington's did with him on IR. :D

DaBruinz said:

I respect that we disagree, but allow me to raise a few points on your post.

1. What has Bethel Johnson done to win your confidence? Save for one great catch last year, he is closer to being out of football than to cracking the Pats' 53-man roster.

2. Reche Caldwell was, by all accounts, a bust in San Diego. I'm not saying he won't improve here, in this system, but for now, he is an unknown, where Patten is a known entity.

3. Bam Childress? He is this team's Tony Gaiter. Lots of "college flash" - very little "pro cash"!

4. Meanwhile, David Patten consistently caught the deep ball from Brady.

Drops? All recievers have drops. Deion Branch dropped a sure 6 vs. Jacksonville in last year's wild card round - does this mean Deion sucks? No, of course not.

Patten seems to be a little underappreciated here for his contributions to two Super Bowl winners!

ADPF

There is simply no reason whatever not to have Patten at camp. And there are several reasons to invite him: potential injuries, a Caldwell disappointment, a slow Jackson learning curve...Is Patten perfect? No. But he has proven he can be a valuable member of the team.

Flying Fungi said:

My apologies to Bam. He appeared, just not in a game Belichick felt counted. His 3 catches for 32 yards in a pre post season pre-seasonesque game just 48 hours after being elevated from the PS to serve as an expendible body isn't enough to merit his turning up with an NFL.com page on a simple Google search, but it ranks him 232 among NFL receivers according to Sportsline. Who needs David Patten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes