PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Pats had #1 pick in draft, who would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClayborne

Rookie
Reaction score
Reggie Bush is overrated, BB/SP would know that...I've got two words for you regarding Bush: Desmond Howard. Bush should be a great punt returner and third-down back. Good luck with that HOU.

The pats would take Mario Williams in a heartbeat, and in past years (pre-Watson) would have taken Vernon Davis 1st overall.

No, they'd take Bush. I've got two words for you: Gale Sayers.

JJDChE said:
Tony Dorsett (per LetsGoPats36)

We would trade down with the Jets for #4, #29 and #71 and select Hawk at #4 and Antonio Cromartie at #29 (since we already have one legitimate first-rounder, we have the time to develop this one). I suppose we could select Mike Hass or someone similar at #71.

drpatriot said:
We would trade down with the Jets for #4, #29 and #71 and select Hawk at #4 and Antonio Cromartie at #29 (since we already have one legitimate first-rounder, we have the time to develop this one). I suppose we could select Mike Hass or someone similar at #71.

Who would they take if no one would trade out with them?

RayClayborne said:
Reggie Bush is overrated, BB/SP would know that...I've got two words for you regarding Bush: Desmond Howard. Bush should be a great punt returner and third-down back. Good luck with that HOU.

Desmond Howard and Reggie Bush are on different planes of being. Reggie Bush will be an every down back in the league and will probably have a hall of fame career if the Texans ever turn it around.

Well, Belichick's MO when he gets a pick that high is to take the rare specimens, the tiny percentage of guys that don't come around often, usually the big and fast defensive linemen. What George Young used to call the Planet Theory guys. The 310 pound run stuffers that are also great athletes. The 250 pound 6'8" tight ends with soft hands that run like antelopes and can't be covered by linebackers or safeties, but will steamroll you in the running game. The mammoth left tackle with nimble feet and a nasty demeanor that excells at run and pass blocking.

Unfortunately, none of those guys are here, unless he thinks Mario Williams can play 3-4 DE. So he'd probably attempt to trade down to draft Hawk or Vernon Davis. Forced to choose at #1, I'd say he'd probably tab Hawk.

I don't want to delve again into the Reggie Bush is overrated spoken word festival, but Desmond Howard is an apt comparison. Sure, now you say Bush was better, but at the time Desmond was going to be the next Jerry Rice. Raghib Ismael is another good comparison, of a guy that was quicker and faster than 95% of the NCAA, but was suddenly lined up against people as athletic as he was. Reggie Bush will be an excellent third down back and returner. He'll be an asset to the Texans. He isn't worthy of the #1 pick. Probably around #15 or so. The Hall of Fame talk is humerous. If Bush played 25 years ago, yes, he might be the next Gale Sayers. In today's game, Gale Sayers wouldn't be Gale Sayers. The guys I would most compare Bush to in the recent past would be Brian Mitchell and David Palmer.

Hawk's the surest thing in this draft and obviously fills a big need for the Pats.

Patritos would trade down without a doubt or take Mario Williams

dryheat44 said:
Well, Belichick's MO when he gets a pick that high is to take the rare specimens, the tiny percentage of guys that don't come around often, usually the big and fast defensive linemen. What George Young used to call the Planet Theory guys. The 310 pound run stuffers that are also great athletes. The 250 pound 6'8" tight ends with soft hands that run like antelopes and can't be covered by linebackers or safeties, but will steamroll you in the running game. The mammoth left tackle with nimble feet and a nasty demeanor that excells at run and pass blocking.

Unfortunately, none of those guys are here, unless he thinks Mario Williams can play 3-4 DE. So he'd probably attempt to trade down to draft Hawk or Vernon Davis. Forced to choose at #1, I'd say he'd probably tab Hawk.

I don't want to delve again into the Reggie Bush is overrated spoken word festival, but Desmond Howard is an apt comparison. Sure, now you say Bush was better, but at the time Desmond was going to be the next Jerry Rice. Raghib Ismael is another good comparison, of a guy that was quicker and faster than 95% of the NCAA, but was suddenly lined up against people as athletic as he was. Reggie Bush will be an excellent third down back and returner. He'll be an asset to the Texans. He isn't worthy of the #1 pick. Probably around #15 or so. The Hall of Fame talk is humerous. If Bush played 25 years ago, yes, he might be the next Gale Sayers. In today's game, Gale Sayers wouldn't be Gale Sayers. The guys I would most compare Bush to in the recent past would be Brian Mitchell and David Palmer.

Reggie Bush = Warrick Dunn

MrTibbs said:
Reggie Bush = Warrick Dunn

That's a good comparison. That's probably Bush's upside, but Dunn runs the ball A LOT tougher between the tackles than Bush does, or at least has before.

I'm sorry, but...

JJDChE said:

That's much more likely to be an insult to Gale Sayers (there's only ever been one of him, man!) than my comparison is to be an insult to Reggie Bush. He's got about three-four years of successful receiving development to be a Marshall Faulk, and that's the upper limit of his potential...although that is a high upper limit and worthy of a #1, but I don't think he would make it.

Mario Williams is one playbook in the right system away from greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back