PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Patriots get in, they’ll be tough to take out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots offense works well. Yes, Moss drops too many passes and the line gives up too many pressures and sacks, but overall they are good. They're not as good on offense as their numbers show, though, as Strength of Schedule clearly indicates.

The Patriots bring discipline, coaching, desire and a team concept to every game better than probably every other team in the NFL. It has served them well and been a significant reason why they are in the playoff hunt in (another) year that they've been decimated by significant injuries.

The Patriots weakness is (pass) defense which the original post didn't even mention. Practically every team in the NFL (except a down-trodden Cardinals team in the cold and snow) can easily complete passes on this defense with the combination of a mediocre pass rush, a secondary that plays to avoid the big mistake (and then makes the mistakes anyway) and linebackers that may or may not effectively cover the short routes. Is there a playoff defense you feel less confident of a stop should the opponents have a 3rd and 15? The loss against the Jets in giving up that 1st down in overtime unfortunately wasn't an aberration, it's been the theme of the Patriots defense all year long.

I've been hoping for a defensive resurgance all year. It hasn't really happened. (The Cardinals game means nothing.) Sure, injuries have played a role but excuses are for losers. The question is, what can we do with the players that are on the field this week?

The Patriots have a decent shot in any game they play because their offense is good enough to give them that shot. Likewise, the opponents have a reasonable shot in any game they play because their pass defense can be a sieve.

The games against the Steelers, Colts and the second game against the Jets unfortunately tell most of the story of this year's Patriots. Close, but not quite good enough. Can they overcome their weaknesses? Yes, but I wouldn't count on it. However, as anyone who lived through 2001 or 2007 seasons knows, you can't count out any team that has heart, desire and coaching.

Last edited:
everything everyone is saying about the pats pass d is what everyone was saying about the colts run d and D in general in 06 we all know how that ended

no, the pats are defentely the best team in the PO if they make em, w/ only Carolina as being a close call

every other team the pats can handle, if we make the PO, i have more trust in this team winning the SB then i had in last year's team

How is 'only Carolina' a close call when the Giants beat the Panthers last weekend? There's at least two teams in the NFC that the Patriots would be heavy underdogs against (in my own mind, not on the betting sheet), and I don't think they can beat the Colts or Titans, either. Any other game would be a toss-up, but the Ravens are on a huge roll right now too.

The fact that the Patriots smacked around one of the worst teams in football two weeks ago and then an NFC West team with nothing to play for in cold snow last week apparently has people thinking this team is the best in the league.

I don't think this team has the personnel or depth (on defense especially) to win the Super Bowl.

I would say the Chargers offense would be a threat to the Patriots' "weak" pass defense.

Chargers wouldn't be able to run on the Pats, so they'd be playing the pass all day. It might be a tough matchup, but I'd be pretty confident going into that one. Too bad the Pats probably won't make the playoffs, since they're not lucky enough to play in the suckfest that is the AFC West :p

I sure hope we run up the score against the Bills! Not only are we playing for a playoff spot, but it's not too far fetched that if Cassel somehow gets 5-6 TD's against the Bills and Peyton doesn't play much in the second half of the Colts game, that we end the regular season with Welker #1 in receptions, Moss #1 in TD's again, and our QB #1 in TD's again! (If not, #2 in TD's is also very likely.)

Peyton isn't leading the NFL in TD passes though. Rivers is (32 I believe). There's no way Cassel could take the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back