PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Patrick Willis came out a year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
for whatever reason, and he was there for us at the 7 spot...

would the pats have taken him? personally i believe that he is going to be the best new lb in the game...he will be the new measuring stone...

but 49's dont play a 3-4, would patrick have been any good in the 3-4 in terms of size/ strentgh and shedding block abilities? also with dealing with o linemen?

would the pats have taken him? personally i believe that he is going to be the best new lb in the game...he will be the new measuring stone...

but 49's dont play a 3-4, would patrick have been any good in the 3-4 in terms of size/ strentgh and shedding block abilities? also with dealing with o linemen?

Probably depends on how he would have graded out against Mayo. Willis was taken what 11th last year? My guess is theyre very similar players. But I havent seen enough of Mayo to make a worthy comparison. With few exceptions, players usually make the system. Not the other way around. Great players like Willis can play in any scheme. He's got the build, strength and speed to play inside in a 3-4 without question. But whether or not he sheds well is a key element. But in short, if we would have been in the 7 spot last year, considering our needs with Willis on the board, we'd probably have jumped on him.

The 49ers do play a 3-4.

Yes... Willis would have been worthy of the #7 overall pick. Heck he might have not gotten past the Jets at #6 if he came out this year. But we've got to live in the present. We took Mayo, so let's wish him to become the best player that he can be. Comparing him to the DROY is not going to help matters! That's a HIGH standard.

I would rather have Patrick Willis. Like most people on this board, I wanted Willis last year. So if I had to chose between Willis or Mayo, I chose Willis.

I would rather have Patrick Willis. Like most people on this board, I wanted Willis last year. So if I had to chose between Willis or Mayo, I chose Willis.

Well it helps that we already confirmed what we thought about Willis with an outstanding year under his belt. So that's kind of unfair comparison. Mayo hasn't proved anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back