PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If only Givens had caught the balll..3Peat

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only Troy Brown had played in Super Bowl XXXI.

If only Lin Dawson hadn't blown his knee out in Super Bowl XX

If only Stanely Morgan had caught that deflected pass from Eason in Super Bowl XX.

If only Ray Hamilton hadn't hit Ken Stabler in the divisionals in '76.

How many peats is that? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about a minute in for those interested. It was a stupid drop but there was a DB right there who may well have made the tackle.

Oh well, it's too late now.

Bailey was coming in so fast that Givens would have juked him to his (Givens') left and walked in for the TD. Argh!!!! I think the half the reason Givens dropped the ball was because he could see the rest of the play so clearly in front of him.

What ifs like this leads only to further frustration and depression.

Whatever about Givens and his dumb drop.... I still get goosbumps watching Ben Watson make that play.

Murphys95 said:
If only Troy Brown had played in Super Bowl XXXI.

If only Lin Dawson hadn't blown his knee out in Super Bowl XX

If only Stanely Morgan had caught that deflected pass from Eason in Super Bowl XX.

If only Ray Hamilton hadn't hit Ken Stabler in the divisionals in '76.

How many peats is that? :)
None......

...we're up 13-10 in the 3rd quarter of a divisional playoff game on the road, hardly a secure lead especially when Denver was due for a good drive.

Givens' drop just was another un-clutch (or non-clutch) moment from the offense/special teams that night. I don't think we were going to win playing like that.

zippo59 said:
What ifs like this leads only to further frustration and depression.
Okay, look at it this way then. Doubt we'd be drooling over the potential Maroney and Jackson (etc.) are providing now if he had caught it (our draft order woulda been altered) and all the other space/time continuum stuff had occurred.:eek:

But cerealy folks, I hate this kind of second guessing. I'd rather take the high road and say Congrats Broncs on that win, they're gonna get their butts kicked when they come to the Razor this fall, and what is, is. I hate it when the woulda/coulda/shoulda losers from other teams come on and say "if only one play", their team woulda beat the Pats in the last 3 Super Bowls.

Last edited:
Bad drop by Givens which led to the following...

...a terrible throw by Tom Brady, his worst pass ever.

...a terrible blitz pickup by Tom Ashworth that caused Brady's bad toss.

Overall, Brady gets the ultimate blame. He should have known better than to force a pass like that. Just get rid of the ball and the score becomes 10-9 rather than 17-6. :mad:

Denver O was doing nothing, Plummer would have screwed up if they were behind, like he did against Pitt. Anyway it is what it is. Time to move on, I think the Pats will win it all this year.

No way the Patriots (or anyone else) were gonna beat the Bears that year.

Brfore the horrendous call on Hamilton by Dreith, there was an even worse non call when Villapiano held R Francis preventing a 3rd down conversion that would have let the Pats run out the clock. Villapiano grabbed both of Francis's arms and pinned them to his side, the ball hit him in the chest and bounced away...no call. Smith misses the FG and then on to Drieth's call.

Brady-To-Branch said:
Bad drop by Givens which led to the following...

...a terrible throw by Tom Brady, his worst pass ever.

...a terrible blitz pickup by Tom Ashworth that caused Brady's bad toss.

Overall, Brady gets the ultimate blame. He should have known better than to force a pass like that. Just get rid of the ball and the score becomes 10-9 rather than 17-6. :mad:

Brady's "pass" against Miami still is the biggest stinker of his career, even if we did end up winning the SB. This throw was forced but Champ did make a good play on the ball. The REAL killer on that play was our inability to stop him from going (almost) the distance. I think Faulk blew a sure tackle.

Even at 17-6, we still had a chance, but when Vinatieri missed a TRULY clutch field goal, I knew we were done. We may have been a better team, but we weren't the hungrier team.

richpats said:
Brady's "pass" against Miami still is the biggest stinker of his career, even if we did end up winning the SB. This throw was forced but Champ did make a good play on the ball. The REAL killer on that play was our inability to stop him from going (almost) the distance. I think Faulk blew a sure tackle.

Even at 17-6, we still had a chance, but when Vinatieri missed a TRULY clutch field goal, I knew we were done. We may have been a better team, but we weren't the hungrier team.

When you make 5 TOs in a playoff game on the road, you will deservedly lose every time.

I said that that was Brady's worst pass because of the cost, plus what was at stake.

Brady-To-Branch said:
When you make 5 TOs in a playoff game on the road, you will deservedly lose every time.

I said that that was Brady's worst pass because of the cost, plus what was at stake.

Agreed on the first point.

As for the 2nd, you can't lose something that you didn't have. We didn't have the lead, and we wouldn't of had it by kicking a field goal. We were in a divisional playoff game on the road, it was going to be a tough game to win (especially IN Denver).

As for cost and what's at stake....
If you recall Brady's INT in SB38 against the Panthers, it was an unpressured lob to a Carolina defender that didn't have to make a great play to pull it down. I was completely shocked when I saw how lazy a pass it was from Brady. Fortunately he was slow enough to not make much of a return. That's when we were up 5 and driving to lock up the game in the 4th. Next few plays we're down 1 after that long TD. It was another 14-point turnaround that could of cost us a game (and a world championship) we were in good shape to win. Brady did redeem himself on the next couple of drives and that's what we remember most about that game. If he does the same against Denver, we don't think about that Bailey pick as much.

IMO, in terms of cost and what's at stake, that lazy INT was his worst throw. The Miami lob was ridiculous, but it only cost us our dignity for 6 days, and obviously we didn't need the HFA to win the SB ;)

B2B, I get what you're saying but I can't pin a loss like that on one play and one player. It was a system meltdown.

Last edited:
Givens also had a drop in the regular season game against Denver which stopped our final drive as we were preparing to overcome the early large deficit. If he catches that one maybe the playoff game would have been in New England instead.

stcjones said:
Chad Jackson would have caught that ball....and scored....;) :))

He'll catch it in September and Denver will regret not drafting him AND Maroney when they had the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we had only spent Faulk's money on Domanick Davis....

bishbash said:
Okay, look at it this way then. Doubt we'd be drooling over the potential Maroney and Jackson (etc.) are providing now if he had caught it (our draft order woulda been altered) and all the other space/time continuum stuff had occurred.:eek:

But cerealy folks, I hate this kind of second guessing. I'd rather take the high road and say Congrats Broncs on that win, they're gonna get their butts kicked when they come to the Razor this fall, and what is, is. I hate it when the woulda/coulda/shoulda losers from other teams come on and say "if only one play", their team woulda beat the Pats in the last 3 Super Bowls.

i would have loved the pats three peating, but, i'm glad they weren't a part of that travesty last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back