PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If not David Patten...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
do we have any interest in Taylor Jacobs, another former Gator, who might be worth a look? Obviously he remains property of the Redskins, but they can't possibly keep all these guys, and if they're not going to cut Patten, might he be the WR to go?

Yes, I know, Jacobs is a "Spurrier" Gator (like Caldwell), and so perhaps we'd be pushing our luck, but IIRC, Belichick and Co. were looking at Jacobs and selected Bethel precisely ONE pick after Jacobs went to Washington.

Thoughts?

Why can't the Redskins go with 6 WR?

Moss
Lloyd
Randle El
Patten
Thrash
Jacobs

With that, only old friend Jimmy Farris and a handful of other scrubs would be cut.

Good work ethic..route runner...OK..good..fine..I wonder how many are similar..not seeing he is special..but then again..was Givens all that special??
They just worj hard and catch the ball in traffic.

I imagine we'll sign a guy or two but I think Belichick is comfortable with the four clear ones we have + Childress. We've been through the draft and most of free agency and Jackson was the only WR we seem to have gone after. If more competition was really needed I think we'd have seen some WR taken in on the second day of the draft.

pats1 said:
Why can't the Redskins go with 6 WR?

Moss
Lloyd
Randle El
Patten
Thrash
Jacobs

With that, only old friend Jimmy Farris and a handful of other scrubs would be cut.

Not a bad point. I guess you're right, they don't necessarily have to cut Jacobs. I think there is absolutely NO way, however, that Jacobs AND Thrash stay if they're telling the truth about not cutting Patten. That is way, way WAY too much $$$ to devote to WR, even for the Redskins.

patsox23 said:
Yes, I know, Jacobs is a "Spurrier" Gator (like Caldwell), and so perhaps we'd be pushing our luck, but IIRC, Belichick and Co. were looking at Jacobs and selected Bethel precisely ONE pick after Jacobs went to Washington.

Thoughts?

Were they really looking at Jacobs? The reason I ask is when flipping through Patriot Reign today I noticed that Holley mentions that when the Bears passed on Wilson, dropping him into BB's lap, it gave the Patriots a shot at the two guys that BB really wanted in the second round, Geno and Bethel.

That could be revisionist history on Holley's part or it could be that in hindsight, with Jacobs being gone, BJ was the top guy remaining on their draft board.

Could be I'm basing this on whichever poster's theory re: position grouping - Jacobs going off the board being a "trigger" for selecting Bethel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes