PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Neal is out for any time, would we move Kaczur to RG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
In the scenario in which Neal is out for any length of time AND/OR we draft a tackle with #7 (Clady or Long if he drops), does anyone think we would consider moving Kaczur to guard?

Mainly I'm looking for the simplest way to upgrade the O-Line and build for the future, which to me means perhaps drafting a tackle to play RT in the meanwhile and eventual replacement for Light at LT. In this scenario, moving Kaczur to guard might might some sense, if he would be a success there. Based on his draft scouting reports, I know he was advertised as an OG/OT.

Last edited:
Re: If Neal is out for any time, would we move Kazcur to RG?

Anyone? Man, I guess people would seriously rather talk about spygate? :D

Re: If Neal is out for any time, would we move Kazcur to RG?

Works for me, I've mentioned it on the draft board before. Not sure how everyone feels about Kaczur at G but when he was drafted the experts were split on whether he should be a G or a T.

I would think Kazcur would stay right where he is no need to make one position weaker to strengthen another. I hope the rumors are not true and Neal will be fine. I understand he left the SB with what seemed like a significant injury but as far as I know there is only speculation that it is bad enough that he wont be there.

I think Hochstein would be the obvious choice to fill the position. That or if you don't have faith in that than I would expect to see a guard brought in.

I think Hochstein would be the obvious choice to fill the position. That or if you don't have faith in that than I would expect to see a guard brought in.

Hochstein is fine filling in here or there - well, check that, Hochstein is fine filling in here or there unless we're playing the Giants...argh. But I'm thinking of how to upgrade two positions (RT & RG). If we're going to upgrade the OL, it's going to be on the right.

I, too, hope Neal isn't out for any length of time, but we should have a contingency plan, and as I said, I think we need a better contigency plan than Hochstein.

I think it would be a good idea. Tackle/guard is a lot like shortstop and second base; you can move one way but not the other. An average tackle will usually be an above-average guard, but even top guards will struggle at tackle.

I don't think so. He's short enough to move inside, but I've never really seen much mobility from Kaczur pulling or blocking up the field, roles that Neal excels at.

Course, he did do servicably well as a rookie left tackle for a bit, maybe he's just bulked-up and is muscle-bound since 2005. It's hard to say for sure he'd be better than Hochstein/Yates in there.

If Neal really is badly hurt and we don't like our backups, I think its more likely we'll draft guard and keep Kaczur where he's at. He is still a young player career-wise, perhaps he'll improve.

My hope is that Neal is sound and we draft a stud RT in rounds 1 or 2. I think that has the best chance of improving our offense next year and beyond.

The knock on Kaczur used to be bending at the knees if i'm not mistaken. They thought they could retrain him because he never got properly coached and he had changed position a few times. Still looks like a stiff to me ... I'd rather see O'Callahan get the reps if we don't draft anyone ... at least he has a bit more upside.

In a more perfect world we grab Otah whose lousy combine was a fluke ...
Otah is a real manimal ... remember that bust the manimal LOL!!
Wasn't it the packers that took that steroid freak?
mandarich_bulk.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, Neal is really hurt. He blew up his knee, and we saw that Hochstien isnt a viable answer anymore. It would be a great idea to trade down and get Albert in the first rd...because he can play both G/T for Al Groh. In fact, if we were to reach for any player in the first round it wouldnt surprise me to see it was him. All this talk about Tackles....they need long arms and dont have to move. Guards need to play well in traffic and be more mobile to pull....There is NO WAY a guy like the Pitt T can do that. We need a guy to play/backup both postions.

Guys, Neal is really hurt. He blew up his knee.

How do you know it wasnt something that will be fine with a whole offseason? or even a few weeks?

I know it looked bad but, saying he blew up his knee like it was some theisman type thing is a little overboard.

IMO he will be fine, otherwise I think it would have been a huge need. Still a long offseason and if they bring in a bunch of guards as we move on maybe I will chage my tune.

Last edited:
If Neal is unavailable for the start of TC, then I can see Kaczur taking first-team reps at RG. As BF previously noted, some scouts projected him as a pro OG instead of OT. O'Callahan and Britt would then compete for the starting RT spot.

I can also see one of our 4 top-100 picks being used on an OLman. If Gholston is gone, and nobody is willing to give us value for #7, then selecting the best OLman available right then is not out of the question.

Hochstein, and probably Yates, is not the answer at RG. Dan Connolly is intriguing, but if he hasn't done anything by now...

My hope is that Neal is sound and we draft a stud RT in rounds 1 or 2. I think that has the best chance of improving our offense next year and beyond.

As the resident OL breakdown analyst, any thoughts on OL prospects in the draft?

I can also see one of our 4 top-100 picks being used on an OLman. If Gholston is gone, and nobody is willing to give us value for #7, then selecting the best OLman available right then is not out of the question.

Concur, if no Gholson at 7, then Clady. Well, unless they can work a feasible trade down, ie Dallas for instance. Then I'd want Groves and Albert, or DRC/Cason, Avril....any of that bunch of players that fit for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes