PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If McFadden is available at #7 would you trade Maroney for an additional 1st rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If McFadden is available at #7 would you trade Maroney for an additional 1st rd.

If McFadden is available then I am willing to bet trade offers will start coming in. We will be in a very good position to move around the draft and pick up some more draft picks.

I am not sure why Dallas would be a partner. I understand that we would like them to be a partner because they have 2 1st round picks but who really thinks they would trade them? I for one do not. They have a RB that just made the probowl and is a monster. Marion Barber is better than McFadden so why would they throw away two solid picks for a backup RB? I do not get it. I also realize that J Jones has said some positive things about McFadden but that does not equate to a scarificfe of 2 picks.

I think teams like the Carolina, Detriot, and Arizona would be more likely because they have a need and could jump up a few spots with a managable trade

Re: If McFadden is available at #7 would you trade Maroney for an additional 1st rd.

I've already said it before, maybe i'm wrong, but i doubt it.....:)

I do not think that McFadden is the #1 running back on the Pats board.
Judging by what Mayock and others have said about his weak legs and going down immediately after any contact, I have a hard time believing the pats would be all over this guy.

To me it seems like Stewart would be their number one back. (or would have been, i don't know much about the "injury" stuff going around)

And after you account for all this, there's the huge possibility that we could trade down and get a sweet deal if McFadden falls. Whether it be Jerry Jones or some other lunatic.

Last edited:

I agree, the Pats HAD to abandon the run because they didn't have a reliable running game and haven't since 2004. But if a team goes into the playoffs with no confidence or commitment in their running game, should they be expected to win any championships?

Forget McFadden, we need a healthy Sammy Morris next year. He IS the key to another Lombardi!

I hope we continue to abandon the run and Maroney gains 122 every game. Thats my kind of abandonment.

I hope we continue to abandon the run and Maroney gains 122 every game. Thats my kind of abandonment.

So you've forgotten about SB42 too?

This thread is crazy. If you look at Football Outsiders for this past season, Maroney really is on the verge of entering the elite group of running backs. Some more carries and a fully healthy season may bring him Pro Bowl status. He was one of the most effective backs in the league, McFadden hasn't proven anything, and there are an awful lot of question marks about him.

Last edited:

Do you like this trade possibility even though its a longshot? or do you think we should stay as it is? -

Personally,I would stay pat (no pun intended) and bypass McFadden if he was still on the board at #7 - Maroney should do O.K. in a mix with Morris again.

Um, longshot is right. Let's assume it is a great idea and look at what needs to happen.

1) McFadden drops and no one knows why.
2) I assume Gholston is gone.
3) Sam Morris is seen as a good stop gap when McFadden hits the rookie wall.
4) a team will trade their #1 for Maroney, who you think is easily replaceable.

The REAL question here is Tom Brady didn't post 5 touchdowns in the superbowl. He's obviously overrated and prone to choking. What happens if Matt Ryan (BC product, and BB likes smart players!) is there at #7? Then, we could trade Brady to the Ravens for the 8th pick too! :rocker:

Great Reply!

worthless post.

To answer the question , I would say yes, at least most FO's would do this, as you can then upgrade the RB position AND get a blue chip corner or other defensive player in a later round. The problem is that McFadden would either be impossible to sign or kill the salary cap if he did sign. Not that any other player taken 7th overall is going to come cheap, but the marquee RB of the draft would be asking for a lot more than lets say the second DL, or second OL.

Wrong. What position have they targeted, LB? Say you get pick #28. I'm guessing the LB's might be a tad thinner at #28 than #7. Is the upgrade from Maroney to McFadden greater than the downgrade in whatever position you wanted? (It may be, but I'll trust guys there to do the scouting of other team's draft choices.)

As you pointed out, a RB usually demands more money than a LB. Cap considerations are there. I'm sure it can be worked around, but it exists.

Then comes the quick shopping of Maroney. I'd be reluctant to do this without deal in hand. What if you draft McFadden then teams know you need to move Maroney and low ball you? Maroney for a first and I'll listen. Maroney for a third gets me to stop listening.

If McFadden is available then I am willing to bet trade offers will start coming in. We will be in a very good position to move around the draft and pick up some more draft picks.

I am not sure why Dallas would be a partner. I understand that we would like them to be a partner because they have 2 1st round picks but who really thinks they would trade them? I for one do not. They have a RB that just made the probowl and is a monster. Marion Barber is better than McFadden so why would they throw away two solid picks for a backup RB? I do not get it. I also realize that J Jones has said some positive things about McFadden but that does not equate to a scarificfe of 2 picks.

I think teams like the Carolina, Detriot, and Arizona would be more likely because they have a need and could jump up a few spots with a managable trade

By reports Jones is high on McFadden.

First of all, I can't believe McFadden will be there at #7. Won't the Jets grab him? Second, the answer is "no." The devil you know is better than the one you don't. I think Maroney is just starting to blossom, and to get rid of him to start all over with a new kid who could (who knows?) turn out to be a bust is not a smart idea. We don't need that much help on offense. We need some stud defensive players. I will be shocked (and somewhat dismayed although, what do I know?) if the Pats go "O" in the first round at No. 7 rather than "D".

Absolutely. I like Maroney but if we can get McFadden I wouldn't think twice about dealing Maroney for another 1st round pick.

I'm sure I'll regret saying this after the Jets end up drafting McFadden.

Last edited:

If McFadden's available at #7, we call Jerry Jones.

Exactly! McFadden is way over rated.

Not to mention that you're going to have problems finding a trading partner in this draft, as there are several first-round running backs available. Would you rather have 5 or 6 years of Mendenhall or Stewart or 3 years of Maroney?

Not to mention that you're going to have problems finding a trading partner in this draft, as there are several first-round running backs available. Would you rather have 5 or 6 years of Mendenhall or Stewart or 3 years of Maroney?

I was just about to post the same thing! The whole concept behind this seems self-contradictory. For the Pats to want to make the trade, they'd have to believe that Maroney hasn't lived up to his draft status and can't be a high-level feature back in the NFL. And for the other team to do this, they'd have to believe that Maroney is such a top-flight back that 3 years of him is worth more than 5 years of another rookie in an RB-rich draft. :confused:

So you've forgotten about SB42 too?

When you run A LOT in 2 of 3 games, and somewhat less in 1 that is not abandoning the run.

When you run A LOT in 2 of 3 games, and somewhat less in 1 that is not abandoning the run.

Anyone wanna bet that McFadden is not even in the league in 5 years?? I'll give you the over and I'll take the under.

Maroney was among the patriots best contributors in both their wins over the Jags and Chargers in the playoffs, and they wouldn't have won that AFCCG without him. It's a complete moron who doesn't realize this! He was also a big factor down the stretch of the regular season, and had a couple of good games at the beginning of the season, before the groin injury.

Sammy Morris isn't a better RB either. He's more of a power back, but Maroney's overall game is better, and he's still developing.

For some reason I think people forget Koolaid just turned 23 in February, and has shown signs of developing as a blocker. Also, in some of the games where he didn't have great rushing totals, he was a big factor receiving the ball.

I do think the Patriots could draft a RB, but he would either be competing with Morris for playing time, or developing behind Faulk as the future 3rd down back.

McFadden does have chicken legs, and he's not planning on building them up either. Really, I question if he'll be the star RB some people are predicting. I would take Jonathan Stewart over McFadden if I was NE, but I wouldn't take a RB in the first round, either.

Last edited:

Can we please wait for Maroney, Morris, and Faulk to complete their first full season together before we suggest changes?

Now if you want to upgrade our RB depth after the trio -- let's talk.

Why trade Maroney for a 1st rd pick when we can trade him for a 2nd? No reason to be greedy.

worthless post.

Woaah-ho! Looks like someone's been havin a little toughguy powder on their protein shakes in the morning! Did you d-cleat people in highschool, uncle rico? Remember that wideout from Marblehead tryin to run the in through your hook-to flat?! D-CLEAAAATED! (insert most-muscular pose here). Coulda played for Bowdoin, but coach wouldn't put you in at wedgebuster? I feel for ya, ya little hard hitter you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye