PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mayo's Out, What Will We Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Assuming Mayo's going to miss some time, what will the Pats do?

Run 4-3 exclusively with Guyton in the middle?
Move AD to the middle with Woods and TBC outside in the 4-3?
Call Junior?
Call Tedy?
Something else?

QB12

bump for discussion and any new info.

QB12

I would call Tedy... but I'm no Bellichick!

My opinion would be to move AD to the middle and put guyton and TBC on the outsides. I know they play guyton at MLB but he was terrible at running with the RB out of the backfield. I feel that Adalius can play the RB alot better out of the backfield and not trail him by 2 yards as he catches and runs for 10-15 yds everytime he catches the ball. Guyton has good speed but I don't think his vision is there yet and doesn't read that well. Perfect example of Ad and his great vision was the first play of the game by Buffalo where he rushed off the left side and edwards tried to through a curl to the Wr and Ad stopped took 2 steps inside jumped and batted the ball down. We need someone with better instincts in the middle of the field if it won't be Mayo.

Move Thomas inside, keep Guyton in the outside in the 4-3... i dont think he is bih enough to stuff the run

Then try and get something out of Woods or TBC... but really you need mayo back

Like all the posts before...we make do with what we got and hope for a quick return. A long absence by May means 40 points required of the offense, IMO. This D is like a tuna sangmich- it needs Mayo.

Sometimes we worry too much, it has been said the BB has a plan for everything and prepares for every contingency...

Bench Guyton until he can figure out screen passes and runs up the middle!! He was terrible. Bring back Bruschi? Hire a free agent? I would prefer keeping AD on the outside.

I am pretty sure we will not see Guyton alone there in middle in a 4-3 if we even see him on the field. Maybe he would be OK in a 3-4.

Bench Guyton until he can figure out screen passes and runs up the middle!! He was terrible. Bring back Bruschi? Hire a free agent? I would prefer keeping AD on the outside.

I am pretty sure we will not see Guyton alone there in middle in a 4-3 if we even see him on the field. Maybe he would be OK in a 3-4.

To be honest I would say bench the whole defense if you are basing it off of reading the screens because it looked like the bills could have scored 40 if they ran a screen every play. Like I said in a different post the way we are lining up our defense it is like a 6-1 with the OLB's on the LOS and it puts ALOT of pressure on the MLB to cover the whole LOS for runs. I don't think Guyton played bad but he is inexperienced and was a step behind most plays but that will come with PT so benching him won't make him any better in the future. I love his athleticism and speed so I don't want him getting discouraged because I believe he can be a good player for the pats for years to come.

What will we do? Probably continue to drink beer :eat3: and let BB figure it out

Well the entire Pats defense looked terrible against screens last night. However even with Mayo missing most of the game, it did give up only 17 pts. Remember 1 of those Bills TDs was off a direct INT of Brady.

I think the Pats will find a way and they could move AD inside if need be. Let's just hope its a minor injury, not requiring surgery.

we give up?

no, but really, hopefully if in the WORST case sce nario its a 6 week thing, Seau said he can play 6 games right? LOL

have i missed an announcement on this? last i heard there was no news on the extent of the injury. why are we speculating until we know something, assuming there's no news.

No real news other than he told teammates it wasn't anything serious . . .

QB12

Overall, things would have a bad taste without Mayo! The defense would have to ketchup, and I don't relish that. Well, gotta go. I mustard.

Overall, things would have a bad taste without Mayo! The defense would have to ketchup, and I don't relish that. Well, gotta go. I mustard.

Genius (10chars)

As in this game, we would move Thomas inside since we ZERO DEPTH at ILB (except for Alexander) and expect the very strong OLB group to step up and make up for the loss of Thomas outside.

It looked to me like initially Guyton replaced Mayo as the green-dot guy and then they switched to Thomas. One of my things I noticed this off season was that a lot of people were looking at Crables leg mass, but Guyton seemed to bulk up well in his legs. Hes still not great at getting off blocks, but he plays a bit stonger
Ninkovich played a decent amount after Thomas moved inside, hes pretty good for his first couple months of learning the D, I just dont think he has amazing athletic ability.
Maybe BB just puts
woods-guyton-thomas-ninkovich/banta-cain in the 3-4 and
woods guyton-thomas in the 4-3,
and doesnt pick another LB

bump after learning Mayo will be out . . .

QB12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back