PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mario Manningham is available in the second round... do you take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Pretty simple question here. Some scouts are projecting Manningham to go in the second round (based on the last mock I've seen some time ago though). If he's available, do you take him? I ask this because some feel that we need someone to stretch the field on the other side of Moss and that he can't be our only deep threat. Manningham is big and fast but I don't feel that we should use a second round pick on a potential deep threat. I believe we should use most of our first day picks on defense with the exception being if McFadden was available at #7.

i think our O is just fine and we need to spend some early picks on the D...CB and LB are were we really need to consentrate this draft

I'm still holding with my belief that the Pats have completely given up on spending premium draft picks on rookie WRs. They're just too hard to project and the team's been burned too often. Besides, Moss/Welker/Gaffney/Jackson/Washington/Aiken is a nifty roster.

No. No I don't.

Pretty simple answer: No.

We had better not waste any of our top-100 picks on a WR. Those should be reserved for LB, DB and maybe OL.

No. We need defense. I can't understand why we'd even use 1 pick on offense on day 1.

No, he is small, and has timed very slow at the combine and at his proday

Whoops. I was under the impression that he was 6'3" and ran a good time at the combine.

NO.

There are better skilled, more athletic receivers who will be available later.

Combine that with greater needs at positions that are more imprtant.

EDIT: MM is 70% Keyshawn Johnson. Capable in all aspects, spectacular at none. Not particularly fast, not particularly skilled, yet very proficient.

KJ got drafted too high, but was a very productive player. Expect about 70% from MM. (at best)

Last edited:
I might be the only person not upset with this, and that's probably only because I'm a Michigan fan.

Realistically...no, we shouldn't take him, it's not practical.

What about Arrington, his teammate, in a later round?

Pretty simple question here. Some scouts are projecting Manningham to go in the second round (based on the last mock I've seen some time ago though). If he's available, do you take him? I ask this because some feel that we need someone to stretch the field on the other side of Moss and that he can't be our only deep threat. Manningham is big and fast but I don't feel that we should use a second round pick on a potential deep threat. I believe we should use most of our first day picks on defense with the exception being if McFadden was available at #7.

Why would they bring in Manningham when they have Chad Jackson?

As for using a pick on Mcfadden, that's even more laughable than drafting Manningham.

I doubt it. I could see them grabbing someone they really like in the 3rd or 4th though. But I'd be shocked if they used such an early pick on a WR.

Shawn Crabel in the third? Okay.

Anything else, no thanks.

Why would they bring in Manningham when they have Chad Jackson?

As for using a pick on Mcfadden, that's even more laughable than drafting Manningham.

You know what's even more laughable than using a pick on McFadden? Your post count. What's the matter? Not much to do... ever? Tell me, Mr. Genius, if McFadden falls into your lap at #7, what prevents you from taking him? And if you say his character issues, I'm going to find you and slap the taste out of your mouth for being so completely ******ed.

EDIT: Oh, and what makes you think that Jackson is the automatic option for #2 receiver or the answer at that? His huge abundance of playing time since we've drafted him? Sounds more like hope that he'll gel than confidence that he's the sure-fire #2 option to me. With almost 10,000 posts (completely riciculous amount), you should be able to comprehend that you should know what you're talking about before opening your mouth.

Last edited:
I would take Adarius Bowman later in the draft, instead. Taking him with that late third rounder seems reasonable to me, but some sites are projecting he falls to the fifth round, and at that point selecting him might be a no brainer. He's at least an upgrade over Washington (at WR), and has good starting potential. Plus, it would be nice to add another WR who can block.

Realistically...no, we shouldn't take him, it's not practical.

What about Arrington, his teammate, in a later round?

Exactly and Arrington has been and continues to be one of my sleeper picks. While Manningham has received most of the fanfare, and rightfully so, all Arrington did every time I've watched Mich was make big, clutch catches. Hell, if the Pats do need another receiver to occasionally stretch the field, I prefer that they brought back Tim Dwight over drafting a WR with a day one pick.

I would take Adarius Bowman later in the draft, instead. Taking him with that late third rounder seems reasonable to me, but some sites are projecting he falls to the fifth round, and at that point selecting him might be a no brainer. He's at least an upgrade over Washington (at WR), and has good starting potential. Plus, it would be nice to add another WR who can block.

Just busted on a marijuana arrest. So in addition to having poor speed and agility, he's apparently not bright enough not to get caught with weed in public. Remember he was booted off North Carolina for a weed-related incident. I'm going to go ahead and say that getting high is more important to him than playing football.

Honestly, even without the recreational drug problem and terrible judgement, this guy has Roshaun Woods/Mike Williams written all over him, regarding his inability to separate at the NFL level. I'm not sure he gets drafted at all, and certainly not before the pick 200.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You know what's even more laughable than using a pick on McFadden? Your post count. What's the matter? Not much to do... ever? Tell me, Mr. Genius, if McFadden falls into your lap at #7, what prevents you from taking him? And if you say his character issues, I'm going to find you and slap the taste out of your mouth for being so completely ******ed.

EDIT: Oh, and what makes you think that Jackson is the automatic option for #2 receiver or the answer at that? His huge abundance of playing time since we've drafted him? Sounds more like hope that he'll gel than confidence that he's the sure-fire #2 option to me. With almost 10,000 posts (completely riciculous amount), you should be able to comprehend that you should know what you're talking about before opening your mouth.

Guess I touched a nerve in the idiot corps here. Especially on that is ignorant enough to resort to friggin post count in ANY sort of argument. Listen dumbarse, I've been around here for several years. And my post count being nearly 10,000 means NOTHING except to idiots like yourself who can't actually form a decent argument.

1) What stops me from taking McFadden is NEED. The Patriots don't NEED him and, honestly, he'd be redundant as he has similar running style to Maroney. The object is to have DIFFERENT running styles with your RBs

2) What also stops me from taking McFadden is the ability to trade down, which the Patriots will be able to do.

3) What ALSO stops me from drafting McFadden is how friggin OVER-RATED he is by the ignorant people of the world. McFadden = Reggie Bush part 2.

4) OH btw, McFadden DOES have character issues. And they would keep the Patriots from drafting him. So, mr. Toughguy STFU and come find me.

4) Jackson is an "automatic option" (meaning he'll compete) for the #3 position (Welker is the number 2 receiver. Do you even follow the Patriots?) is the fact that the Pats traded up for him and spent a 2nd rounder to get him. Also, the fact that his 2nd injury (the ACL) happened in the end of January 2007. With a normal recovery time of 12-18 months, any intelligent person KNEW that Jackson was going to be a non-factor in 2007. Jackson should be ready to go come TC. The Pats aren't going to spend ANOTHER 2nd round pick on a WR when they have guys like Gaffney on the team also. Its a TOTAL waste of a pick.

5) Manningham isn't all that. As others have pointed out to you.

Kontradiction, you really should follow your own advice and keep your ignorant mouth shut.

No wonder you got your arse beat down by EVERYONE in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes