PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Light Re-signs Befor the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If Light re-signs a 3 year deal before the draft, what do think the priority if for drafting an OT?

We would have Light, Vollmer, LeVoir and Maneri. Obviously, we would likely sign a free agent OT as we did last year (Ojinannaka) as an additional backup.

If Light re-signs a 3 year deal before the draft, what do think the priority if for drafting an OT?

We would have Light, Vollmer, LeVoir and Maneri. Obviously, we would likely sign a free agent OT as we did last year (Ojinannaka) as an additional backup.

I thought we might let Light walk and draft a T early. Then Neal retired. Kaczur looks like he's going to be cut. I'm sure it won't be a one year deal. So, if anything it's a developmental tackle. 3rd or 4th round. I don't want to go too early. Might take a G though. Wouldn't have a problem with Pouncey at 28. People are down on him because he might not be able to play C. But, I think he'd be a helluva G even if he can't. Some of the draft sights are touting Jarriel King - T - South Carolina. Would be nice to get him at 90. Have picks 17, 33, 60 and 74 to help the front 7 on defense. I would like to get a wr with one of them. And, use 28 and 90 on OL.

Kaczur -- If he had been cut before the original CBA deadline then I'd assume he was gone. I believe Neal's retirement decision caused NE to rethink Kaczur's situation and that he is going to have a chance to compete for Neal's starter slot at RG.

If a CBA agreement is reached during this extension as some have speculated, and Light is re-signed ... I see no significant impact on NE's draft plans for the O-line. I mocked a G/T and C/G to them in the draft for the current draft game, I don't see Castonzo or Solder really carrying must have appeal for Scar and believe he'd rather go into the season with Vollmer and LeVoir at Tackle than draft one of those two too high. And I believe BB would prefer to take advantage of any red chip slider and not target a premier OL when weighed against NE's success with less sexy prospects.

If there's a curve coming along the O-line, consider Mankins to Tackle, especially if Scar has a draft prospect or two in mind to compete for the Guard slots. It's still my preference to leave Vollmer at RT, he's growing into the job and if Kaczur is retained and wins the RG slot that side of the line will gel nicely. Mankins kicked out to LT with Connolly or a rookie starting inside doesn't scare me, but I expect Light to be back and Mankins' situation to be sorted out shortly after a CBA agreement is reached.

Not sure how this would be possible. He is the player rep, he might have a backdoor agreement in principal but if he hits the open market I wouldnt recommend paying even a home town discount for him. We have Vollmer and enough picks to get a new RT in the draft, say Carimi. Use his and Mankins' money to go get the pass rusher available!

I never understood why it would make any sense to release Kaczur until at least after the draft.

Kaczur -- If he had been cut before the original CBA deadline then I'd assume he was gone. I believe Neal's retirement decision caused NE to rethink Kaczur's situation and that he is going to have a chance to compete for Neal's starter slot at RG.

If a CBA agreement is reached during this extension as some have speculated, and Light is re-signed ... I see no significant impact on NE's draft plans for the O-line. I mocked a G/T and C/G to them in the draft for the current draft game, I don't see Castonzo or Solder really carrying must have appeal for Scar and believe he'd rather go into the season with Vollmer and LeVoir at Tackle than draft one of those two too high. And I believe BB would prefer to take advantage of any red chip slider and not target a premier OL when weighed against NE's success with less sexy prospects.

If there's a curve coming along the O-line, consider Mankins to Tackle, especially if Scar has a draft prospect or two in mind to compete for the Guard slots. It's still my preference to leave Vollmer at RT, he's growing into the job and if Kaczur is retained and wins the RG slot that side of the line will gel nicely. Mankins kicked out to LT with Connolly or a rookie starting inside doesn't scare me, but I expect Light to be back and Mankins' situation to be sorted out shortly after a CBA agreement is reached.

Last edited:
I've read that Light and Pats have agreed in principle to a deal that will be announced after the CBA. Could be true, could not, but looking at the dearth of talent in this year's draft, I think it's plausible. If so, the Pats will draft an OT if it's the best value without being forced to take one.

With Neal retiring, I think BB might think twice about releasing Kaczur. If he's healthy and can play guard, he's worth the money.

I've read that Light and Pats have agreed in principle to a deal that will be announced after the CBA. Could be true, could not, but looking at the dearth of talent in this year's draft, I think it's plausible. If so, the Pats will draft an OT if it's the best value without being forced to take one.

With Neal retiring, I think BB might think twice about releasing Kaczur. If he's healthy and can play guard, he's worth the money.

If Light signs before the draft the entire complexion of the off season changes. Signing Mankins becomes gravy, they would roll into the draft with a ton of picks and could use Mankins as a possible tradable asset (if he signs the franchise tag). If that is in place they could really wheel and deal. There would almost be no excuse to not move into the top 10 and get the player they like.

If Light and/or Mankins are not signed before the draft then theyhave to cover their bases and draft one offensive lineman in the first 3 picks, that player would be slotted in as an immediate starter.

I hope the CBA can be worked our before the draft so the Patriots can have a dominant off season.

COME ON MILLIONAIRES TRY TO GET ALONG WITH THOSE BILLIONAIRES!

Last edited:
I believe resigning Light will be attempted for three years at a reasonable 5-6 million per year and will not influence the priority of geting a quality swing tackle at pick 17 in the draft. He will then serve two purposes, insurance or a safety valve if the new tackle needs extra time to aclimate to the patriots system especialy if CBA talks do not eliminate any chance of interference with mini camps or training camps. Also the fact that the Pats are looking to clear 3.5 million off the roster by cutting Kaczur will help support this move. If The new tackle shows early there is no need to keep light for insurance, I believe he will have good trade value to any team who is in need of a good LT and did not manage to get one of the 4 quality options early in the first round. I believe he may be worth a solid third round pick in next years draft if he is signed to a reasonable 3 year deal. On a side note I anticipate A trade of TBC when we aquire a quality OLB early in the draft and also a Safety picked in the 3rd. rd. makeing a trade of Sanders possible. These two trade may get a fourth and a fifth also clearing 6 million more from the cap. Kaczur,TBC,James Sanders, together clear 9.5 million helping clear cap for a Mankins signing. And possibly gaining a 3rd,4th and 5th twards next years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back