PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Larry Foote & Jason Taylor are signed, is this 2009 team as good as the 2007 team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If Larry Foote & Jason Taylor are signed, is this 2009 team as good as the 2007 t

I believe the Eagles were the first team to try it extensively.

omg the blueprint.

the giants did very well w/their inside blitzing, but that's not what hurt the pats --- it was getting run over on straight man rushing.

why would you post a margin of victory graph when you're trying to make a point about the offense?
go graph up points scored by the offense, or yardage, or some other measure, and get back to me, if you want to make that point.
otherwise, it's a crock, and you apparently know it.
by the way, feel free to subtract out the two 'weather games' against balt and the jets, if you've got any faith at all in your misinformation.

no, wait......endless internet arguing won't accomplish anything.
it's a crock.

Re: If Larry Foote & Jason Taylor are signed, is this 2009 team as good as the 2007 t

Hmm. things we think about...

I would say No, the 2007 team was the deepest and most talented since free agency started. But the 2009 team would be better than the 2008 team which went 11-5 without the league MVP at QB.

As BB said, is it my paper versus your paper? but still on paper it would look good.

If I were to pick where each player ends up, it would be Foote in Detroit and Taylor in New England. Yes, the Patriots are loaded, and barring injury are the favorite to wn the Super Bowl. I see a rematch of New England and Philly, but it's only April so I reserve the right to tweak my prediction.

I already think that the 2009 team could be better than the 2007 team. Galloway is better than Gaffney/Stallworth ever were, we have Fred Taylor, Mayo is going to be huge this year, Seymour is healthy, as he proved in 2008, and the secondary could very well end up being the best it's been since 2004. The only real question mark is replacing Vrabel.

I already think that the 2009 team could be better than the 2007 team. Galloway is better than Gaffney/Stallworth ever were, we have Fred Taylor, Mayo is going to be huge this year, Seymour is healthy, as he proved in 2008, and the secondary could very well end up being the best it's been since 2004. The only real question mark is replacing Vrabel.
I agree and slightly disagree with your post. I do agree that the offensive replacements/upgrades are better in regards to Galloway and the addition of Taylor. A healthy Richard Seymour is definitely a huge thing and Vabrel most definitely must be replaced (he was a monster for most of 2007).

However, I don't believe that the secondary is going to be anywhere as good as the 2004 secondary. I know you said it could end up being better, so I'm not totally disagreeing. I'm just not too big on Springs and Bodden yet. They have some proving to do; Springs must show he can stay healthy and Bodden must prove he can return to his Cleveland form. At this point, I'm more optimistic about Bodden. Meriweather has to continue the progression that he showed toward the end of last year, and Sanders has to step up as a leader in the defensive backfield. Let's not forget that the Pats are extremely young in the secondary (with exception to Springs). The 2004 secondary were all veterans, except for Wilson.

Also, though I may get blasted for saying this, I do believe that Brady is probably the biggest question mark on the team right now, IMO. I've heard all of the opposing arguments regarding his return - the Pats wouldn't have gotten rid of Cassel if they didn't truly know he was better, he's participating in drills w/out limitations, surgically repaired knees sometimes become even stronger than before in the injury, etc. - but nobody knows for sure. What if he's there physically but not mentally? How will he react when bodies are flying around, specifically around his legs? How will he react when he has to scramble out of the pocket or buy extra time? How will he react after his first hard hit? These are just some of the things you always have to wonder about athletes coming back from major injuries. I know Brady is tough and smart. I love his passion for the game and I'm confident he's doing everything he can to prepare. However, practice and preparation are not the real thing. It will have been almost a year since he's seen any football action, assuming he gets reps in the preseason. I guess that'll be a chance for us all to see what he looks like.

Last edited:

omg the blueprint.
No. The "blueprint" was an invention of ESPN. But you are out of your mind if you don't think teams look at what other teams do, and learn from their mistakes.

the giants did very well w/their inside blitzing, but that's not what hurt the pats --- it was getting run over on straight man rushing.
I'm aware. Though Steve Deossi pointed out - through Zach - that Spagnuolo found a flaw in Patriots ability to read the oncoming rushers. Belichick himself addressed the concern.

why would you post a margin of victory graph when you're trying to make a point about the offense?
It wasn't my graph. I just had it book marked for convince. But it shows the same general trend...

go graph up points scored by the offense, or yardage, or some other measure, and get back to me, if you want to make that point.
otherwise, it's a crock, and you apparently know it.
I'll open up excel just for you....

Sorry, no crock. Same pattern.

PatriotsPoints.jpg

by the way, feel free to subtract out the two 'weather games' against balt and the jets, if you've got any faith at all in your misinformation.
This sounds like an argument a Peyton Manning fan would make. There was light rain during the Baltimore game - which went away. The Jets game was rainy, but hardly a down pour. Not that it matters, cause no statistic worth its salt would just selectively 'subtract' games.

BTW, lol at your use of the word "misinformation."

oh, it's on now....'a light rain' wtf......

I'll get back to you.

No. The "blueprint" was an invention of ESPN. But you are out of your mind if you don't think teams look at what other teams do, and learn from their mistakes.

I'm aware. Though Steve Deossi pointed out - through Zach - that Spagnuolo found a flaw in Patriots ability to read the oncoming rushers. Belichick himself addressed the concern.

It wasn't my graph. I just had it book marked for convince. But it shows the same general trend...

I'll open up excel just for you....

Sorry, no crock. Same pattern.

PatriotsPoints.jpg

This sounds like an argument a Peyton Manning fan would make. There was light rain during the Baltimore game - which went away. The Jets game was rainy, but hardly a down pour. Not that it matters, cause no statistic worth its salt would just selectively 'subtract' games.

BTW, lol at your use of the word "misinformation."

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEE! :horn:

oh, it's on now....'a light rain' wtf......

I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEE! :horn:

The sad thing is, "rumble" over what? I've hardly said anything inflammatory about the Pats. I even said that the 09 Pats could, on paper, be better than the 07 team. This guy is getting bent out of shape over nothing. My argument is basically, that teams did a better job preparing for the Pats offense as the season went on - resulting in lower points. Hardly misinformation. And that it's bad reasoning to just "subtract" games, irregardless of the weather (which was indeed light rain, which didn't even last all game - on field turf no less, so there was no mud).

Yet somehow, "it's on."

Last edited:

I'm glad people are actually putting up data to support their argument rather than just posting opinions with little factual basis. Shock makes a convincing argument (and yes I agree that you cant selectively take data out, that would be cherry picking your data which would certainly skew results).

I know eom is going to get back to us and I can't wait to see what data he provides to prove his point. I hope he does so he makes this discussion more CHFF like as opposed to one of those talk radio shows I keep hearing about from you guys where the hosts just go on and on with little or no factual basis.

Last edited:

So whatever happened to the Thrilla in Manilla?
Rumble in the Jungle?
No Mas?

Things are getting boring round here today, was kinda looking forward :D

Nevermind, just saw the continuation thread 2 seconds ago

Last edited:

oh goddamnit...this was the thread, apparently....

oh goddamnit...this was the thread, apparently....

You got round one, hands down bro.

Good argument, funny how I just brought it back 1 min before your thread:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back