PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If HGH speeds up recovery time on injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illegal? I don't believe it's even scheduled (no, it is scheduled in some states, but not federally). Regardless, explain why it was approved for Adult GHD by the FDA in 1996. Explain why it's sometimes used in HRT in patients with a low IGF-1 count. Explain why it's used in the treatment of Aids related Waisting Disease, along with Turner Syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, and others, not to mention the controversial, though legal use of it in anti-aging treatments. There's nothing illegal about HGH, and it's used for much more than Short Bowel Syndrome.

Technically, there is a federal law in the United States that prohibits the use of human growth hormone for any purpose outside of a very narrow range of conditions. At the beginning of 2007, the federal government made some attempts to start enforcing this previously obscure law.

Doctors in the United States simply ignore the law that prohibits the uses of HGH not approved by the FDA. Any doctor who does so is risking legal problems. Although it is almost impossible to actually convict any physician for prescribing HGH for any medical condition (because juries are more compassionate than government bureaucracies), the federal government has tried, and such attempts have been financially very costly for physicians.

When I turn 40, I want hgh.

It is mainly used for anti-aging.

Last edited:
Synthetic is all you can get. They used to get it from cadavers, but there was some kind of long term risk of infection or disease (can't remember the specifics) that caused the FDA to pull cadaver harvested HGH, and eventually replace it with synthetic HGH.

I meant steroids.

Last edited:
What HGH therapy can do:
  • Reduce excess body fat, especially abdominal fat. (The reduction of abdominal fat is the single most profound effect of HGH replacement in many people.)
  • Increase muscle mass (and physical strength if combined with moderate exercise).
  • Reduce wrinkling of the skin and some other effects of skin aging.
  • Re-grow certain internal organs that have atrophied with age.
  • Increase bone density.
  • Strengthen the immune system.
  • Reverse cognitive decline.
  • Stimulate production of the bone marrow cells that produce red blood cells.
  • Reduce the probability that you will spend the last years of your life in a nursing home.

What HGH cannot do:
  • It cannot eliminate the effects of oxidation damage, although it may alleviate some of it.
  • It cannot undo the effects of cardiovascular disease, although it sometimes reduces some of its effects. It can also slow its progression by improving one's cholesterol profile.
  • It cannot eliminate the effects of the reduction of other hormones. In fact, a deficiency of certain other hormones will decrease the beneficial effects of HGH.
  • It cannot significantly reverse the damage to human proteins caused by glucose, although it may reverse a little of this damage.
  • Although it helps skin to look younger, it cannot eliminate all of the damage cause by sunlight and other ultraviolet sources.
  • It cannot increase maximum lifespan. For many people with HGH or IGF-1 genetic defects, it can significantly extend life expectancy.

The whole problem with this, is, an alphabet agency called... the FDA.

The only naturally-occuring growth hormone releasing peptide appears to be ghrelin. Ghrelin is a powerful appetite stimulant. When given to laboratory animals, the animals eat huge amounts of food. The weight gain induced by overeating completely overwhelms the fat burning caused by the growth hormone release, and the animals become obese. Pharmaceutical companies have produced synthetic growth hormone releasing peptides, such as GHRP-6 and hexarelin, which stimulate HGH in humans, but do not increase appetite significantly. These substances are not on the market yet, and probably won't be for many years.

I'll rephrase the question

QUESTION
Do I want want Tom Brady to knowingly violate league policy, and perhaps be put under the NFL's drug policy for the rest of his career? Is this what I want from one of the best QB's that has ever played? And this violation would be to gain a couple of games?

We've dealt with this question before. My answer is "No". Many here simply need data from a web site to recommend that others take prohibited substances.

The bottom line is that the patriot franchise can choose to a leader of the NFL or it can choose to use any activity they can as long as the penalty isn't too much. After all, the rules are for other teams.

So, you would use you own personal judgement in order for you to use a drug that "might" have an anti-aging effect? Might I suggest that if this were even remotely possible, a dozen drug companies would have tested the drug long ago. Yes, juries are quite lenient, but I suspect that your hopes are misplaced. The leniency is most liekly to be to be in cases when patients take illegal drugs when terminally ill, to try a long-shot to save their lives.

And before we quote a dozen websites, there will always be wesites receommending almost anything. What does WEBMD say, or Mayo Clinic or Harvard Medical?

Technically, there is a federal law in the United States that prohibits the use of human growth hormone for any purpose outside of a very narrow range of conditions. At the beginning of 2007, the federal government made some attempts to start enforcing this previously obscure law.

Doctors in the United States simply ignore the law that prohibits the uses of HGH not approved by the FDA. Any doctor who does so is risking legal problems. Although it is almost impossible to actually convict any physician for prescribing HGH for any medical condition (because juries are more compassionate than government bureaucracies), the federal government has tried, and such attempts have been financially very costly for physicians.

When I turn 40, I want hgh.

It is mainly used for anti-aging.

HGH is not illegal. It is available by prescription

whatever is not allowed by the league or whatever causes it to be deemed illegal to use by the nfl i would not want him to take it.
lets face it ,if it was found that manning took hgh -prescribed- last yr to heal his knee , there wont be this much debate about hgh being legal or illegal. We wouldve jumped on him calling him a cheater.
i also didnt like it when rodney took it even though he claimed it was to recover from his knee although the shipment arrived before the titans playoff game.
just my 2 cents.

While Slate and Sabernomics are probably fine web sites, I'd rely more on something a bit more scientific like PubMed PubMed Home where you'll find significant evidence to the contrary in both human and animal studies, although it's a bit of a pain to wade through the studies. :)

If there are so many studies providing evidence to the contrary, why didn't you link to any of them, instead of just linking to the PubMed front page? I mean, all that really provides evidence of is the existence of PubMed.

The articles on Slate and Sabernomics I provided were intended to make sense of the issue to laymen, but cite numerous studies of the sort you'd find on PubMed, including meta-analyses of large numbers of studies.

The facts reported clearly depict the general consensus in the medical community that HGH does not increase the healing rate or enhance strength or endurance in endocrinologically normal 30 year olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down