PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Graham Won't Sign Long Term . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Box_O_Rocks said:
Thanks for the correction.

:enranged: Jason Taylor!

Yeah, and I didn't want to say anything, but John Abraham is probably awfully close as well.

Maybe I'm misreading things, but I don't see Graham being perceived as a top TE. He seems like a solid player; a useful addition to a team but neither a game-changer nor irreplacable. Then again i would have said the same about Givens, and look at what he got.

This also seems a good place to mention another effect which could really help the Pats next offseason. They've lost some of their shine, enough so that people started picking the Dolphins to win the AFC East. If the Pats lose early in the playoffs other teams may stop the practice of overpaying for their players, which is what typically kills great teams. Of course, when the Pats win the superbowl again there will once again be a premium attached to every patriots free agent.

I see the success of the team having a large influence on the offers Graham gets next year. If the Pats have another disappointing season (hard to call last year a disappointment, but we're talking perception here, not reality) I see Graham receiving money closer to that of a #10 TE. A superbowl season probably sees Graham getting top 5 money as some team's splashy move.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Maybe I'm misreading things, but I don't see Graham being perceived as a top TE. He seems like a solid player; a useful addition to a team but neither a game-changer nor irreplacable. Then again i would have said the same about Givens, and look at what he got.

This also seems a good place to mention another effect which could really help the Pats next offseason. They've lost some of their shine, enough so that people started picking the Dolphins to win the AFC East. If the Pats lose early in the playoffs other teams may stop the practice of overpaying for their players, which is what typically kills great teams. Of course, when the Pats win the superbowl again there will once again be a premium attached to every patriots free agent.

I see the success of the team having a large influence on the offers Graham gets next year. If the Pats have another disappointing season (hard to call last year a disappointment, but we're talking perception here, not reality) I see Graham receiving money closer to that of a #10 TE. A superbowl season probably sees Graham getting top 5 money as some team's splashy move.

Graham doesn't get alot of credit for what he does, but what he does is vital. I think for every instance where you DON'T notice him now, you'd notice his replacement vividly. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Graham is a very key part of the TE set we run ....., as watson is WR morph TE Graham is OL morph.
When brady needs extra protection he plays OL .If he is gone we currently do not have a OL /Tightend combo which he brings to the table.Handling a DL line is not easy even though everyone thinks so.

so truely we have drafted in 2006 watson type WR/tighten and not blocker based ones.I for some reason want brady to be protected more as he ages.

Last edited:
satz said:
Graham is a very key part of the TE set we run ....., as watson is WR morph TE Graham is OL morph.
When brady needs extra protection he plays OL .If he is gone we currently do not have a OL /Tightend combo which he brings to the table.Handling a DL line is not easy even though everyone thinks so.

so truely we have drafted in 2006 watson type WR/tighten and not blocker based ones.I for some reason want brady to be protected more as he ages.
I'm taking a break from breaking down the third quarter TD drive that started after the D stopped Buffalo on 4th and inches. Watson missed a block on the RDE that allowed Maroney to be stuffed for a 5 yd loss - since then Graham has been the guy that they put over there to help O'Callaghan who was having trouble with that speed - and Graham handles those slugs like he's wrestling with his baby brother. :)

Just to clarify my point, I don't see Graham being percieved as a top TE. As a Pats fan I know how good he is. I don't believe most fans from other teams have heard much of him since he doesn't catch a ton of passes, and it can be hard for teams to sell Graham as a big name free agent when his contributions go under the radar.

Maybe its due to living in the DC area, but I see fan perception as being an important factor here (not that it's gotten the Redskins anywhere).

Last edited:
TomBrady'sGoat said:
Maybe its due to living in the DC area, but I see fan perception as being an important factor here (not that it's gotten the Redskins anywhere).

You mean like all the hype about former #9 pick overall yet classic underachiever Andre Carter?

Sorry I like graham, but he's not a franchise player. and for the person who says the pats wont sign Samual, well then who are they going to replace him with. They have to spend the money on someone. and for the people who keep saying graham is less effective because he blocks, well maybe we should of spent a first on a better tackle rather then graham.

R_T26 said:
Sorry I like graham, but he's not a franchise player. and for the person who says the pats wont sign Samual, well then who are they going to replace him with. They have to spend the money on someone. and for the people who keep saying graham is less effective because he blocks, well maybe we should of spent a first on a better tackle rather then graham.

Or another TE!

If Graham is let go I absolutely GUARANTEE that NE drafts another TE on the first day. Mark. It. Down.

BelichickFan said:
The Franchise and trade option is now there with him.

Samuel and Koppen would be too costly as the OL and CB Franchise numbers last year were $7M and $6M respectively and will be higher this year.

Tight End, however, was only $3.3M. Now I know some TE got new deals so this could go up a decent amount but, and someone might correct me, I can't see it being over $5-$5.5M. That's a little pricey for Graham but it's reasonable enough to Franchise him and control his rights. With the new wave of teams liking TE, we could trade him, I think, for a minimum of a #3. And very possibly a #2.
you're definitely not going to get a 2nd rounder and i don't think you'd even get a 3rd for an often injured player with alot of miles on his shoulders as well as a team paying big bucks to him. i think he'll likely walk like woody did and get his big contract and i don't blame him for going for financial security.

New england game plan is to create mismatches and one of the key area you do with TE .So a higher draft choice is used on them.Also graham might not be needed to block on every game and hence mutes the whole first rounder as i am sure after 4 or 5 years he will be gone in FA and dispartity in talent in a line will lead to a mess.
Also, line man work as a unit and you need a line which is greater than the sum of parts.

One more thing that no one noticed is graham ran as FB for a few series againt the bills.so let see how many TE/OL/FB one can find ...not a lot.so lining him up gives an option on the offence to execute 4 plays with him off the bat.

Last edited:
Tight end to watch if he declares early:

Name: Zach Miller
College: Arizona State Number: 86
Height: 6-5 Weight: 260
Position: TE Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2008
40 Time: 4.79 40 Low: 40 High:
Projected Round: 1 Stock:
Rated number 2 out of 56 TE's 11 / 1129 TOTAL

Draft Scout Snapshot: June 2006 - HM All-Pac 10 w/38-476-12.5-4 in '05. All-American, Pac 10 FOY in '04 w/56-552-9.9-6.

Possibly the most talented tight end in college footballl...combines mental and physical toughness, amazing receiving skills and punishing effort as a blocker...Named a 2006 Playboy All-American...was named to the preseason watch list for the Maxwell Award, which is presented annually to the nation's top offensive player...earned preseason first-team All-America honors by the NFL Draft Almanac and Rivals.com...earned preseason second-team All-America honors by Athlon Sports, Lindy's and Phil Steele...earned preseason honorable mention All-America recognition by Street & Smith's...ranked as the second-best tight end in the nation by Lindy's and Phil Steele and the third-best at his position by the Sporting News...ranked by ESPN.com as the second-best tight end to be eligible for the 2007 NFL Draft.

Named to virtually every preseason first-team All-Pac-10 list...ranked as the No. 7 "Top NFL Talent" in the Pac-10 by Lindy's...regarded by Street & Smith's as having the "Best Instincts" in the conference...in his first two seasons at ASU, he has caught 94 passes for 1,028 yards and 10 touchdowns...shattered ASU's freshman receiving records...joins wide receiver Terry Richardson as the only two current Sun Devils with more than 1,000 career receiving yards, and ranks second to Richardson among active Sun Devils in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown receptions...over the past two seasons, he ranks first nationally among tight ends in receptions (94), and second in receiving yards (1,028) and touchdown catches (10)...ranks fourth all-time in receiving yards among ASU tight ends, and is tied with current Baltimore Raven Todd Heap for second all-time in touchdown receptions among Sun Devil tight ends.

Has started all 22 games in which he's played...has caught at least one pass in 20 of 22 career games and has had five or more receptions 10 times...has caught a career-high 10 passes twice, against Iowa in 2004 and at Washington State in 2005...nicknamed "The Truth" by teammates for having lived up to the hype surrounding his status as the nation's top tight end prospect coming out of high school...earned Hard Hat Player recognition for his efforts in the team's winter strength and conditioning program (top 10 in points)...joined by his older brother Brent on the ASU roster.

Hard to know whether Graham will accept BB's price. I promise that the Pats will make an offer, but whether Dan follows the Stephen Neal path or the David Givens path... anyone's guess.

Either way, I can completely understand it. Like Givens, I hope he comes back, I understand if he doesn't, and I wont be heartbroken. Also, whether he re-signs or not, I'm sure the braintrust will make it work.

Put to rest the notion that Thomas was drafted to take Graham's place. That aint happening in this lifetime. If Graham does leave, the OL will be in much the same position as the MLB position is since TJ left. Perhaps Watson can pick it up enough to perform that role, much like Vrabel has had to fill in, taking him away from his natural position at OLB, leaving Thomas to become the designated receiving TE, but it will be a waste of talent, and most likely not as effective. Also, we can anticipate Watson packing his bags at the end of his 4th yr. Graham's staying is crucial to Watson's. Hopefully they will show him enough cheese to keep him. It would be nice to see this position settled. Do we really need 2 more first day TE's?

[Poor Richard Seymour, maybe he will be so distraught over Deion's loss that he will donate some of his millions to the other players. Oh, I see, he's not that distraught.[/QUOTE]

* So, Is that what it is to be a Boston fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back