PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Graham Won't Sign Long Term . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Franchise and trade option is now there with him.

Samuel and Koppen would be too costly as the OL and CB Franchise numbers last year were $7M and $6M respectively and will be higher this year.

Tight End, however, was only $3.3M. Now I know some TE got new deals so this could go up a decent amount but, and someone might correct me, I can't see it being over $5-$5.5M. That's a little pricey for Graham but it's reasonable enough to Franchise him and control his rights. With the new wave of teams liking TE, we could trade him, I think, for a minimum of a #3. And very possibly a #2.

BelichickFan said:

Samuel and Koppen would be too costly as the OL and CB Franchise numbers last year were $7M and $6M respectively and will be higher this year.

Tight End, however, was only $3.3M. Now I know some TE got new deals so this could go up a decent amount but, and someone might correct me, I can't see it being over $5-$5.5M. That's a little pricey for Graham but it's reasonable enough to Franchise him and control his rights. With the new wave of teams liking TE, we could trade him, I think, for a minimum of a #3. And very possibly a #2.

If we lose Graham - Matt Light will look even worse than he did Sunday.

BelichickFan said:

Samuel will be signed as will Koppen. I dont think Graham will be offered a contract that he feel he's worth. I think Thomas is waiting in the wings to replace Graham and the "Franchise and trade" thing is very likely.

BB is clearly stocking up on draft picks figuring he'll have a lot of needs as his team is starting to get older, especially at LB. This is how you sustain a franchise's success.

I think Graham would LOVE to sign long term but I don't think his price and the team's price are close right now.

That could change as the season goes on.

If Jackson and Gabriel can't create a credible deep threat defenses will collapse and likely double team Watson. Graham or Thomas might be freed up as a result (though its still a short field without WRs giving a deep threat) and Graham could have a very good year.

$3.3 million a year is a little high for Graham in my book - but for one year I'd be willing to overpay.

It's Graham's call if he'd be willing to sign for somewhere in the $2 million range for a long term contract with guaranteed money, because I'd think that's where the team is right now.

Seems to me that since Graham's not grumbling about this he's willing to gamble that he'll stay healthy and have a very good year

Garbanza said:
Indeed. But it is what it is. And he's a UFA after this year.

Which means we can either :

- Sign him long term.
- Franchise and keep him.
- Franchise and trade him.
- Lose him for a 2008 comp pick.

If Graham won't sign at least we have Watson, along with Thomas and Mills. I think the team was preparing for Graham's departure just as they were for Deion's, only Deion's came a year early.

Garbanza said:

Light hasn't played in how long? Give the guy a break.

mdhprime said:
Light has looked shaky since coming back even in TC.

It could be him just getting back into form but its going to take some time.

Brownfan80 said:
If Graham won't sign at least we have Watson, along with Thomas and Mills. I think the team was preparing for Graham's departure just as they were for Deion's, only Deion's came a year early.
I agree with you that Graham will probably leave. How he leaves, though, is the question. And freeing up the Franchise tag now allows us to have him leave through a Franchise and trade vs. a UFA and comp pick scenario.

I think the worst case under the tag is a 2007 #3 pick. Whereas the best case under a comp pick is about a 2008 #5 pick.

Can we just worry about this year's team and not worry about next year. That's why we have David Thomas and Garrett Mills.

This team will be good, the WR's will be ok and next year people will come and people will go.

It's like people are just looking for negatives. Is that what it is to be a Boston fan?

Poor Richard Seymour, maybe he will be so distraught over Deion's loss that he will donate some of his millions to the other players. Oh, I see, he's not that distraught.

mdhprime said:

Let's tell that to Brady after he hits the turf for the fourteenth time...."Don't worry, Tom. It's not Matt's fault, he hasn't played in a while."

p8ryts said:
Can we just worry about this year's team and not worry about next year.
Go ahead. It's either this or Branch right now. Start an interesting thread about this week's game.

BelichickFan said:

You swine, you have prompted me to "think outside the box" (and it's awfully chilly out here!), and this 'think' stuff is always upsetting.

We have been evaluating Graham's value as a Tight End, what is his value as the "sixth offensive lineman?" If Matt Light is good for a 5 year/$27M deal, is Graham's 'shades of Hannah' blocking in that range? What makes an elite Tight End? Are 80 catches a year the only standard? With a new look backfield, is blocking skill at Tight End going to be a more important factor in the value assessment? I'd think it at least rates a 50/50 split, as beautiful as a Ben Watson 30 yard reception is, a 30 yard Dillon/Maroney scamper is it's equal.

Time to get back into my cozy corner and watch the fur fly.

JoeSixPat said:
I think Graham would LOVE to sign long term but I don't think his price and the team's price are close right now.

That could change as the season goes on.

If Jackson and Gabriel can't create a credible deep threat defenses will collapse and likely double team Watson. Graham or Thomas might be freed up as a result (though its still a short field without WRs giving a deep threat) and Graham could have a very good year.

$3.3 million a year is a little high for Graham in my book - but for one year I'd be willing to overpay.

It's Graham's call if he'd be willing to sign for somewhere in the $2 million range for a long term contract with guaranteed money, because I'd think that's where the team is right now.

Seems to me that since Graham's not grumbling about this he's willing to gamble that he'll stay healthy and have a very good year

It's funny when thinking about value to the team I thought Graham was worth more than Branch. I know TE's aren't valued as highly. I think Graham is worth franchise money.

Box_O_Rocks said:
You swine, you have prompted me to "think outside the box" (and it's awfully chilly out here!), and this 'think' stuff is always upsetting.

We have been evaluating Graham's value as a Tight End, what is his value as the "sixth offensive lineman?" If Matt Light is good for a 5 year/$27M deal, is Graham's 'shades of Hannah' blocking in that range? What makes an elite Tight End? Are 80 catches a year the only standard? With a new look backfield, is blocking skill at Tight End going to be a more important factor in the value assessment? I'd think it at least rates a 50/50 split, as beautiful as a Ben Watson 30 yard reception is, a 30 yard Dillon/Maroney scamper is it's equal.

Time to get back into my cozy corner and watch the fur fly.

Toeally agree, remember M Vravaro thinks Graham is the best TE in the league.
Alos BB values this as a hard position to fill on the roster. Look at eh draft picks used for this slot.

Exactly! I hope that either Light or Kaczur is 100% soon, or at least good enough to protect Brady.

BTW, I think $2M a year is a lowball offer to Graham. He may be our best OL. While I don't think he should be paid LT money (or maybe he should), he is certainly worth as much as any other OL position.

Personally, I'd franchise and keep him, but I don't think he'd play.

dryheat44 said:
Let's tell that to Brady after he hits the turf for the fourteenth time...."Don't worry, Tom. It's not Matt's fault, he hasn't played in a while."

Samuel = walking out the door

There's no way we pay this guy like 4 mill a year.

drew4008 said:
Samuel = walking out the door

There's no way we pay this guy like 4 mill a year.

Nope. Especially not that Hobbs has apparently supplanted him as our #1 CB. I doubt he's here next year, but if he wants a three-year extension this year, I'd offer it.

A month or so ago, I put the liklihood of re-signing our four UFAs as:

1. Graham
2. Branch
3. Samuel
4. Koppen

Besides the one being out the door already, I don't know if that's changed. I do, however, hope Koppen signs an extension.

Jacky Roberts said:
Samuel will be signed as will Koppen. I dont think Graham will be offered a contract that he feel he's worth. I think Thomas is waiting in the wings to replace Graham and the "Franchise and trade" thing is very likely.

BB is clearly stocking up on draft picks figuring he'll have a lot of needs as his team is starting to get older, especially at LB. This is how you sustain a franchise's success.

I agree for the most part. I will say that Belichick is not likely to use high draft picks on LBs. Not sure if that is what you had in mind.

Of course, we said that about RB and OL, so maybe he'll surprise us with a #1 pick LB next year. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes