PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If compensation is correct, we got a steal

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT? I was counting on at least a 3rd being sent. If all that was sent was a 5th... I almost feel bad for the Raiders. The Pats absolutely screwed them if that's true.

No way it's just a fifth. If it was then that would mean Al Davis is crazy and that CAN'T be true... can it?

Is it possible Al Davis was asking for a 5th of Scotch?

RI Pats Fan said:
No way it's just a fifth. If it was then that would mean Al Davis is crazy and that CAN'T be true... can it?
Al probably thought we were talking about ROMAN Gabriel! :p

scout said:
Is it possible Al Davis was asking for a 5th of Scotch?

Haha! On top of basically giving away nothing to get him, Garbriel's salaries are very low for the next two years.

I said it once and ill say it again, it sounds too good to be true

DB15 said:
I said it once and ill say it again, it sounds too good to be true

I'm with you here. But one can always hope.

I think a 5th for Gabriel is certainly a steal. Al Davis would have to be nuts to ask for just a 5th so I guess you all are right, we'll see.

As for steals, a second rounder for Daunte Culpepper is the biggest bank robbery in recent criminal history. ;)

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I think a 5th for Gabriel is certainly a steal. Al Davis would have to be nuts to ask for just a 5th so I guess you all are right, we'll see.

As for steals, a second rounder for Daunte Culpepper is the biggest bank robbery in recent criminal history. ;)

Culpepper is going on IR on Oct. 8th

Aqua4Ever04 said:

Yeah, for the team getting the second round pick.

For the life of me, I can't fathom why the Raiders would give the Pats this guy for a 5th Rounder.

He's got two years remaining on a low cap contract, he's a star on the rise, he's consistently outperformed expectations, he's got a great attitude and work ethic, he caught 37 passes last year from a stiff like Kerry Collins.........

Methnks there are some incriminating Al Davis photos floating around Foxboro. (Although what more evidence could really incriminate Al Davis than what's already public?)

shmessy said:
For the life of me, I can't fathom why the Raiders would give the Pats this guy for a 5th Rounder.

He's got two years remaining on a low cap contract, he's a star on the rise, he's consistently outperformed expectations, he's got a great attitude and work ethic, he caught 37 passes last year from a stiff like Kerry Collins.........

Methnks there are some incriminating Al Davis photos floating around Foxboro. (Although what more evidence could really incriminate Al Davis than what's already public?)

It is a very great trade for the pats, esp. for what we gave up, but let's not start annointing the guy a STAR ON THE RISE!! Thats really starting to get on my nerves. When we picked up Reche during the Offseason, werent alot of people on this very board annointing him a star on the rise? I guess he could still accomplish that, he hasnt even played a season for us yet, but lets just call it what it is and not annoint every damn guy this team picks up as being a future star. Let their play dictate those talks.

All i can say is BOOYAH....Steal......

holyredeemer said:
It is a very great trade for the pats, esp. for what we gave up, but let's not start annointing the guy a STAR ON THE RISE!! Thats really starting to get on my nerves. When we picked up Reche during the Offseason, werent alot of people on this very board annointing him a star on the rise? I guess he could still accomplish that, he hasnt even played a season for us yet, but lets just call it what it is and not annoint every damn guy this team picks up as being a future star. Let their play dictate those talks.

Very simply: The words of the Raiders fans this afternoon are in TREMENDOUS contrast to the words of the Chargers fans the day we picked up Caldwell. Like night and day.

Caldwell was a 2nd rounder who consistently underperformed expectations in SD. Gabriel is a 5th rounder who has consistently OUTperformed expectations in Oakland. No one is a sure thing, but I like this kid's trajectory so far.

To me, that's telling.

Last edited:
Seeing how pissed the Raiders fans are makes me love this deal.

shmessy said:
Very simply: The words of the Raiders fans this afternoon are in TREMENDOUS contrast to the words of the Chargers fans the day we picked up Caldwell. Like night and day.

Caldwell was a 2nd rounder who consistently underperformed expectations in SD. Gabriel is a 5th rounder who has consistently OUTperformed expectations in Oakland. No one is a sure thing, but I like this kid's trajectory so far.

To me, that's telling.

Im sorry if that came off the wrong way, but I also like his trajectory. However, it seems alot of people here on this board have a new favorite player every other day and its making me sick. As far as the raiders fans comments, when was the last one you hung out with one? They think every damn player is golden and have such a blind outlook on their franchise its sad. Most of my family is extreme raiders fans. They're lame and I truly hate them all:)

holyredeemer said:
Im sorry if that came off the wrong way, but I also like his trajectory. However, it seems alot of people here on this board have a new favorite player every other day and its making me sick. As far as the raiders fans comments, when was the last one you hung out with one? They think every damn player is golden and have such a blind outlook on their franchise its sad. Most of my family is extreme raiders fans. They're lame and I truly hate them all:)

Good point. Buddy at the gym is a huge Raider fan, and if memory serves me, he thinks Gabriel is a sure fire Pro Bowler.

holyredeemer said:

Obviously, I can't stand Raider fans. Have debated hundreds of them online over the years.

Which makes their comments today all the more telling and, quite frankly, shocking. In one respect, they have a similarity to Pats fans - they cannibalize former players on the way out (those who exit voluntarily and, to a lesser extent involuntarily).

Read the Raider fans' comments (here and on other boards). They are universally glum about this. Yes, they are excited about Morant and Madsen coming up, but they love this Gabriel kid, who in his 2nd and 3rd years caught 70 passes from the doofus Kerry Collins. Think what that could translate into in a Tom Brady offense that DOESN'T face nickel defenses 80% of the time (any D's worry about the Oakland run?).

For a 5th round draft choice next year (I think we'll have about 4 of those)??????? I'm sorry, I can't find a negative in this move.

I've seen no one here make him their "new favorite player" or change their sigs (yet). All folks are saying is "great move". No need to exagerrate it.

Last edited:
holyredeemer said:
I was sentenced there for 8 years, belches and grunts will get you by. Why worry what they think about a player good or bad, after all, they don't see much through the red haze while peering out under that brow ridge.

Just remember, all of us who are celebrating were Monty Beisel fans in 2005. :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes