PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cassel plays like a competent NFL starter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If Cassel plays like a competent NFL starter.....

Unless Cassel plays like an all-pro, he's not getting a big deal. You don't think other teams will realize the kind of talent around him? Cassel damn sure better be able to do about 20 TDs or else he really sucks. Not many offense are this stacked. I think unless he has a ridiculous season he should be able to re-sign.
Why? If he was playing in Minnesota the Vikes would be 2-0 and looking good. Cassel is showing he can make good decisions and that is gold for teams like the Bears who had been frustrated with bad decision makers.

Let's get realistic, here. Cassel plays well to a significant extent because he's on the Patriots. Haven't we learned anything from all the players that have moved on to other teams? The coaching staff puts players into positions where they can succeed. Other teams just aren't as good at that and it shows.

O'Connell is considered the QB of the future, not Cassel that most everyone (including me) wanted cut after the joke of a pre-season he had. He's had 2 decent games against below average teams (I think the Jets will struggle to be an 8-8 team). He's avoided the interceptions which has been one of the main objectives. But let's not get carried away here. He badly underthrew a wide-open Randy Moss and, for the most part, is just being asked to manage the game. No rush to sign him long term. Ever.
I agree with youk that the Pats put players in a position to succedd, but not that a team like the Vikings, Bears, etc wouldn't love to have a guy who can pass accurately and make good decisions.

You were wrong about Cassel in the preseason (and no, not everyone wanted him cut, only those that confuse QBing with fatansy football stats).

Also, you make is sound so easy to "manage" a game. He completed a lot of passes, did not make stupid mistakes, and regardless of who was around him, played better than Favre. Winning is hard to do. So far this season, just about every game has resulted in one team or the other losing. That's only a 50% success rate :eek:

Re: If Cassel plays like a competent NFL starter.....

Brady was signed for the 2002 season at a salary of $375,000. He was going to be an RFA in 2003 and an UFA in 2004 which meant that the Pats could have him for cheap for two seasons (2002/2003) before placing the franchise tag on 2004.

Brady's 2002 deal included an option bonus which had to be picked up by the first day of the 2003 league year.

If Cassel's deal includes an option bonus which has to be picked up by the first day of the 2009 league year, I do not expect the Pats to trade him.
Good point, but I don't think they would want to do a deal exactly like they gave Brady because the situations are different. They would have to come up with a different set of signing, option, and roster bonuses to accomplish the same thing in a different way.

There are a lot of ways to configure a contract, and I don't think it is impossible for the Pats to come up with a deal that results in something worthwhile to both that Pats and Cassel.

While we can't draft one up, surely the Pats have someone who is smart enough to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes