PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Carriker is there at 24, do the Patriots take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I don't think Carriker will be there at #24, since he showed at the senior bowl the potential to play 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE. That versatility and ability to fit into any defensive scheme make him an elite prospect. If he were available, it really depends on who else is too. I would rather get a dominant 3-4 OLB than a dominant 3-4 DE in this draft, all things being equal.

Carriker is a stud anyway you look at it....We are weak at LBers that being said...We can go from 3-4 to 4-3 more options.....If he falls to 24 why not....

Too much money? I don't know, it's just a thought. I also said having three DEs like Seymour, Warren and Carriker wouldn't exactly be a horrible problem to have.

No but having a pair of inside linebackers whose average age is 35 plus, and a number one CB in Ellis Hobbs would be. This is not the time to be worrying about the line.

Warren is their most consistent DL, they'll resign him.

No but having a pair of inside linebackers whose average age is 35 plus, and a number one CB in Ellis Hobbs would be. This is not the time to be worrying about the line.

I don't know how many times I have said this now but I do realize that LB is easliy our biggest need on defense. My question is simply do you think the Patriots would take Carriker if he was still there at 24? I say they would.

If I have learned anything about the Patriots when it comes to drafting (or anything else for that matter) it's expect the unexpected. I realize that we are already loaded on the D line but with Warren's contract coming up and Seymour's injury troubles as of late, do you see the Patriots passing on Adam Carriker if he's sitting there at 24? I realize we have much bigger needs right now but that has been the case the past few years and they always seem to do the exact opposite. What do you think?
If I was GM for a day, I'd consider moving up for him - we have one DL who came on strong his rookie year, grabbing another good one now makes sense taking the long term approach.

Jay Moore - my impression was not as much functional strength as Carriker and perhaps not as skilled with his hands...your thoughts?

The guy I think could be the surprise pick is Joe Staley, OT from Central Michigan. He's an athletic LT prospect, and a former TE. They could groom him to take over for Light, freeing him to be the RT.

It wouldn't shock me.

I think they'll go with josh Gattis (S, Wake Forest) with their second pick, reaching a little. He's been favorably compared to Rodney, and I think he's rated higher than Griffin from Texas.

I think I would vomit with rage if we drafted an OL in the 1st.

Not to mention the fact that it makes no sense.

Too much money? I don't know, it's just a thought. I also said having three DEs like Seymour, Warren and Carriker wouldn't exactly be a horrible problem to have.

DE is not exactly a position of need ...

If I was GM for a day, I'd consider moving up for him - we have one DL who came on strong his rookie year, grabbing another good one now makes sense taking the long term approach.

Jay Moore - my impression was not as much functional strength as Carriker and perhaps not as skilled with his hands...your thoughts?

No way is he big enough to play D line in the 3-4. He would be an interesting prospect at OLB though.

Yeah I know, we've covered that several times...

So unless he's projected to 3-4 OLB, what's the point in debating it?

Damn offseason...

Last edited:
Granted the point is moot because he won't be there close to 24, but if he is there you take him. Improve the lines every chance you get. I'd take him over the supposed best linebackers like Willis all day every day.

So unless he's projected to 3-4 OLB, what's the point in debating it?

Damn offseason...

I've covered this too. Was there a HUGE need at TE when we drafted Watson? We already had Graham and Fauria. I can't remember the last time the Patriots drafted a position in the first round that ANYONE on this board considered a "need" position.

I've covered this too. Was there a HUGE need at TE when we drafted Watson? We already had Graham and Fauria. I can't remember the last time the Patriots drafted a position in the first round that ANYONE on this board considered a "need" position.

True, but the LB situation is about as dire as it can get. Given the limited options in FA... it kind of limits the options.

No way is he big enough to play D line in the 3-4. He would be an interesting prospect at OLB though.
I saw Moore was playing at 276 for the Senior Bowl, does he have any LB/coverage experience? What are your thoughts on Bradley?

I saw Moore was playing at 276 for the Senior Bowl, does he have any LB/coverage experience? What are your thoughts on Bradley?

He doesn't have any experience at LB unless it was in high school. He played strictly on the D line for Nebraska. Then again, McGinest, Bruschi and Vrabel didn't have LB experience until Belichick came either. As far as Bradley, he's very athletic and should be good in pass coverage but I worry about his run stopping ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes