PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Carriker is there at 24, do the Patriots take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alk

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If I have learned anything about the Patriots when it comes to drafting (or anything else for that matter) it's expect the unexpected. I realize that we are already loaded on the D line but with Warren's contract coming up and Seymour's injury troubles as of late, do you see the Patriots passing on Adam Carriker if he's sitting there at 24? I realize we have much bigger needs right now but that has been the case the past few years and they always seem to do the exact opposite. What do you think?

we just resigned Seymour to a big contract..we dont draft a guy to wait till Sey gets hurt..we have Green and Warren willl get resigned.

im comforatble with Green as the main backup and even starter actually..and if u draft Carriker and then you resign Warren b/c hes 1 of the best players on the team, what happens to Carriker? Teams wont give u equal value that u drafted the player @

we just resigned Seymour to a big contract..we dont draft a guy to wait till Sey gets hurt..we have Green and Warren willl get resigned.

im comforatble with Green as the main backup and even starter actually..and if u draft Carriker and then you resign Warren b/c hes 1 of the best players on the team, what happens to Carriker? Teams wont give u equal value that u drafted the player @

I'm saying maybe it's a possibility that they have no intentions of resigning Warren. Green is a situational pass rush type player, Carriker is an every down type player, to have three quality guys at DE to rotate would not be a bad problem to have. Judging by our past drafts, would it be that big of a surprise if they took him if by some miracle he dropped that far? I mean Wilfork wasn't supposed to drop as far as he did either.

I wouldn't be suprised if they did. If he is the best on the board, why not? I believe in the taking the best player available regardless of position. I don't like it when teams select a player based on need instead of value. That is why good teams draft well and bad teams draft because of need and players turn out to be dissapointments. I have never heard of the guy, but I will get very familiar with him come draft time.

Last edited:
The guy I think could be the surprise pick is Joe Staley, OT from Central Michigan. He's an athletic LT prospect, and a former TE. They could groom him to take over for Light, freeing him to be the RT.

It wouldn't shock me.

I think they'll go with josh Gattis (S, Wake Forest) with their second pick, reaching a little. He's been favorably compared to Rodney, and I think he's rated higher than Griffin from Texas.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be suprised if they did. If he is the best on the board, why not? I have never heard of the guy, but I will get very familiar with him come draft time.

Just do a little reading on him. He completely blew up at the Senior Bowl and is skyrocketing up everyone's boards. The combine is yet to come though so things could change alot.

I'm saying maybe it's a possibility that they have no intentions of resigning Warren. Green is a situational pass rush type player, Carriker is an every down type player, to have three quality guys at DE to rotate would not be a bad problem to have. Judging by our past drafts, would it be that big of a surprise if they took him if by some miracle he dropped that far? I mean Wilfork wasn't supposed to drop as far as he did either.

why wouldnt u have intention of resigning warren when he was the defensive MVP?

and Carriker isnt dropping..hes a late 1st..not an early first so "dropping" isnt the term..

Last edited:
The guy I think could be the surprise pick is Joe Staley, OT from Central Michigan. He's an athletic LT prospect, and a former TE. They could groom him to take over for Light, freeing him to be the RT.

It wouldn't shock me.

I don't really care for the idea of moving Light to RT considering the kind of coin we're paying him.

why wouldnt u have intention of resigning warren when he was the defensive MVP?

Too much money? I don't know, it's just a thought. I also said having three DEs like Seymour, Warren and Carriker wouldn't exactly be a horrible problem to have.

Too much money? I don't know, it's just a thought. I also said having three DEs like Seymour, Warren and Carriker wouldn't exactly be a horrible problem to have.

well u never know how much $ he wants till u start negotiating..we have Green whos started a lot ..played great.

you realize DL is our strength? We need an LB badly and then a CB even if Samuel stays.. i would rather take any other position besides QB than to take a DL in round 1..

im pretty sure
1. Carriker wouldnt be happy behind 3 guys
2. Learning 3-4 is difficult..look @ Marquise

BB has mentioned more than once in the fast that good D lineman are the hardest to find because of the size and quickness which is required at the position is unique. So if any such player is available, they will draft him regardless of what green,warren or seymour does or doesnt. They will find a place for a DL if they think he can help us.

well u never know how much $ he wants till u start negotiating..we have Green whos started a lot ..played great.

you realize DL is our strength? We need an LB badly and then a CB even if Samuel stays.. i would rather take any other position besides QB than to take a DL in round 1..

im pretty sure
1. Carriker wouldnt be happy behind 3 guys
2. Learning 3-4 is difficult..look @ Marquise

Yes, I realize that D line is our strength and I think I already mentioned that. We have needed LBs and CBs since Belichick has been here and he has drafted exactly 0 of both in the first round.

I think what we usually see that manifests as "the unexpected," is that the player worth the most versus his draft slot, is the one the Pats will take, regardless of the perception of need. If they see what you see in Carriker at 24, you get your wish... if anything, the Pats are happy to add another D lineman or for that matter, another tight end, any time, any slot, if they perceive the value being there. They've only really been shy of linebackers, but again, that probably reflects perceived value, though maybe you could say the Pats downgrade potential at LB when making their value decisions. I doubt you could go through their stack of cards year after year and never see a linebacker's name -- they're just never available where the Pats think they're worth the pick, I guess.

Long story short? Carriker, sure -- why not?

PFnV

I would not be suprised if they did, it beats another TE. The more you pressure the QB and sack him the better your secondary is.
My only concern is we do need to groom a LB one of these years.

Just do a little reading on him. He completely blew up at the Senior Bowl and is skyrocketing up everyone's boards.
I think the Pats tend to look at more than just one game. Some teams buy into hype, but the Pats tend to stick to a more balanced evaluation (one good game or one poor game is blended into the body of work). Even Wilfork, whom you mentioned and I was ecstatic to see selected by the Pats, wasn't the DL that was getting the hype that year. That was Tommy Harris. And the Ty Warren year, it was Dwayen Robertson and Jimmy Kennedy who were being hyped.

Are you out of your f'in mind?

Yes if bb considers him a top 34 DE. He would replace Hill on the roster.

Last edited:
I think the Pats tend to look at more than just one game. Some teams buy into hype, but the Pats tend to stick to a more balanced evaluation (one good game or one poor game is blended into the body of work). Even Wilfork, whom you mentioned and I was ecstatic to see selected by the Pats, wasn't the DL that was getting the hype that year. That was Tommy Harris. And the Ty Warren year, it was Dwayen Robertson and Jimmy Kennedy who were being hyped.

They can look into any game they would like. He had a very good Junior and Senior season and was being talked about in the first round long before the Senior Bowl. He's going to be a good one.

Are you out of your f'in mind?

Some seem to think so. Then again, we all totally knew they were going to draft two TEs in the first round right? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down