PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Branch were to win the grievance

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
BTW, this is the supposed "deal" the Patriots entered into :

"“The New England Patriots have given Deion Branch permission to seek a trade and negotiate a contract with other clubs. This permission will extend until Sept. 1, 2006.â€"

Where exactly does it say the Patriots would trade him for equal value ? It says the player can negotiate a contract with other clubs and it says he can seek a trade. Nowhere does it say the Patriots have to trade him for "equal value". Based on this wording they can demand five #1s.

If the reports are correct, Chayut states a verbal agreement was also in place. I guess his claim is that the verbal agreement was to allow him to go ahead and broker a deal for his client including "fair compensation" for the Patriots. As I type it, it seems even more laughable than before. This can't possibly be about actually winning this arbitration. They won't and they have to know that. This is about crancking the pressure up to either force the Patriots to make a deal, or for the NFL to step in and help facilitate a deal. Further thought about this makes me think the NFL stepping in seems unlikely. What, the NFL is going to say "Deion, you are worth this many pick(s)"? If they did, who is to say what team will pay it? If it's only the Jets, couldn't the Patriots justifiably say "the Jets are in our division. We will not trade him there for that"? This arbitration thing must be about causing maximum consternation and distraction in the Patriot FO to force a move by them. It just doesn't seem there is any other plausible strategy behind it. I for one don't want his tactics to work. As of now, he can sit on the sidelines missing game checks. Firing his agent will be the only thing that gives him redemption in my eyes. Too bad.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes