PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Branch were to win the grievance

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB15

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
what the hell would happen?

im not saying it is going to happen but I dont understand.. would the pats be forced to trade him for the best offer according to whom

thoughts?

I think the Pats will be forced to trade him to wither the Jets or Seahawks for a second round pick.

But wouldn't the Jets or Seahawks have to still be willing? They aren't a party in the arbitration...

What if they don't care any more?

Never say never. Rember O.J.

Work hard on the Seattle deal and give Deon a one way ticket

out of town.

NEM said:
Never gonna happen. The precedent was set with TO. Branch loses.
not what I asked..

I think they would have to trade him to the Jets based on the likely hood of them giving a higher pick.

This may have been a move that helps both sides. Lets say the Seahawks think maybe Branch wins this then he would have to go to the Jets because their pick is going to likely be higher than Seattle's. Maybe Seattle says the hell with it we would most likely take a receiver with our first pick next year anyway why not swap it for a proven guy. That would trump the Jets #2 only by a few slots and they get the receiver they want and we get a #1 and Branch gets his contract a win - win - win scenario for all three parties.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Actually the precedent wasn't set with TO. There was no decision in his case, which was entirely different and centered on his being penalized because of a mistake his agent made in not filing the necessary paperwork to void the final 3 years of his contract with SF in a timely manner. The league was fearful in that case that an arbitrator might actually agree and grant him FA so the three teams involved (SF, Baltimore and Philly) got together and worked out a deal where he went to Philly. The union was steamed at TO for agreeing to the deal, and warned hm his contract with Philly was not a good deal. As usual he didn't listen.

In this instance the JETS could hardly be forced to re-enter a deal that was rejected before cut down day (or await a decision before moving on). So I assume the remedy would be to penalize the Pats by awarding Branch FA. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

If Deon wins the case, Jeffrey Kessler the NFLPA lawyer wants

the Pats to trade Deon to the Jets for a #2 draft pick. Not the Jets

own pick but a pick they obtained from the Redskins.

If Deon loses the case, Kessler still wants the Pats punished for failure to

negotiate properly.

sounds ******ed..

Remember when Galloway sat out the first 10 games with Seattle, like Branch is threatening to do? Well, Seattle ended up trading Galloway (who never was Super Bowl MVP) for two number 1 draft picks.

So, the fact that the Branch camp filed a grievance because the Patriots wouldn't accept simply a 2nd round pick, from a main AFC East rival, is LAUGHABLE!

There is NO WAY the Patriots can lose this grievance, based on what is known.

It's convenient that the player's agent is using for comparative value two players coming off torn ACLs . . . how about John Abraham who was traded for a #1 . . .

DB15 said:

im not saying it is going to happen but I dont understand.. would the pats be forced to trade him for the best offer according to whom

thoughts?
IMHO, they would be forced to trade him to the Seahawks or Jets. Of course, if those teams know the Pats have to trade Branch, they may give a low-ball offer.

I think the most realistic thing that happens if the Pats lose the grievance is the commissioner (who will no longer be Tagliabue) will come in a broker/impose a deal.

DB15 said:

thoughts?
Arbitration would take the team from the Kraft family and return it to the Sullivans who would cut Brady and sign Deion in his place. They would hire Wannstadt from U of Pittsburgh and he would hire the Syracuse HC to be his DC and Spurrier to be his OC. Then they would trade Watson and Vrabel to Dallas for Bledsoe. After that my vision is too horrifying to reveal...:eek:

MoLewisrocks said:
Actually the precedent wasn't set with TO. There was no decision in his case, which was entirely different and centered on his being penalized because of a mistake his agent made in not filing the necessary paperwork to void the final 3 years of his contract with SF in a timely manner. The league was fearful in that case that an arbitrator might actually agree and grant him FA so the three teams involved (SF, Baltimore and Philly) got together and worked out a deal where he went to Philly. The union was steamed at TO for agreeing to the deal, and warned hm his contract with Philly was not a good deal. As usual he didn't listen.
I think that's what Branch/Chayut want to have happen here. Instead of going to an arbitrater, they would probably love to have someone come in and broker (impose?) a trade of the Pats.

I'd love to be in the room when the Patriots' attorney explains that Culpepper and Walker were both coming off torn ACLs.

All this discussion including the imposing/brokering of a settlement is precisely what I was saying in several posts. All it takes is recognizing that the Pats empowered Chayut to act as their agent as well as Branch's in arranging a deal.Except they withheld the right fro Chayut to set the compensation to the Pats.

The doofus Jets recognized him as an Agent and made satisfactory monetary offers sufficient to Chayut say "We got a deal" The only thing the Pats did not authorize is Chayut to determine compensation. They said it must be "reasonable". What is "reasonable"? Why what the pre-negotiated rate or a player of the caliber to be paid as a franchise level player at his position. Thats "reasonable". That is 2 #1 picks. The Jets stepped on the their doinks when they started dealing with Chayut about a player still under contract.

As for determining value, it helps that there is a predetermined, pre-negotiated compensation and a precedent from an earlier very similar situation.( the Galloway precedent)

When the lawyers get done with all their baloney It will finally dawn on them that it is easiest to just follow the Law and precedent.

The Pats will (eventually) get 2 #1 draft picks ...

AzPatsFan said:
The Pats will (eventually) get 2 #1 draft picks ...
You're such a tease . . . you're killing us here :)

Keep beating the two pick drum like a dead horse, but understand it is not going to happen. The Pats aren't even asking that for him. He is not a franchise tag player even if he makes the salary of one. What part of that can you not get your head around? There are lots of franchise guys who have been traded for a lot less while receiving more than the franchise salary from their new team. Salary doesn't determine the compensation. It is subjective (which is why Branch will lose that argument) and varies often depending on whether the player is traded within a conference or division and where the trading team believes the acquiring team may end up draft wise at seasons end, why the player is being moved and just how motivated the trading team is to move the player.

All you guys must be ******ed to.:rolleyes: Why ask for opinions if you are going to call some of them ******ed?

BTW, this is the supposed "deal" the Patriots entered into :

"“The New England Patriots have given Deion Branch permission to seek a trade and negotiate a contract with other clubs. This permission will extend until Sept. 1, 2006.â€"

Where exactly does it say the Patriots would trade him for equal value ? It says the player can negotiate a contract with other clubs and it says he can seek a trade. Nowhere does it say the Patriots have to trade him for "equal value". Based on this wording they can demand five #1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back