PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Branch was worth $6M a year plus a 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If Branch was worth $6M a year plus a 1st, how much is Moss worth?

We were ready to pay Branch $6M per year instead of trading him. If we could get Moss for $6M-$8M a year on a five year contract, I think we'd make the deal in a minute for Seatle's first.

The problem is that Moss will essentially be a free agent after this year, given his 2007 salary of $11.7M and may not want to sign a long-term deal until after the season.

Branch was worth $6M/year + a 1st to a stupid, desperate team. Using his value as a baseline is not a good start.

Branch was worth $6M a year to the patriots who offered him that much in his extension. We would have happily passed on the first and kept him, and that was the patriots offer at the time. Perhaps they would ahve added more at the last minute.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Branch was worth $6M/year + a 1st to a stupid, desperate team. Using his value as a baseline is not a good start.

mgteich said:
Branch was worth $6M a year to the patriots who offered him that much in his extension. We would have happily passed on the first and kept him, and that was the patriots offer at the time. Perhaps they would ahve added more at the last minute.
But your claim is he's worth $6M and a #1. He's not. He was worth $6M a year to the Patriots but not that AND a #1. Your question is flawed because Seattle overpaid. Badly.

mgteich said:
If Branch was worth $6M a year plus a 1st, how much is Moss worth?

We were ready to pay Branch $6M per year instead of trading him. If we could get Moss for $6M-$8M a year on a five year contract, I think we'd make the deal in a minute for Seatle's first.
1) Branch was not worth $6 mil plus a first. Would you give up a first to get him back and pay him $6 mil? Neither would I.

2) Moss is worth less to the Pats than Branch was, IMO. If you remember the Pioli's concept of not collecting talented players, but building a team, I think that Branch was worth more to the Pats than Moss, even though Moss is undoubtably more talented at what he does.

Branch is worth what the Seahawks paid him, both in terms of draft pick compensation and monetary value. Whether he plays commensurate to what the Seahawks paid him is another story altogether but his value has been demonstratably established; it's what another team was willing to pay him.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Branch is worth what the Seahawks paid him, both in terms of draft pick compensation and monetary value. Whether he plays commensurate to what the Seahawks paid him is another story altogether but his value has been demonstratably established; it's what another team was willing to pay him.
No he isn't worth it. I could go out and buy a Camry for $100K . . . does that make a Camry worth $100K ?

Just heard during Seahawks game Branch said "Seattles WR's are better then what he had when he was in N.E." I wonder if he meant ever or this current season.

BelichickFan said:
No he isn't worth it. I could go out and buy a Camry for $100K . . . does that make a Camry worth $100K ?
If it was the only Camry left to buy and it was in demand then yes.

In the case of Branch there are no other Branch's to buy so his value has been set by what another team paid for him. Simple economics here, BF.

Bobs My Uncle said:
If it was the only Camry left to buy and it was in demand then yes.

In the case of Branch there are no other Branch's to buy so his value has been set by what another team paid for him. Simple economics here, BF.
If you look at it one dimensionally for this season, yes. Once we've used Seattle's #1 pick and his cap hit is less than a millon, plus being able to re-sign Koppen with 2/3 of The Twig's money and it looks different.

yes, Branch's value to a Seattle was 6M + a 1st. Just like the last Camry in Seattle might be worth 100K.

But if you own one of 1,000 Camrys in New England you don't sell it by saying that a Camry went for 100K in Seattle. The guy in NE will tell you that whoever paid 100K in Seattle was an idiot and he'll go buy one from someone else.

as I said, stupid and desperate.

Last edited:
TomBrady'sGoat said:
Long term you will be proven to be correct.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
yes, Branch's value to a Seattle was 6M + a 1st. Just like the last Camry in Seattle might be worth 100K.

But if you own one of 1,000 Camrys in New England you don't sell it by saying that a Camry went for 100K in Seattle. The guy in NE will tell you that whoever paid 100K in Seattle was an idiot and he'll go buy one from someone else.

He won't buy it from anyone else if there are no others to buy.

That's the point. There is only 1 Deion Branch and the Seahawks set the value for him by paying him what they did. Now time will tell if they were right or wrong but the value for Branch was set by the Seahawks when they offered up a 1st to the Pats and then signed him to whatever money they signed him to.

BelichickFan said:

It made that Camry worth 100k at that moment in time.

$6mm a year? Arguably. $6mm per year AND a first round pick? NO way in hell. Seattle will regret that trade very soon (if not already).

Bobs My Uncle said:
He won't buy it from anyone else if there are no others to buy.

That's the point. There is only 1 Deion Branch and the Seahawks set the value for him by paying him what they did. Now time will tell if they were right or wrong but the value for Branch was set by the Seahawks when they offered up a 1st to the Pats and then signed him to whatever money they signed him to.

huh? the whole reason we originally objected to Branch's value being quoted as $6M + a 1st is that it was being used as a baseline off of which to judge another guy's value, Randy Moss. Moss and other receivers are the other Camrys in this analogy.

There are a lot of receivers out there better than Deion Branch, and each one of their agents will quote Deion's deal in their negotiations. Any halfway intelligent front office will laugh at them and say that Seattle was desperate and stupid, and therefore Branch's deal is a bad comparison.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
huh? the whole reason we originally objected to Branch's value being quoted as $6M + a 1st is that it was being used as a baseline off of which to judge another guy's value, Randy Moss. Moss and other receivers are the other Camrys in this analogy.

There are a lot of receivers out there better than Deion Branch, and each one of their agents will quote Deion's deal in their negotiations. Any halfway intelligent front office will laugh at them and say that Seattle was desperate and stupid, and therefore Branch's deal is a bad comparison.
If Branch performs at a sufficient enough level to help the Seahawks win the SB I highly doubt any team will question what they paid for Deion. Isn't that the reason why they traded for him?

Keep in mind that I'm debunking the assertion that Branch's value wasn't set when the Seahawks made their offer. It was, obviously, regardless of whether or not it proves to be inflated or deflated when all is said and done.

assigning his value to be what they paid for him is a slippery slope. does that mean that, had deion been a good boy and played out his contract, that he'd have been worth just $1M? Does that mean that Bruschi is only worth 2.5M or whatever he makes? So Stephen Neal is more valuable than Laurence Maroney because he makes more money?

the way i approach it is that guys are overpaid and underpaid. Common reasons for guys being underpaid are outperforming their contracts (especially rookie deals) and taking a hometown discount. Reasons for being overpaid include bidding wars and desperation to "win now." Stupidity is a common reason on both sides.

I don't know if $6M/yr is overpaying for deion. I feel very confident that giving up $6M/yr and a 1st round pick is overpaying for him.

Seattle was smart to overpay for Deion as long as their goal is to win now. If their goal is to win both now and 5 years from now then it wasn't such a good idea.

What's twig's value to patriots? to seahawks?

BelichickFan said:
Long term you will be proven to be correct.
i believe it was the august jimmuh johnson who said that when a high-profile FA switches teams, the team he leaves loses more than the team getting him gains.
tom brady loses a lot more: a speedy receiver he's worked with for 4 years. seahawks gain: a tiny WR with good speed and good hands who knows nobody.

Yes, if Deon helps Seattle wins the 2007 Superbowl.

Also, if the Patriots cannot resolve their wide receiver situation

and are eliminated early in the playoffs, losing Deon was a BB/Pioli

mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back