PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Branch and Chayut continue this hardline approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
but why would the Bengals want to change their success? their O is fine...could use a TE maybe if anything offensivly. Branch is a #1. Can be a #1 else where aswell. Why dont we approach other teams then too? We wont approach anything until Branch decides to hold out during season or gets more serious..right now i thinks its a decent issue. Why would we TRADE Brady's best friend and favorite target unless it gets to point where he wont play the season.

Remix 6 said:
Eventually Branch will get here. i dont view Deion as the holdout guy and he said he was gonna play out his contract. I honestly think his agent is doing all this. Branch just listened to him and is a little confident in what agent is trying to do.

How are you so sure that Branch will eventually get there? Are you that moron Jason Chayut? Since you missed it, the AGENT is Branch's representative. That means that what the agent does is what Branch does. Here's a newsflash for you. Branch's agent told the Pats to F**K off regarding their contract offer and didn't bother to send them an offer in return. He told the Pats that his client would be holding out. The Pats said that they expected Branch in camp and that if he didn't come to camp, the offer would be off the table. And, Chayut even said that he expected the Pats to fine Branch to the fullest extent. And, right now, Branch has already kissed 98K away. That is over 13% of his take home for this year on his current contract.

and your positive Branch's agents didnt return an offer? Maybe our offer was low..and Chayut said "X amount is where we will start talking" and chances are Patriots are still aiming for the lower price

Remix 6 said:
but why would the Bengals want to change their success? their O is fine...could use a TE maybe if anything offensivly. Branch is a #1. Can be a #1 else where aswell. Why dont we approach other teams then too? We wont approach anything until Branch decides to hold out during season or gets more serious..right now i thinks its a decent issue. Why would we TRADE Brady's best friend and favorite target unless it gets to point where he wont play the season.

Let's see. The chance to add a SB MVP caliber player for their #2 WR. Can you do the math? I hope so.

I never said anything about NOT approaching other teams.

As Brady said, this is a business. His friendship with Branch is no different than Brady's friendship wth Milloy. It will last after one or the other is gone from the team. They move on.

The ONLY way Branch stays with this team beyond this season is if he fires Chayut, hires someone like Parker, apologizes to management and gets his arse into camp. That is the only way I see him playing on this team this year.

Remix 6 said:
and your positive Branch's agents didnt return an offer? Maybe our offer was low..and Chayut said "X amount is where we will start talking" and chances are Patriots are still aiming for the lower price

YES, I am positive. He even said he didn't send back an offer. Maybe you should read the articles more carefully.

He said that his client would be holding out of camp and that the only way his client would be in camp would be if Branch wasn't franchised next off-season.

The Patriots sent an intial offer. That is always the lower end of what they believe to be the fair market value of a player. Its how negotiations work.

If we could get the new WR to sign an appropriate contract I would certainly trade him. For TJ or also for Jerry Porter, again, if the new WR played the contract game. I would also trade Branch for draft picks if we could then swing one to Denver for Lelie but pocket, say, a #2 for ourselves. A #2 and #4 for Branch then dish the #4 for Lelie for example.

im sure Articles are always 100% on especially with our organization. we odnt release a lot of this kind of ****

A Branch for TJ trade makes great sense for the Pats and no sense for the Bengals. They would never even consider it. They have TJ under contract for 3 more years of a deal that was reported when it was signed as 4 years, 13 million.

Why on earth would they deal him for the chance to extend Deion and pay him more money this year than they would pay TJ for the next 3?

Does that sound like something Mike Brown's team would do?

DaBruinz said:
How are you so sure that Branch will eventually get there? Are you that moron Jason Chayut? Since you missed it, the AGENT is Branch's representative. That means that what the agent does is what Branch does. Here's a newsflash for you. Branch's agent told the Pats to F**K off regarding their contract offer and didn't bother to send them an offer in return. He told the Pats that his client would be holding out. The Pats said that they expected Branch in camp and that if he didn't come to camp, the offer would be off the table. And, Chayut even said that he expected the Pats to fine Branch to the fullest extent. And, right now, Branch has already kissed 98K away. That is over 13% of his take home for this year on his current contract.

Just give Branch the 5 day letter...Report now or come back in a year...

Last edited by a moderator:
aabtec said:

The 5 day letter only exists for players who reported and than leave. Since Branch never reported, it doesn't apply to him.

aabtec said:
Can they do that and not give him the option of sitting out until week 10 then coming back to accrue a year ? If so I'm fine with it, I've lost patience with the guy.

I think everyone's edgy that Branch hasn't reported for work yet. And i think the worry is justified. But we won't get anywhere by just snapping at each other. I'm sure the Pats are exploring options but they are really hoping that Branch will come around.

Right now this situation reminds me a lot about Milloy. Except that Milloy wanted 4.5m per... Branch is turning away 6.3m per. I wonder what he really wants. 8m per year??

I remember the Pats cut Milloy but they had already signed Harrison. It was going to be the tandem of Milloy and Harrison but Milloy got greedy and that's how it turned out.

Perhaps Caldwell is to Branch what Harrison was to Milloy?
Hoping Branch shows up for work but I'm not holding my breath.
Fortunately Caldwell has been looking real good in camp.

I'd love to have BOTH Branch and Caldwell, but we'll just see what happens. When a player tries to bend this team over a barrel, usually it's the player that ends up out the door.

Remix 6 said:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Now, I find pft more accurate than not, especially when it comes to contracts (Florio is a lawyer by trade).

According to Chayut, Deion was offered an 3 year extension for 18 million. That's not exactly chump change. Chayut refused it out of hand because it didn't pay Deion more $ for 2006.

I hope Deion enjoys being franchised the next two seasons.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Now, I find pft more accurate than not, especially when it comes to contracts (Florio is a lawyer by trade).

According to Chayut, Deion was offered an 3 year extension for 18 million. That's not exactly chump change. Chayut refused it out of hand because it didn't pay Deion more $ for 2006.

I hope Deion enjoys being franchised the next two seasons.

It appears as if we can believe that the Patriots offered 18MM in new money, with a good deal of it (at lkeast 9MM) guaranteed.

That said, it seems to me (as pointed out in PFT) that it is a huge risk for Deion to come back, possibly get injured and end up playing 2007 on a "prove you recoverd" type contract.

Deion is getting some very bad advise it seems on this basis alone.

fgssand said:
It appears as if we can believe that the Patriots offered 18MM in new money, with a good deal of it (at lkeast 9MM) guaranteed.

That said, it seems to me (as pointed out in PFT) that it is a huge risk for Deion to come back, possibly get injured and end up playing 2007 on a "prove you recoverd" type contract.

Deion is getting some very bad advise it seems on this basis alone.

I agree with you completely. But are we placing a little to much blame on the wrong person? Yes it's the agent's job to negotiate the contract, but doesn't he work for Branch?

fgssand said:
This is what confuses me.

When you are an ironman who never gets hurt, never misses a game, then it makes sense to play out your year and go for the big bucks.

When you are not durable, when your team holds you out of preseason games for fear you will get hurt, then it behooves you to get your money now, before you get hurt and ruin any chance of getting ANY more more.

You bank a little less money now as insurance against getting nothing later on.

DefenseRules said:
I agree with you completely. But are we placing a little to much blame on the wrong person? Yes it's the agent's job to negotiate the contract, but doesn't he work for Branch?
Of course it's Branch's fault but in today's politically correct, "always someone else's fault" society there's always someone else to blame.

F YOU Branch, get your butt into camp.

BelichickFan said:
Of course it's Branch's fault but in today's politically correct, "always someone else's fault" society there's always someone else to blame.

F YOU Branch, get your butt into camp.
I agree...but there is not anyone to blame except himself...the agent WORKS for the player...so one HAS TO assume that whatever Chayut says does..is what Branch wants him to..the "Poor Deion" tour continues..my hunch is the tour may end soon..but maybe not like he has planned..there will be NO finale...just a petering out..as the Patriots go a different road...I DO prefict soon that will happen..

The way contracts are, I don't think anything you read or hear can be totally believed.

I also believe that both branch and the team want something to get done. I don't think branch would risk $14,000 a day just to skip camp.

That brings up the question, why isn't he in camp, why hasn't he signed? The Patriots are in the position that they cannot do the following:

1. Overpay anyone, especially someone who is somewhat fragile. Sure, branch is our #1 reciever, but he wouldn't be a #1 reciever on a lot of teams. Yes, Brady and branch have a good relationship, but if neccessary, Brady can develop a relationship with another reciever. Overpaying players handcuffs the entire team.

2. Start a precedent. Seymour is the best in the league at his position, branch is not in the top 15. The Patriots cannot get in the habit of redoing contracts early or dishing out however much money it takes just to keep someone. Giving in to branch's holdout and overpaying him is a precedent the Patriots can't afford to set. It would affect the Patriots ability to keep what is usually referred to as "a strong middle class". While there are plenty of teams out there willing to overpay for everything, the Patriots should not be one of them.

I am sure branch's agent is pushing hard for him to hold out and try gouging the Patriots. If the agent can show that he can get the Patriots to overpay for his client it will mean more business for him, in addition to his cut. However, I agree that branch is responsible for what he does, and not his agent.

Being franchised (which the Pats should have the cap space to do) would hurt him pretty severely, especially if he misses games due to injury and gets the rep as a malcontent. I see no reason why if he holds out like this that the Pats shouldn't franchise him.

Please do not read into this that I don't think branch is valuable to the Patriots or that he is not an awesome wide reciever. I also do not believe he is a horrible person based on his hold out. I just feel based on what we have seen and heard (probably not too reliable) that he is wrong to holdout, but every person has to make their own decisions. I also believe the Patriots are doing exactly what is neccessary to stay a competitive team for the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back