PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brady had to have a season ending ACL tear in the regular season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If this was an injury just meant to be then I think Patriots Nation and the whole organization should feel lucky that this happened to Brady when it did -In the first quarter of the first game of 2008.

Imagine this happening in the middle of the season like in mid november when the Patriots were in decent shape and their record was good and on a roll,then the injury happens meaning Cassel would have suddenly been thrown into the spotlight,Brady would have been out for what most likely is a full year including rehabilitation and might have not been back till the middle of the FOLLOWING season.

Its horrible that this happened but if it was eventually going to happen then having it early in the season is the best scenario - Brady having to miss all of Camp and Preseason next year and the first 5 or more regular season games in 2009 would have been very hard to overcome.

At least we can be pretty self assured that if Brady gets this surgery done next week and rests it for months and starts to rehab he could actually be in Training camp or at least play a preseason game to get ready for next year and this will give Cassel all the experience he will need if the team is to make a run at the playoffs and I think it would not have been that way if Cassel was surprised and had to start say in week 8 or 9.

Last edited:
Re: If Brady had to have a season ending ACL tear in the regular season....

I would rather throw cassel into the fire now, rather than throw him into the fire in the patriots first playoff game.

I do agree that the beginning of the season is a better time to lose a key player like Brady than in the middle or the end of the season. Gives the Pats plenty time to adjust and get the train rolling.

The Kevin O'Connell draft pick and the Lamont Jordan & Deltha O'Neal signings are looking huge right now.

- Belichick took steps to really improve ST's.

- Belichick took steps to upgrade the Linebackers.

- Belichick took step in Jordan to beef up the RB's.

- Terrance Wheatley & Deltha O'Neal shore up the Samuel loss.

- Belichick takes a 1st/2nd round caliber QB in the 3rd round.

- Belichick brings dom Capers on board to help the defense.

- Bruschi, Seymour and Harrsion all looking very healthy right now (knock on wood).

Lots of good stuff Belichick did while remaining under the cap to strengthen the team in many areas. could each strength help negate the Brady loss ... very possibly and we'll see.

I say (IMO) the loss of Brady may ... and a big may ...
mean 1 or 2 extra losses this year which should not hurt our playoff chances.

Last edited:

Yea, I do agree with that. If Brady wasn't meant to play this season, it's best it happened when it did. If they were say rolling the same way they were last year, this injury would be that much more difficult to take in. I can't wait to see #12 back on the field, but until then still gonna root for this team just as hard.

Last edited:

I do agree that the beginning of the season is a better time to lose a key player like Brady than in the middle or the end of the season. Gives the Pats plenty time to adjust and get the train rolling.

Its not only that,but if you look at the BIG PICTURE,I see a Brady walking without any pain or discomfort hopefully by the end of May 2009 which is a normal recovery time for an ACL - Could be longer but this is best case scenerio - Then he gets fuly ready for Camp

If Brady goes down in the middle of this season you look at the team destructing by suddenly being off course and having a tough time opening next season for several games until he eventually gets back

The injury timing was best case scenerio if it had to be dealt in the cards.

Actually, if you assume a 12 month recovery, it would have been far better for the injury to happen mid-season. That would likely have guaranteed the playoffs for both years AND have Brady ready for the playoffs in the second year.

Actually, if you assume a 12 month recovery, it would have been far better for the injury to happen mid-season. That would likely have guaranteed the playoffs for both years AND have Brady ready for the playoffs in the second year.

I think with guys like Brady who are tough as nails sometimes determination and rigorous rehab would have him back and walking normally in hopefully 9 months.

Brady is special when it comes to a professional athlete's training regiments and if ANY athlete is going to try and work his hardest to get back the quickest its Brady

I say by early summer he is jogging again

This of course goes by the assumption that the surgery will be taking place next week and not delayed any which could delay TC next season for him to attend.

Last edited:

Yeah - it'd really suck if we had 13 or 14 wins and were all set with the bye and home field advantage in the playoffs and have Brady go down.

Wait, no it wouldn't!

It's not a 12 month recovery. Carson Palmer suffered a similar injury in the 2005-6 playoffs and was ready to go by the next season. Brady is a lot older than Palmer was at the time (he'll be 31 vs. Palmer being 24 or 25), but I don't see why the recovery times wouldn't be similar. He'll be ready by next September.

I'm actually half-excited about this season. It's just a game, just entertainment. And this will be, at the very least, entertaining.

I dont know if I could've handled almost realizing my playoff hopes only to have them dashed with Brady going down. Not saying Casell couldn't do a good job, but so close to the playoffs and with no real experience at that point I'd be pretty scared. At least he's going to get plenty of time to get in synch with this offense since the injury happened so early. :(

Yeah - it'd really suck if we had 13 or 14 wins and were all set with the bye and home field advantage in the playoffs and have Brady go down.

Wait, no it wouldn't!

If you think team chemistry can be handled in late december or january and just pull a guy holding a clipboard on the sidelines to come in to replace the starting QB and expect the team to continue gel without running off course you are mistaken

Teams that have won the Super Bowl lately are teams that were on a roll going into the playoffs - none of those teams had to suddenly switch QBs which IMO would kill any momentum.

IF Cassel lasts as #1 QB till week 14 and IF he does not stink up the field and we are still in the playoff hunt then he should have enough chemistry between him and the whole offense to proceed into the playoffs on course.

It's not a 12 month recovery. Carson Palmer suffered a similar injury in the 2005-6 playoffs and was ready to go by the next season. Brady is a lot older than Palmer was at the time (he'll be 31 vs. Palmer being 24 or 25), but I don't see why the recovery times wouldn't be similar. He'll be ready by next September.

I'm actually half-excited about this season. It's just a game, just entertainment. And this will be, at the very least, entertaining.

Palmer hasn't been the same since, though. I'd rather see Brady take longer to recover and be near 100% than come back too fast and lose 20-30% the way Palmer seems to have done.

I agree,As a football fan I just am glad it is back,It sucks to have my favorite teams all world QB gone but that does not take away the fact that I love the game of football no matter whether the Pats will suck now or not

I lived though the Pats season of 1990 and 1991 and if that is the case this year so be it

I will watch the game and just hope the Pats can stay in the race although my SB aspirations were gone the minute Brady's knee hit the turf last sunday and I expect AT THE VERY BEST no more than a wild card and one and done - Hope I am wrong

Last edited:

Palmer hasn't been the same since, though. I'd rather see Brady take longer to recover and be near 100% than come back too fast and lose 20-30% the way Palmer seems to have done.

I think the problem with Palmer is he wasn't ever quite as good as some folks believed and he wasn't remotely capable of running/managingegos in a dysfunctional offense in a dysfunctional organization with a non existent defense.

I think the problem with Palmer is he wasn't ever quite as good as some folks believed and he wasn't remotely capable of running/managingegos in a dysfunctional offense in a dysfunctional organization with a non existent defense.

I certainly viewed him differently than you seem to have done. Palmer put up seasons with QB ratings of 101.1 and 93.9 in his second and third seasons. He was the #3 QB in the NFL, behind only Manning and Brady in my eyes.

I certainly viewed him differently than you seem to have done. Palmer put up seasons with QB ratings of 101.1 and 93.9 in his second and third seasons. He was the #3 QB in the NFL, behind only Manning and Brady in my eyes.
Yeah, but in your eyes, Gutierrez the Unclaimed is better than Cassel. :bricks:

Yeah, but in your eyes, Gutierrez the Unclaimed is better than Cassel. :bricks:

:confused: Did you not see a single QB post I made during the exhibition season?

:confused: Did you not see a single QB post I made during the exhibition season?

I agree with your statement - You and I have come to many a disagreement over the past few weeks as I say Cassel sucks and you defended him

On one hand,..
In my heart as a Pats fan I want to see Matt flourish and carry this team on his back

In my brain it says he will hold the ball too long as he always does,will get sacked way too often and will throw into triple coverage constantly,will throw his patented uncatchable flying ducks and have 25 or more INTS on the year - thats what my brain says

Brain vs. Heart - can't wait for the confrontation and see who wins

Last edited:

Not only will the new QB (Cassel or whoever) get time to become comfortable with the offense, but also remember how young our defense is. This whole season will be a growing process and by the end of the year (hopefully the playoffs), we will see a team that is exponentially better on both sides of the ball.

And we won our first game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes