PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If BB Decides For a RB . . . Cedric Benson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If BB Decides For a RB . . .

I'd rather get Sproles or Addai over Benson. I can't really defend taking sproles but for some reason i think he would be a good fit. It also seems like Benson has a bit of a fumbling problem.

Benson doesn't pass the eye test to me, I do not think he is that good a player, combined that with his attitude and I say Pass. DeAngelo Williams is a free agent, I believe. He would be an amazing upgrade at running back but is likely going to cost a lot of money so I don't know how practical signing him is. Outside of that is the draft. We have 3 of the top 33 picks, personally I want Mark Ingram. The kid from Illinios is a good player as well.

Pierre Thomas.

I'd rather get Sproles or Addai over Benson. I can't really defend taking sproles but for some reason i think he would be a good fit. It also seems like Benson has a bit of a fumbling problem.

The Patriots already have a productive player like Sproles in the form of Woodhead and one who comes at a much cheaper price.

Ingram is an option but it remains to be seen if he gets by Miami at 15.

Last edited:

The fumbling problem is only this year, and that was born out of frustration for the pass happy Bengals . . . who couldn't pass the ball due to inept playcalling.

He's the guy who'll fight for every yard. He ran all over the AFC North in 09, single handedly sweeping the division.

He ran all over the RAVENS AND STEELERS. Under a horrible O-line.

Last edited:

Belichick will hopefully give Owen Marecic , 6'1" - 245lbs - a look in the draft. Not only a very decent FB but also an excellant tackler and blocker that could be used in ST play. I am fine the Benny and Danny for this offense ... no need to waste a high pick on a runner.

Owen Marecic | Stanford, FB : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Marecic does have versatility that BB likes.. And at 6'0 3/8" and 246 lbs and 32 1/4" arms, he should make a good FB and Short-yardage guy. Kinda like Lousaka Polite or John Kuhn.

With Faulk, Taylor and Morris all UFA, there are 3 RB spot available on the team.

The Pats have Woodhead and BJGE as well as Eric Kettani (FB)(if he's completed his Naval commitment), and Clayton (if he's been signed to a future's contract). So there are still 3 spots to fill.. I have no doubt that BB will add a guy via free agency, but I don't see it being someone to replace BJGE as the starter. I would also expect Faulk back if he doesn't retire. If he does, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-round draft pick.

Ideally:
Benny
Woody
Pierre Thomas
Delone Carter
Owen Marecic

Don't tell me that wouldn't be awesome :cool:

Benson doesn't pass the eye test to me, I do not think he is that good a player, combined that with his attitude and I say Pass. DeAngelo Williams is a free agent, I believe. He would be an amazing upgrade at running back but is likely going to cost a lot of money so I don't know how practical signing him is. Outside of that is the draft. We have 3 of the top 33 picks, personally I want Mark Ingram. The kid from Illinios is a good player as well.

I'd like DeAngelo too.

But what the heck does "pass the eye test" matter? Half this team didn't pass the eye test. From Brady to Welker to Woody to Lawfirm to Arrington to Guyton and many others, it's obvious that the eye test is a pretty useless way to measure a player.

I'd like DeAngelo too.

But what the heck does "pass the eye test" matter? Half this team didn't pass the eye test. From Brady to Welker to Woody to Lawfirm to Arrington to Guyton and many others, it's obvious that the eye test is a pretty useless way to measure a player.
DeAngelo Williams is as big an upgrade as Tom Brady is to Mark Sanchez... and I like the Law-Firm. Big run potential and a north-south runner.

2 bruisers as the complimentary backs with Woodhead/Faulk combo if needed. Pipe dream I know.

Last edited:

I'd like DeAngelo too.

"Unlike them" Benson is a very gifted athlete. When I say pass the eye test I mean I don't believe hes a very good football player.

"Unlike them" Benson is a very gifted athlete. When I say pass the eye test I mean I don't believe hes a very good football player.

Gotcha, I misunderstood.

Belichick will hopefully give Owen Marecic , 6'1" - 245lbs - a look in the draft. Not only a very decent FB but also an excellant tackler and blocker that could be used in ST play. I am fine the Benny and Danny for this offense ... no need to waste a high pick on a runner.

Owen Marecic*|*Stanford,*FB*:*2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

The day BB drafts a FB is the year he drafts a 1st round OLB. Which is almost never.

Deangelo Williams would work quite nicely. And he's coming off a bad year so he might be got a little cheaper in free agency than he normall would.
When Healthy though, the guy has put up 3 straight 5.0 ypc seasons.
http://www.nfl.com/players/deangelowilliams/careerstats?id=WIL221323

Last edited:

You'd might have to go back to 2007, unless you wanted to count that game against the Bills in 2008.

I can't recall any game where Brady didn't lead the offense in 07.. 50 TD's from a QB and we had a RB carry us when the defense keyed on Brady? hmmm

08? The year Brady went out? Maroney was horrible and Faulk was our feature back most of the time. While I love Faulk, and one of my favorites of all time, he never took over a game..

I can't recall any game where Brady didn't lead the offense in 07.. 50 TD's from a QB and we had a RB carry us when the defense keyed on Brady? hmmm

08? The year Brady went out? Maroney was horrible and Faulk was our feature back most of the time. While I love Faulk, and one of my favorites of all time, he never took over a game..

In '07, Maroney took over the S.D. game in the playoffs. It was the last of a good stretch of games for him. As for 2008, it's tough to say Maroney was anything, since he was trying to play with a broken shoulder and ended up only playing 3 games.

YouTube - JacQuizz Rodgers For Heisman

My RB binky. He's different from Woodhead. Not as fast, more burst, elusiveness, can be more than 3rd down back.
I really like this kid. I think he is the closest thing to home run threat in the draft.

Last edited:

YouTube - JacQuizz Rodgers For Heisman

My RB binky. He's different from Woodhead. Not as fast, more burst, elusiveness, can be more than 3rd down back.
I really like this kid. I think he is the closest thing to home run threat in the draft.

He's going to make a great 3rd down back or even a WR in the Percy Harvin role. He's not an NFL feature back, but he is going to be electric with the ball. WR/RB hybrid?

He's going to make a great 3rd down back or even a WR in the Percy Harvin role. He's not an NFL feature back, but he is going to be electric with the ball. WR/RB hybrid?

Yeah he's not a feature back in the NFL. However, he had a big workload in college against good teams so I think he could handle being a change of pace/#2 back. BJGE+Jacquizz would resemble Jones+Charles IMO.

Only negative is if BJGE got injured could Jacquizz/Woodhead carry the load if needed until he came back, I couldn't see it.

Last edited:

Well wonder if he will take a RB in the first round. As it would be nice to have one that not just runs the ball. But also can catch and maybe block as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back