PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

IF Asante leaves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

notex

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I think we should pick up Marcus Trufant. i saw somewhere that he was an unrestricted FA....

I think we should pick up Marcus Trufant. i saw somewhere that he was an unrestricted FA....

It is a good suggestion, but for what Trufant will cost we might as well
pay a little extra and resign Asante !

what do you mean if?:) i would say assante is already packing. i also think trufant is looking for big bucks.

It is a good suggestion, but for what Trufant will cost we might as well
pay a little extra and resign Asante !
he had a better season then samuel he will want just as much as samuel it will never heppen look for us to get ty law if he will take less money if not we will pick up some vet and add a 3ard or 4th round CB from the draft

Bot happening with MT...Asante wants teh big bicks...not happening here..I had hoped he might stay, but he's going for the green...

I haven't paid any attention to Samuel ... he's not coming back IMO.

I haven't paid any attention to Samuel ... he's not coming back IMO.

Yeah, let him go. Hes looking for the 80+ million Nate Clements contract.I have a feeling after he gets paid his productivity will drop....Dont get me wrong, I love Asante for what hes contributed to our team, but I think hes out of his mind. Let some other team pay Asante $80 million, because Id be outraged if the Pats did. IMHO, the only corner the NFL right now worth a huge contract like that is Antonio Cromartie. Its also highly unlikely that Seattle wont franchise Trufant. I'm hoping for the Pats to trade down that #1 pick and nab a decent corner mid first round. As a poster said on an earlier forum, Id also prefer that to be Jenkins, Cason, or McKelvin...and not Talib. Talib best in cover2 and the others better for Zone. I really like Antoine Cason.

I don't think this is a question of "IF." Asante Samuel is going to get a lot of money--and, more money than the Pats will pay--to play somewhere else next season.

i guess the IF could be subsituited with WHEN...but i was under the impression that trufant might come a little cheaper considering he isnt has high profile/ didnt play for the patriots...

Yea, let's sink big bucks into a cover 2 DB who was exposed in every other format.

If Asante leaves can Hobbs play his spot on the left side (defensive)?

I think what has been lost is... if Asante does leave who takes his spot?

Is Hobbs the most likely candidate? Do they flip flop Hobbs to the top corner spot?

Or would you just put Gay in there? As I recall in the Eagles SB when he was a starter he lined up in Hobbs spot?

Do you want a rookie playing on that spot where the best wr typically lines up?

Do you really want someone playing the top wr spot that hasn't been in the defense before?

Re: If Asante leaves can Hobbs play his spot on the left side(defensive)?

Teams were lining up their best receiver against Hobbs b/c of Asante's preference to remain on that side. So I don't really think it matters, teams are going to target who they think is the weaker of the two, but as many posters have pointed out, Hobbs and Asante's respective performances this season were closer than most would think.

As I just said in another thread, I think CB is actually less of a worry than one might think, as I don't think either Asante or Hobbs is responsible for the lapses in coverage that led to our demise.

Last edited:
Trufant played well in his contract year, he'll also want a lot of money, and there's a possibility he could still be franchised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back