Not open for further replies.
WelcometothaRazor said:
What's a Seahawk?

In Seattle, we are always glad to help. :D

Seahawk

Seahawk_main.jpg

Another Seahawk

avsehwk1.jpg

i knew there was a helicopter called a seahawk, but i didnt think thats what the team was named after.....whaddya know??

WelcometothaRazor said:
i knew there was a helicopter called a seahawk, but i didnt think thats what the team was named after.....whaddya know??

I don't think there is actually a bird called a seahawk. I think it's a made up thing, but I could be wrong. I think they wanted a cool name, and since Seattle considers itself a maritime city, they came up with that. Ya know, like the old Seattle Pilots (could be a ship pilot or because of Boeing...) or the Seattle Mariners, etc... and they have SeaFair out here, and all kinds of other stuff, so...

Ahhhh... here we go...

Nickname:
The nickname Seahawks was the result of a fan contest that drew 20,365 entries and suggested 1,742 different names. Seahawks was suggested by 151 entrants and judged by the team ownership as the best choice.

Logo:
A Native American totem style hawk with a fierce look. The top half of the hawk's body is a dark blue, and the bottom is a lighter blue. The hawk's beak and face are also dark blue, with a neon green eye.

Na_polian said:
Ahhhh... here we go...

I was going to go with a Seagull-like bird that ACTUALLY hunts for live food as opposed to eating after its been dead for some time?

FloridaPatsFan said:
I was going to go with a Seagull-like bird that ACTUALLY hunts for live food as opposed to eating after its been dead for some time?

Basically, it's just a regular old Hawk, with "Sea" added to it for "Seattle", I guess.

Sounded better than the Seattle Pigeons.

ClosingTime said:
Sounded better than the Seattle Pigeons.
Like steel sounds better than rusted iron? Doesn't all quality steel come from Japan these days anyway?

Zing!!!!
Wow got me with that one.
Well Boston has lost what it was best known for too, all the really hardcore alcoholics come from Alaska these days.

WelcometothaRazor said:
What's a Seahawk?

From what I have learned from living there, and teaching the kiddo's that its

all the Representations of the different Animals on Totem Poles that the Pacific Northwest

Indians would create for their tribes and to the Gods that they believed in...So the Seahawk is a mixture of a sea/air bird like creature....It does have its own story, and this face is used alot on Totem Poles-- I just can't rememer it.....

All Totem Poles have meaning and a story to them....

example: Bear-symbol of strength

Beaver-Symbol of wealth and gives medicine power

Frogs--Symbol means bring good fortune

Salmon--Wealth, Fertility and immortality

orca whale--Bad spirit who brings destruction

thunderbird--Chief of all guardian spirits, causes thunder and lighting...

and so on....

I hope this helps alittle?

Last edited:
WelcometothaRazor said:
well....so its some hybrid Indian creation??

That's......kinda cool?? :confused:

If by "indian" you mean "Coastal Salish" then yeah, I guess so ;)

What the "Totem" poles are, usually, are basically carved cedar poles that identify the owners, inherited crests, (for lack of a better term) and a family history... However, contrary opinions aside, there is really nothing of any religious significance about Totems...

The Stylized "HawK' in the Seahawks' team logo is not an actual native design, but is designed in a native style...

I'm not aware of any actual "Seahawk" type creation by the salish. (My knowledge isn't from teaching, but actually having large numbers of Salish friends, whom I spent lots of time with at coastal gatehrings, potlatches, etc...)

Na_polian said:

What the "Totem" poles are, usually, are basically carved cedar poles that identify the owners, inherited crests, (for lack of a better term) and a family history... However, contrary opinions aside, there is really nothing of any religious significance about Totems...

The Stylized "HawK' in the Seahawks' team logo is not an actual native design, but is designed in a native style...

I'm not aware of any actual "Seahawk" type creation by the salish. (My knowledge isn't from teaching, but actually having large numbers of Salish friends, whom I spent lots of time with at coastal gatehrings, potlatches, etc...)

how did you come about that crew? i never have even heard of Salish....but then again ive never been west of chicago :(

some moree edumacation

seahawkspatriotschick said:
From what I have learned from living there, and teaching the kiddo's that its all the Representations of the different Animals on Totem Poles that the Pacific Northwest Indians would create for their tribes and to the Gods that they believed in...So the Seahawk is a mixture of a sea/air bird like creature....It does have its own story, and this face is used alot on Totem Poles-- I just can't rememer it.....
All Totem Poles have meaning and a story to them....
example: Bear-symbol of strength
Beaver-Symbol of wealth and gives medicine power
Frogs--Symbol means bring good fortune
Salmon--Wealth, Fertility and immortality
orca whale--Bad spirit who brings destruction
thunderbird--Chief of all guardian spirits, causes thunder and lighting...
and so on....
I hope this helps alittle?

there you go, patschick.
i've been there a couple times, got to spend a few days. if youse haven't been to the pacific northwest, GO. nice experrience, and reminder thyt this crowded, dirty, huddled-together lifestyle here in the east is NOT the way other americans live their lives.
so seattle is unlikee any city in the northeast---it is surely cosmopolitan--bur there's a 14,000 foot mountain hanging over the city -- the sky is huge.

seahawk---the figure on the helmets is actually a traditional representatioon of an osprey. "seahawk", WHICH DOES NOT EXIST, is a name that won a community contest. logo, colors, art, all that stuff was created by the franchise in collaboration with the area indian nations.
chesk out link below.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/01/0124_030124_NFLanimals.html

WelcometothaRazor said:
how did you come about that crew? i never have even heard of Salish....but then again ive never been west of chicago :(

Well, the Salish Culture is basically the American/Canadian Indians of the Northwest - there's Coastal Salish, Salish, Haida, Tlingit, Aleut, and many others out this way - various tribes make up the Salish cultures...

It's interesting to learn about, as my family is from an eastern woodlands culture, so a pacific coast culture is very different (but even some of the similarities are striking...).

Anyway... that's how I came about this crew - living around and among them for many many years :)

ilduce06410 said:
there you go, patschick.
i've been there a couple times, got to spend a few days. if youse haven't been to the pacific northwest, GO. nice experrience, and reminder thyt this crowded, dirty, huddled-together lifestyle here in the east is NOT the way other americans live their lives.
so seattle is unlikee any city in the northeast---it is surely cosmopolitan--bur there's a 14,000 foot mountain hanging over the city -- the sky is huge.

seahawk---the figure on the helmets is actually a traditional representatioon of an osprey. "seahawk", WHICH DOES NOT EXIST, is a name that won a community contest. logo, colors, art, all that stuff was created by the franchise in collaboration with the area indian nations.
chesk out link below.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/01/0124_030124_NFLanimals.html

That's not a mountain - it's a volcano - and ya DON'T wanna be here when it goes. (In fact several of the mountains you can see in the area are active volcanoes :rocker: )

:D

big sky people

Na_polian said:

it must be a very diverse community. seems that the territory stretches from coeur d'alene to the coast. mountain folks, farming, cattle, ocean. are there tribes within the nation, or is it a tribe itself?

ilduce06410 said:
it must be a very diverse community. seems that the territory stretches from coeur d'alene to the coast. mountain folks, farming, cattle, ocean. are there tribes within the nation, or is it a tribe itself?

Well, "Salish" is a cultural construct, as is "Coastal Salish". It's basically a large number of tribes with similar or identical cultures. "Salish", obviously, is the inland tribes (yes, all the way out into coeur d'alene area etc..) while the "Coastal Salish" are the coastal tribes, including the peninsula, and up into BC and maybe Alaska, and south into Oregon...

so is seattle the only major city within an 8 or 900 mile radius? you'd think they'd have a HUGE fanbase out there....

what a mystery that city is to the rest of the country now that i think about it....it really is out there

i REALLY want to see Vancouver though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye