PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh* If only we had more posters like the OP, and fewer like the one directly above. . . .

Vontae Davis is making big plays in big games. Darius Butler has been moved to Nickel in place of Springs. He kept getting penalties called against him, because he has no field sense. The Pats had 4 picks in the 2nd round of the draft, they were Patrick Chung, Ron Brace, Sebastian Vollmer and Darius Butler. One starter out of the four.

I shouldn't have to list this again but I will Vontae Davis, Michael Oher, James Laurinaitis, Clay Matthews are all rookie of the year candidates. All available when the Pats went bargain shopping with their draft.

They also played at big time schools, they weren't no names, they were highly touted All-Americans coming out of college.

This team is CHEAP. I am not sure why, for some reason they refuse to adapt to the the ballooning salary cap. Wilfolk will be the next great player to walk and the Seymour trade was stupid because it hurt them in 2009 and won't help them till 2011, and for reason above 2012. If Bill had made the right tweaks they could have been like the Colts and got a few more years out of the dynasty and maybe a Super Bowl. Polian the GM has been superior to Belichick/Pioli the GM since 2004. It's at least 2012 before this team retools, and by the way, Brady is 35 at that time. That is if the Patriots haven't let him go because they don't want to pay him. Maybe the Kraft need about 5 years of missing the playoffs to realize how spending money translates into winning. It's not 2004, the Salary Cap era is pretty much over, EVERYONE is under the cap now. Wake up Patriot nation.

You are ignorant. It's not name calling given the evidence you have cited. Please try arguing politics somewhere because it might be easier on your sensibilities. But thank you for the entertainment, now, go out and enjoy the holidays, you deserve it.

Vontae Davis is making big plays in big games. Darius Butler has been moved to Nickel in place of Springs. He kept getting penalties called against him, because he has no field sense. The Pats had 4 picks in the 2nd round of the draft, they were Patrick Chung, Ron Brace, Sebastian Vollmer and Darius Butler. One starter out of the four.

I shouldn't have to list this again but I will Vontae Davis, Michael Oher, James Laurinaitis, Clay Matthews are all rookie of the year candidates. All available when the Pats went bargain shopping with their draft.

They also played at big time schools, they weren't no names, they were highly touted All-Americans coming out of college.

This team is CHEAP. I am not sure why, for some reason they refuse to adapt to the the ballooning salary cap. Wilfolk will be the next great player to walk and the Seymour trade was stupid because it hurt them in 2009 and won't help them till 2011, and for reason above 2012. If Bill had made the right tweaks they could have been like the Colts and got a few more years out of the dynasty and maybe a Super Bowl. Polian the GM has been superior to Belichick/Pioli the GM since 2004. It's at least 2012 before this team retools, and by the way, Brady is 35 at that time. That is if the Patriots haven't let him go because they don't want to pay him. Maybe the Kraft need about 5 years of missing the playoffs to realize how spending money translates into winning. It's not 2004, the Salary Cap era is pretty much over, EVERYONE is under the cap now. Wake up Patriot nation.

IDLE THOUGHTS

touche' for lil geddie

Go away, try clownstalkpats.com.

4. Back to the offense. I'm having a real problem with the offense. I don't know who to blame. Is it the coordinator, or is it Brady.QUOTE]

For my money, I blame Brady and the OC for our dismal performance on offense.

1.) The OC is running a bland offense with no creativity. Vanilla and these 3 and outs have got to stop. Heck we have no explosive playmakers in the return game, and a defense that causes very few turnovers, so we have to move the ball a long ways when we get it and sometimes you have to be creative in the play calling to keep a defense honest. Since we have at least 2 Tight ends on the field for most downs, how about a tight end screen?

2.) And Brady for not using all his weapons. It used to be Brady would say my favorite receiver is the open one, now it is look for Welker, if he is not open throw it long for Moss. Brady needs to use the Tight ends, checkdowns and outlet receivers more. Give the defense multiple weapons to worry about and spread them around so eight guys are not covering Welker.

PS: that was the worst game I have ever seen Brady play. I don't want to hear about injury excuses. If it is too painful to execute the game plan that is drawn up then tell the coaches on Wedensday so they make some adjustments that don't hurt so much. That way we are all saved the pain of watching a putrid performance on Sunday.

Last edited:
It's only one play, but Meriweather had the game over if he makes the fourth down tackle a yard short of the first down. He hit the receiver and didn't even attempt to wrap him up. Not sure exactly what he was doing, perhaps trying to deflect the pass? Just terrible situational football when a clean tackle finishes off the game.

What he was doing was trying to make a ESPN highlight reel rather than wrapping up and making sure the receiver was stopped short of the first down. He's got talent but he's also still relatively young. Hope he gets a better understanding of situational football the more he plays.

This team is CHEAP. I am not sure why, for some reason they refuse to adapt to the the ballooning salary cap.
Wake up Patriot nation.

You've lost me (and I expect most every other poster here) when you apparently claim that the Patriots need to spend more money which they can only do either by putting themselves in salary cap hell or by violating NFL rules (since they spend to the salary cap every year).

I agree; it's time to wake up.

Why are you lost when a poster has no understanding of the salary cap and demostrates that fact over and over again? The poster has been exceedingly consistent in demonstrating his ignorance (and arrogance).

You've lost me (and I expect most every other poster here) when you apparently claim that the Patriots need to spend more money which they can only do either by putting themselves in salary cap hell or by violating NFL rules (since they spend to the salary cap every year).

I agree; it's time to wake up.

I haven't been around for a while so this post will include some thoughts that go beyond today's game. As always I apologize in advance for any redundancies.

1. Watching Brady play today made me appreciate all that he's accomplished in the past even more. Today he was merely mortal. A decent NFL QB, playing in an offense that is clearly struggling to find itself.

He is clearly hurting and its affecting his accuracy on the short balls and his ability to deliver on the long ones. If this team has hopes of going beyond winning one home playoff game, Brady will have to somehow get healthy enough to regain his touch.

2. I can't tell you how happy I am that reports from Jaws and Hodge have laid the LIE to all the hand wringing media mongers who were ready to dismiss Randy Moss. The fact is that MOST NFL players could be savaged by isolating 3-5 plays from any game. What they did to Moss was patently UNFAIR, and only showed how ignorant of the game some of these guys are...even the ones who should know better.

3. That being said, the sad fact is that IMHO Randy Moss is no longer among the elite WRs in the league. I think that NOW a few of the top CBs CAN cover him one on one. That doesn't mean that he's done. NO! Not by any means. Instead of being one of the top 3 WRs in the league, he's now one of the top 12. I know I don't have a problem with that. The fact remains that when a guy gets to his age, with all that mileage, you just have to lower your expectations a tad.

IMHO he is now "just" a VERY good WR, who is still capable of making the occassional spectacular play. Im glad he's on our team and Michael Felger can go F**k himself. ;).

4. Back to the offense. I'm having a real problem with the offense. I don't know who to blame. Is it the coordinator, or is it Brady. Either way some how IMHO, we aren't utilizing all the talent that is there.

First for some reason the TE has ceased to be an integral part of our passing attack. Its not only never sending Watson up the seam, but what happened to the TE screens, the delays, and short dump offs that SHOULD be open given the attention given to Moss and Welker.'

Secondly, we also have forgotten our RBs as wide receivers. Early in the 4th quarter on a third down pass, Brady forced a ball into a well covered Welker, when Kevin Faulk was totally UNCOVERED in the flat....no one within 10 yds of him. (I point out this play because it is not often that you get a camera angle that allows you to see this). I would think that delays and dump offs to our RBs would be VERY successful, especially as more an more teams send pressure on Brady.

5. Moroney is pretty much shutting up the haters. Good for him...though I'd like to see more of him in the passing game

6. On the defensive side. - Well it was nice to see some Ron Brace footage. It wasn't always pretty, but I saw enough positives, IMHO, to feel better about him. After that first drive, I was thinking its all his fault, but then I took a closer look.

The good thing was that he wasn't being blown OFF the LOS. Where he got into trouble was that the double team was able to TURN him and move him DOWN the LOS, widening the hole. That is just a matter of recognition and technique, and that's just a matter of time and experience. If I were the DC, when I had Brace in there, I'd be slanting or gapping him as often as I could. Keeping him aggressive and not having to read and react.

7. That being said, I thought the DC did a very good job, given the injuries he had to deal with. The blitzes were effective, and the disguises were good enough that even when we only rushed 4 or 5, we got good pressure.

8. Is it just me, or is anyone else "underwhelmed" with the play of Jerard Mayo this season. Can you think of a single play in recent games that he made that made you go "wow". I can't.

9. You know how you felt after the Colt and Miami games. You know, that sickening feeling that drove you to think about anything EXCEPT football for about half a week. Well, think about this. How would you like to be a poor Jet fan, and have had that sick feeling FIVE TIMES this season, because that's how many Colt type loses they have had this season including today. Man it has GOT to be painful.

As a regular contributor over at Jetsinsider, its so bad after today, that I don't have the heart to post. I mean, its so bad, that I'm feeling sorry for them. All that pain, with NONE of the upside to fall back on. You just have to admire the tenacity :D

10. Bad day for the punter, I hope he's renting. Speaking of special teams, anyone one else notice that the Ghost is no longer booming his KOs into the endzone. Today ALL his KOs barely got to the 10. What's up with that?

11. Tough game this week. I'm bitterly disappoint at how well Jacksonville is playing this season. At the start of their season, it looked like their second round pick would bring us a guy in the 30's, and now we will be lucky to get on in the 50's. Damned them. ;)

Here's to your knowledgeable observations, and a return to good health for our players.

Very nice observations here.. The problems we have on offense, especially in the 2nd half is quite disturbing.

For me, it is the new elephant in the room that is threatening us with an one and out for the playoffs.

I saw Faulk open on two separate occasions on a third down and for whatever reason, Brady chooses to force it into Welker or throw it deep. Maybe he lost his confidence with Faulk after that bobbled catch in Indy, I don't know. Its very frustrating to not see Brady spread the ball around like he used to.

Amen! This is a big big mistake IMO. and probably why the offense is not
like it use to be. It is a mentality that Brady has developed. It seems
Randy and Wes are 80% his 1st and second reads. He has had so much
success with them he tries to squeeze it in when there is probably a better
open guy. His old motto "My favorite receiver is the open one" is no longer
his motto. He has become too buddy buddy with these guys and is making
a ton of had decisions because of it. IMO

Very nice observations here.. The problems we have on offense, especially in the 2nd half is quite disturbing.

For me, it is the new elephant in the room that is threatening us with an one and out for the playoffs.

You know, all year I have been saying that if we should have a problem anywhere, it's good for it to be with the O because we know Brady will straighten it out. Now I'm wondering if we won't see it straightened out until the 2010 season.

Salary Cap??? You're not one of those dopes that still thinks there is a salary cap? That's what the Patriots say when they cheap out on someone. Poster, don't be a lemming, the Pats are a mediocre 9-5 team, you spend your free time watching them and posting for them don't believe everything they say. You sound like one of those Kooks who follow political websites.

The Salary cap is so big now, there is no reason you can't keep your players. Also, if the Pats didn't wait till their best players were in their final years they wouldn't have this problem. Example: Asante, Branch, Brady and Wilfolk. If they extended Brady 2 years ago they could have gotten him for about 90 million, now he's going to ask for 115 million if he's smart.

The Pats have about 20 free agents this year, most of who won't be returning, its not the salary cap. I mean you people are obtuse.

In his mind, geddie zero zero thinks you are fat.

This guy is Deus Irae when he's not thinking.

Salary Cap??? You're not one of those dopes that still thinks there is a salary cap? That's what the Patriots say when they cheap out on someone. Poster, don't be a lemming, the Pats are a mediocre 9-5 team, you spend your free time watching them and posting for them don't believe everything they say. You sound like one of those Kooks who follow political websites.

The Salary cap is so big now, there is no reason you can't keep your players. Also, if the Pats didn't wait till their best players were in their final years they wouldn't have this problem. Example: Asante, Branch, Brady and Wilfolk. If they extended Brady 2 years ago they could have gotten him for about 90 million, now he's going to ask for 115 million if he's smart.

The Pats have about 20 free agents this year, most of who won't be returning, its not the salary cap. I mean you people are obtuse.

Folks, this is what can happen to the impressionable mind bereft of numeracy and critical thinking skills when listening to mediots like Felger blather incessantly. Do not let this happen to those you love.

Amen! This is a big big mistake IMO. and probably why the offense is not
like it use to be. It is a mentality that Brady has developed. It seems
Randy and Wes are 80% his 1st and second reads. He has had so much
success with them he tries to squeeze it in when there is probably a better
open guy. His old motto "My favorite receiver is the open one" is no longer
his motto. He has become too buddy buddy with these guys and is making
a ton of had decisions because of it. IMO
It actually showed as early as the 2006 AFCCG when Tommy tried to force the ball to Watson and bypassed an open Heath Evans along the sideline where he could have picked up a first down and extra yardage before ducking out of bounds to kill the clock. 2007 just made it worse because Randy and Wes were just that much more gifted.

This is your brain on drugs! Any questions?

Why are you lost when a poster has no understanding of the salary cap and demostrates that fact over and over again? The poster has been exceedingly consistent in demonstrating his ignorance (and arrogance).

I was attempting to temper my response with grace. (I know, it's a lost art on this board. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down